speaking to a New Testament class, suggestions wanted

by streets76 5 Replies latest jw friends

• streets76
    streets76

I work in the Information department of a small private college. The professor of Religious Studies has asked me to come to his Survey of the New Testament class and talk about Jehovah's Witnesses -- what they believe, what it was like growing up in the movement, ect., whatever.

So what do you think I should share? What approach should I take? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• dawg
    dawg

You must (in my opinion) tell the complete unadutrated truth about everything that you know complete with Beth Sarim and the false predictions. Including the good things about the witnesses like current race relations and the like will make you not come off as smug and angry...even thought you may well be! Good luck my friend!

• Marie Devine
    Marie Devine

Jesus came saying Repent, His message was to the Jews here is our word for today. Concentrate on the first few paragraphs. God Bless You. Marie

Peace and Unity Come with Religious Corrections and Restoration
    Evidences Here

Note: The Catholic Church did away with all things Jewish as prophecy foretold, and changed times (changed lunar calendar for solar calendar and added months). They changed seasons (holy days: changed from Passover, Day of Atonement and Feast of Tabernacles, and Holy Sabbath of no work, to Easter, Christmas and Sunday observance.)

No reformer has restored what God said was the Law for the Jew and the stranger that dwelt among them .. as God said would be done... The one who would come, would magnify the law and make it honorable (Proverbs 28). This included the circumcision which was needed to keep the passover.

The goal is one united world worshiping God the way He commanded the Jews.

Proverbs 28:4 They that forsake the law praise the wicked; but such as keep the law contend with them.

Deuteronomy 13: God will prove us with false prophets even doing great signs and wonders, but saying not to follow God's word, but to change His ways.

Jesus always pointed to God and His word:
    Matthew 7:21 not those who say Lord, Lord, but those who do the will of
    my father shall enter the kingdom of God

John 17:17 Sanctify them through Thy truth, Thy word is truth

John 7:22, 23 If a man on the Sabbath day receive circumcision that the law of Moses not be broken….

John 1:1, 14 The Word of God was God and became flesh

Hebrews 13:8 The same yesterday, today and forever

Deuteronomy 4:2 and 12:32 Add not nor diminish from the word I give you

Joshua 5:1-8, 9 God told him to circumcise the men, and :9 This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you.

Isaiah 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake;
    he will magnify the law and make it honorable.

1John 3:4 Sin is transgression of the law (Torah- 5 books of Moses)

Romans 2:25 Circumcision profits if you also keep the law
    3:31 Faith... establishes the law

7:12 "the law is holy and the commandment holy, and just, and good."

15:8 Jesus Christ was a minister of the circumcision for the truth of God, to
    confirm the promises made unto the fathers."

1 Corinthians 5:7,8 Christ is our passover, therefore Keep the passover.

Exodus 12:43-49 No uncircumcised man can eat the passover.

Luke 22:15,16 Jesus will eat passover with us in Kingdom of God

Luke 16:31 If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded
    though one rise from the dead

Ezekiel 44:6-9 no uncircumcised in flesh shall enter the sanctuary
    6 And You shalt say to the rebellious, even to the house of Israel, Thus saith the Lord GOD; O ye house of Israel, let it suffice you of all your abominations,
    7 in that ye have brought into my sanctuary strangers, uncircumcised in heart, and uncircumcised in flesh, to be in my sanctuary, to pollute it, even my house, when ye offer my bread, the fat and the blood, and they have broken my covenant because of all your abominations.
    8 And ye have not kept the charge of mine holy things: but ye have set keepers of my charge in my sanctuary for yourselves.
    9 Thus saith the Lord GOD; No stranger, uncircumcised in heart, nor uncircumcised in flesh, shall enter into my sanctuary, of any stranger that is among the children of Israel.

Isaiah 52:1 Jerusalem, no more uncircumcised and unclean enter
    1 Awake Awake, awake, put on thy strength, O Zion; put on thy beautiful garments, O Jerusalem, the holy city: Rev. 21.2, 27 for henceforth there shall no more come into thee the uncircumcised and the unclean

Luke 16:16-17 not one tittle of law can fail
    (Exodus 12:48-50; Lev. 20:33,34; Numbers 15:15,16 )
    One law for the Jew and for the stranger that dwells among them.

Isaiah 8:20 "To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to
    this word, it is because there is no light in them."

Genesis 17:7-14 Covenant - uncircumcised soul shall be cut off from
    his people - He has broken the covenant

Matthew 5:17-20 Don't break least commandment

1 Chronicles 20:2 Believe the prophets, so shall ye prosper.

Psalm 119 All about the law being forever

Revelation 19:10 Testimony of Jesus: Worship God

Revelation 22:14 "Blessed are they that do His commandments that may have the right to the tree of life. and enter through the gates of the city." (Note: The gates of the city are for the house of Israel, and those who keep the same laws of God.)

God Bless You: From Marie Devine, 430 N Belmont Blvd, Kansas City, Mo 64123-1515 USA

• M.J.
    M.J.

I think you should be fair and objective and not come off as someone with an axe to grind.

Here's a good historical background, which may help: http://www.lulu.com/content/340079

BTW, in reading your title I somehow thought you were speaking with a professed member of the 144,000 ("New Testament class") and needed help.

• hopie
    hopie

Hi Street 76

What a good opportunity to show the WTS as a cult, and how dangerous a cult can be to the individule and family unit.

You can start by asking WHAT IS A CULT

Cult leaders claim they are the (Only Voice of God)

Members are prohibited to question the established teachings

Conformity and mental domination

Isolation: Members are not allowed to socialize with anyone that is not of their own faith, including participation in school programs, such as the arts and sports.

Child molestation and other criminal activities are handled IN HOUSE and are not reported to local civil authorities.

Good Luck,

Hopie

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What you say would depend on whether you had a good time growing up as a dub or not. Some people love it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit