Emperor's New Clothes

Some don't see
    Some won't see
    Some see but are forced by groups 1 and 2 to say they see
    Some see and leave

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

cynicus -

Interestingly enough, he immediately added that even if all this were true/untrue, it would not invalidate his loyalty to the Org & GB. After all they were only humans.

I'll never have an opportunity to ask this, but I wonder what he would say if you asked him what it would take for him to realize the Borg didn't deserve his "loyalty"? Ritual Cannibalism? Human sacrifice?

By the way, nice handle, and congrats on one of the creepiest icons I've seen to date.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Funny that something so small as a birthday should have such ramifications. I never accepted that birthdays were wrong but it didn't bother me until I had children. I couldn't teach them something I didn't believe and so they had their parties and presents and balloons. Nothing has ever been quite the same since.

• teejay
    teejay

Welcome, Earnest.

You are right... sometimes it's the small things that mean the most. Having a child changed EVERYTHING for me. Like you, since she got here nothings been the same.

peace,
    tj

You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free, but first it is going to make you incredibly miserable.
    -- Brenda Clark
  • Thirdson
    Thirdson

"Chipping away" is a good term. It took a lot of chipping before I really saw the light. Sometimes, actually frequently, I am embarrassed to admit that I was involved and reached a level of rank within the JW/WTS religion. However, I count myself lucky to have been able to escape. I relied a great deal on the Internet for information but by then my faith in all things Watchtower was already shaken. Seeing the corruption on the inside was the main chunk chipped away for me but the "Generation" change finally did it.

I hope that the general apathy that exists among many still-in will be greatly added to by the UN debacle. Everyone is different and different events shake different people. But the WTS involvement with the UN may shake a lot more people. We will have to see.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• tdogg
    tdogg

I have posted before on this subject since I have the perspective of being an XJW as well as living behind the "zion curtain" in Utah. It is the same thing with Mormons and JW's. By presenting information contrary to their belief you are shaking the foundation that supports their whole world.

Were they to accept the information as indisputable, it would dash all the dreams they have ever had, reder their family apart, and take away whatever hope they have held for the future.

Our minds have defense mechanisms built in to protect from allowing such pain.

The answer is that for some, nothing will change their mind. But there are those who are wondering about things. They are comparing, and considering the possibilities. These questions will echo in the back of their minds and the doubts will add up. One day the scale will tilt toward the side of truth though it may take years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit