Is it wrong to hope that a loved one will die?

by Paralipomenon 15 Replies latest jw friends

• unique1
    unique1

There comes a time in some lives where there is no longer what anyone would consider a "good quality" of life. Once that quality of life is gone it is normal for us to wish our loved ones relief. I did that with my grandmother who died of lung cancer and my uncle who died of AIDS. There is only so long that you can watch someone you love suffer before wishing them relief. It is not a bad thing to do so, but rather I see it as a loving reaction.

So sorry to hear that you are experiencing this. My heart goes out to you.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

We don't get to pick what kind of suffering is heaped on us in this world. Some die in their sleep, almost untouched by pain and illness. Others seem to never get a break. Of course it's loving to desire that the latter rest in peace. Once again, prevailing religious traditions have harmed mankind by precluding reasoned moral/ethical debate on this most delicate of issues.

Nvr

• aarque
    aarque

My dad was 82. He was on life support and the doctors told us that he never be off it. Because he had no living will, it was up to us to decide to turn off the respirator. We agreed to turn it off the next day, and that night all the intravenous paraphenalia was removed and a DNR put on him. I hoped he would pass that night. The next morning, we stayed with him until it was over. It was the most devasting, heart-breaking, wrenching moment of my life. It's been nearly two years and still as painful today as it was then.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

I worked as an ICU nurse for 5 years. After a while, you realize that it's really true, WE ALL DIE. I just hope each of us has a peaceful death instead of a long, drawn out, illness with many complications. I hope your grandmother had a full life, and has a peaceful death. I think it's great that you made her happy that one day, even if she did think you were her dad!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I've had to watch many people die. I tried to keep them as comfortable as possible. But, the death of my mother was a little more than I could bare. It was so unexpected. We chose to stop the meds and treatments four months after her anoxic brain injury. I haven't been able to work since. Not only because of mom, but also due to my husband's bad health. It's very depressing and drains all of your energy.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Absolutely not, especially when they've lost their ability to enjoy life and their memories are gone. Everyone around that's related suffers while they suffer.

I wannna quick exit, stage left, if that happens....then again....even if it doesn't happen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit