Q for doctors out there?

by hamsterbait 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Kudra
    Kudra

My friend has rheumatoid arth. and she is on a medication that weakens her immune system.

I know she has to work really hard to keep healthy and stay away from sick folks...

I don't know what she is on.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

My husband can't take steroids are NSAIDS because of his bleeding history. One orthopedist told him that the chondrotin works for arthritis. I forget what dose he told him to take. We didn't start the chondrotin either. It has it's drawbacks especially in my husband's case.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I think Msmcducket said it all!!!

I also have osteoarthritis, I take 800mg of Ibuprofen three times a day, and on really bad days or when it flares up really bad I have percocet.

Unfortunately, long term use of NSAID's can cause kidney failure, long term use of Tylenol can cause liver failure, and long term use of narcotic pain meds can cause dependence!!!

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Just have to be carefull and have regular follow-up with MD.

Also, for those of you taking prednisone (steroids) this is a bone depleting medication. Make sure your physician orders a baseline bone density scan to make sure it's not having any adverse effects on your bones. I work in the Osteoporosis treatment and prevention center, we also do studies for various drug companies. If anyone has questions, please don't hesitate to ask!!

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit