why have jws got so many women among thier ranks?

by cyrus 25 Replies latest jw friends

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

It's not just JWs, any "new" religion, whether it's evangelicals moving into new areas (South and Central America are *huge* for conversions) or new religions altogether, those who feel powerless and disenfranchised under the former regime look to new religion to give them a different kind of power (recognition, social legitimacy).

Also, lots of these women are looking for religion to solve their problems with their husbands/families - alcoholism, abuse, etc. What they don't know isthat sometimes the new religion makes things worse.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Virgins for all the divorced brothers and for those contemplating divorce.

Warlock

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Sadly, a lot of these women are starved for ANY male notice. To have Brother Kind N. Studly give you his full attention for a few minutes, one on one, is heaven on earth. Especially when they are going home to Mr. Fartbelch N. Complain.

LOL, Gregor! Sad, but true, nevertheless.

lots of these women are looking for religion to solve their problems with their husbands/families - alcoholism, abuse, etc. What they don't know isthat sometimes the new religion makes things worse.

asleif, I think you hit on the main reason there. At least for those being seduced into the WTS ranks.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Frannie,

I'm currently in the middle of a graduate class in the anthropology of religion. We were talking about converts to evangelical religions (my professor works with Maya populations in southern Mexico) and the point about disenfranchised and powerless people (poor families, women) is the generally accepted answer for why people join.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I'm currently in the middle of a graduate class in the anthropology of religion. We were talking about converts to evangelical religions (my professor works with Maya populations in southern Mexico) and the point about disenfranchised and powerless people (poor families, women) is the generally accepted answer for why people join.

Kudos to ya, asleif!

Yep, their looking to make something out of a life of little or nothing. But there's nothing but hot air to build on.

• Gill
    Gill

Women are more gullible than men! (I'm a woman before any of you ladies start complaining!) Women are more likely to have missed out on furthur education opportunities and therefore have less knowledge and critical thinking skills!

Some of the BS I've heard JW women come out with is still making me laugh to this day!

Women are more likely to have been bullied and abused as children and feel more powerless. They are more likely to grab onto some amazing father figure who will protect and care for them.

Women have less power, influence and often money in their lives and tend to feel accurately sometimes that only 'someone else' can get them out of the miserable situations they are sometimes forced into.

• richard
    richard

For whatever it's worth, good old Freud had an answer to that.

From childhood onward, man feels attracted to the parent of the opposite sex. Accordingly, women are attracted to all masculine parental symbols in Christianity - God and Jesus. Following Freud, the masculine leadership of the WTS may function as a surrogate parenthood.

• Gill
    Gill

Excellent point, Richard!

It explains a lot about women in the Watchtower Society and their undying affection for their faceless 'heroes' in the Governing Body!

Sad really!

• Zico
    Zico

Isn't this true of most religions? That they have more female members than male ones. I guess woman are more religiously inclined.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

A survey conducted among more than 140,000 German witnesses showed that 38 per cent were male and 62 per cent female. Once I attended a book study in Florence, Italy. All but the conductor were sisters... I´ve heard that in Russia, some 80 per cent are sisters....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit