• cecil
    cecil

thanks for the link/info Saint
    interesting... very interesting ideed!

cecil

• Seeker
    Seeker

closer,

Your brother-in-law lacks imagination, for that scenario misses the point.

If the student punches back, will that stop the violence, or escalate it further? The only reason that punching back stops the violence is that the attacker's only goal is to incite the student to punch back. What if the violence had a real goal? Then punching back will only stop the violence if you are stronger than your attacker. Once the weaker party realizes he is weaker, he can continue to fight back, or he can give up and walk away, or he can walk away and then find another method of hitting back, a method that really hurts the attacker.

A student, tired of being bullied at school every day, might decide to bring in a handgun. A terrorist organization with no chance of defeating the US military might decide to attack soft civilian US targets.

Sometimes it is necessary to punch back. However, if you go around using violence to make a point, expect that eventually the person you attack will change the rules and hit you back in ways that hurt. Those who use violence to teach lessons can expect new violent lessons to return upon them. That is the point a pacifist understands, and why that illustration breaks down upon examination.

This military action today might be necessary, and I support it, but it is not something that deserves a simple illustration that ignores later consequences of such violent lessons.

• Xena
    Xena

"sometimes it is necessary to punch back"

Not always..but sometimes it is necessary...when the talking doesn't work and "time out" doesn't work and they have moved from punching you to punching innocent people around you then sometimes stronger measures have to be taken....

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I personally take no issue with striking back at military locations. What they did was beyond a cheap shot below the belt.

closer

Mean People Produce
    Little Mean People

• cynicus
    cynicus
    This military action today might be necessary, and I support it, but it is not something that deserves a simple illustration that ignores later consequences of such violent lessons.

I agree. My point was that loss of life is IMO never something to cheer about. These Afghan soldiers, and many, not to say most, of the 'terrorists' being bombed at this moment, are indoctrinated by fundamentalists. Their deeds are certainly wrong and their support for that system is certainly wrong too. But do they deserve death?

Isn't that the same line of reasoning that is used by some to explain why little children and other innocent parties HAD to drown in Noah's flood? Or why it was a blessing to hold a Mesopotamian baby by the feet and smash its head into a rock (Ps. 137:9)?

I hope that the blow dealt this night will be a success. I hope that real terrorists and their primitive fascistoid leadership will be taught a lesson long overdue. However, I'm afraid that in the end too many innocent bystanders, some indoctrinated by a fascistoid retarded form of religion, shall pay the price.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

It is at msnbc

http://www.msnbc.com/news/639389.asp

Oct. 7 — In a video released Sunday by Arab TV, alleged terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden issued a statement calling the terrorist attacks in the United States a curse by God. He said the attacks were a “payback” for injustices suffered by Muslims — such as children dying in Iraq and Palestinians being killed in the Middle East. It appears from the tape that the statement was made Sept. 11, the day of the terrorist attacks.

Today, God has cursed the United States with its own deeds, for God has destroyed some of its greatest buildings, and the United States was filled with terror from its West to its East and from its North to its South.
    So we thank God.
    And what the United States is tasting today is what we have been tasting for tens of years.
    For our nation, for more than 80 years, has been tasting this terror.
    And our people have been killed, and our blood has been shed. And our holy grounds have been disrespected. And we have called for help and got none.

U.S. BEING PAID BACK
    It is one of Islam’s soldiers whom God has given the wisdom to pay back the United States. When they answered this degradation, the whole world came to attack us.
    One million children died in Iraq to this minute. They were blameless, but they were killed. And we have heard nothing from our leaders.

To this date, the Israeli tanks destroyed Palestine in Ramallah ... and other Islamic lands. And no one has come to their aid.
    So if the sword comes upon the United States after 81 years, they should understand why it came.
    We should say they are hypocrites. They gave victory to cowards, so God should allow anything to happen to them.
    I want to say that it’s very clear it is every Muslim’s role after what happened and after what the United States is planning to the international centers. They have come out with their men and their military to fight Islam, and it is our role to defend Islam.
    They have come to attack Allah’s religion.
    They have come to fight Islam.
    And they tell the world they are fighting terrorism.

WORLD SPLIT IN TWO HALVES

Millions of children in Iraq were never mentioned, and hundreds of thousands of Palestinians were not mentioned. But in Nairobi, when a few Americans died, it was a world event.
    I want to say these offenses have split the world in two halves — the faithful and the sinners, those that are not with Allah.
    It is the role of every Muslim to understand the winds of war are upon us, and it’s our calling to defend Islam.
    I want to say to the United States, I swear to Allah who has breathed the sun to the sky, that ... the United States will have no peace until every sinner, until every Israeli, has left Palestinian lands.
    May God bless you.

• ISP
    ISP

The Taliban Official has confirmed that none of their 'holy warriors' were killed in the missile attacks, however heavy casualities are reported from falling food parcels.

ISP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit