Phrases that control the mind and thinking

by Gill 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Some of the words that I always look out for in Watchtower literature are the following:

Without doubt.....

Evidently.....

Obviously......

We can conclude from this........

Can you think of more?

A lot has to be learnt from Blondie's Watchtower studies and some of it is that when the WT society has no evidence for a supposition it plants one of these phrases that suggest stupidity on the part of the reader if he/she doesn't agree with what idea the Watchtower Society has come up with!

So....any more 'Mind Control Phrases' that you can think of?

• Zico
    Zico

Apparently... AND It is logical to conclude... The latter used when it isn't always even logical.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Gill,

One that a lot used in the ministry, but I didn't like using, was "honest-hearted people will agree...."
    To me, that implied that if the unsuspecting victim householder was dishonest if they didn't agree.
    I used to cringe when I heard anyone use it, and get ready to run if the householder got pi$$ed
    with us for implying they were dishonest

dedpoet

• Gill
    Gill

Zico - Great ones!

I also noticed - 'If you truly love Jehovah.....' you will do this or that, meaning 'if you truly love the WTBTS you will blindly follow everything it says.'

• Gill
    Gill

dedpoet - Absolutely! If you don't agree with everything they say you are therefore NOT 'Honest hearted!' What an insult!

One that Blondie points out regularly is the 'True Christian' line. This implies that everyone who is NOT a JW is NOT a True Christian. Extremely Arrogant!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

How about,

"Would you not agree...."

"Should"

"Train our thinking..."

Any study questions that asks how the reader should FEEL or ACT. For example, from WT April 1, 2007, page 30 "How can we demonstrate our obedience and submission?" "What should be our attitude toward our overseers?"

The language of the Watchtower is often in the third person, and passive. Big words are used when little would do. This type of writing clouds meaning rather than clarifies. This writing style would never pass in a secular publication.

An example of third person,

Nurse Chappell. "Now, how are we feeling this morning Mr. Brown?"

Does Nurse Chappell really want to know how she is feeling? Then why would she phrase her question this way? It's an attempt to set up a connection with the patient that does not exist. Also, to directly ask the patient how he is feeling may set in motion a cascade of emotion that Nurse Chappell is not prepared to deal with.

I've also seen the Watchtower place "quotes" if they want to imply that the bible really isn't saying plainly what it appears to be saying. It's a signal that the reader is not to take those words literally.

• carla
    carla

'it is reasonable', 'you will agree', 'it seems' , 'we can conclude' , 'it may', there are many examples in wt literature that actually implies some ambiguity except the jw takes it as fact. My jw often used to start a conversation with 'you will agree', ha, now why would I do that? I'm his wife not a door. If you try to point out that the wt doesn't actually say something is fact but rather may, or could have, the jw will only say that the gb is annointed blah, blah, blah. Or that if it could have happened that way then it is a matter of interpretation and they choose the wt's interpretations.

• bernadette
    bernadette

Here are a few from May 1 W - ha ha

If you turn your back on Jehovah.......

the many clear indications....

We do know that .....

Would it not stand to reason...

God-frearing friends...

• Gill
    Gill

Jgnat and Carla - There are so many 'crafty phrases'!

A lot are used in ambiguous situations or even when they are trying to leave a 'back door' open for themselves to wriggle out of should their 'interpretation' of something ever change.

The average JW takes these phrases as fact. This is half of the problem.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

According to one writer...

Researchers have shown...

Experts note...

Many agree...

(Who the heck *are* these people? Are they made up? Why should the reader believe anything from an anonymous source?)

As we shall see, ...

True, ...

Just as..., so can...

Despite...

Not surprisingly...

It is generally understood...

..., concluded one study.

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit