Jehovah's Witness elder charged with sex assault of girl, 8

by Atlantis 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

(Please delete if already posted)

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/News/EastVolusia/evlEAST01032707.htm

March 27, 2007

Jehovah's Witness elder charged with sex assault of girl, 8

By LYDA LONGA
    Staff Writer

A Jehovah's Witness elder who investigators said raped a girl when she was 8 years old has been arrested, Volusia County sheriff's officials said Monday.

And now police are anxious to learn whether there are any others who may have been attacked by 40-year-old Henry William Hauch of Mims, who has been charged with sexual battery.

Investigators said Hauch, an elder with the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah's Witness in Titusville, attacked the girl in 1999 when she was 8.

Information about the assault surfaced in June 2006 when the girl -- now 15 -- was discussing sex and boys with her older sister, according to the report. When the sister asked the accuser whether she had ever had sex, she said, "Yes, but it was wrong."

The girl's parents were friends of Hauch's and attended the same church. She told her sibling that she had stayed at the Hauch home sometime in 1999.

The teen said she had to sleep with Hauch and his wife because the couple had no other beds in their residence, the report states. Detectives were able to secure a warrant recently after another woman who claimed she was sexually molested by Hauch came forward in January.

Hauch was released from the Volusia County Branch Jail on Friday after posting $250,000 bail.

Calls to Hauch's business and home were not returned Monday afternoon.

lyda.longa@news-jrnl.com

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The teen said she had to sleep with Hauch and his wife because the couple had no other beds in their residence

I just hate this ignorant bullshit. Couldn't the animal sleep on the floor in the living room? He's about to get some serious man-lovin'.

Ignorance is our greatest enemy of all.

Nvr

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks for posting this, and no I havent seen it posted here before.

• Scully
    Scully
    The teen said she had to sleep with Hauch and his wife because the couple had no other beds in their residence

So why were they inviting other peoples' children over for sleepovers? Why were the victim's parents unaware of the lack of furnishings in the home their child was being invited to? Why is it just now coming to light that the girl was made to feel like she "had to" sleep in the couple's bed? Where did the other kids in the family sleep? Something doesn't add up.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: JWs very foolishly let their guard down and trust people who don't deserve their trust when it comes to someone accepted by the Congregation™ as a Brother™ or Sister™.

• Gill
    Gill

You are frighteningly correct about the 'letting ones guard down' bit, Scully.

One of my JW cousin's little 4 year olds said to my daughter: 'We are Jehovah's Witnesses and Jehovah's Witnesses never do anything bad!'

Fright at his parents shocking stupidity was the first thought that occured to me. They had left their children vulnerable and open to attack with such a foolish belief!

• undercover
    undercover
    JWs very foolishly let their guard down and trust people who don't deserve their trust when it comes to someone accepted by the Congregation™ as a Brother™ or Sister™.

There was an article just recently about the sex offender who became JW while in prison, was released from prison and then picked up by the cops a few months later for being alone in a car with a 14 year old, which was a parole violation. But the 14 year old's parents had given permission for their son to be with this man.

What parent would allow their 14 year old to be alone with a convicted sex offender, converted or not? It boggles the mind. And it goes to show that what Scully said is true; JWs do let their guard down when it comes to fellow worshippers.

• minimus
    minimus

When someone finds the "Truth", they can change and of course, we should trust our brothers. After all, they aren't "worldly". They are in the "Truth"!

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Notice that the little girl had to sleep with him "and his wife". So many times the wives are in on this, turning a blind eye when the actual abuse begins. Abusive men purposely seek out and marry (subjugate) women who will help them further their plans. Hell - she could have even been asleep in the same bed while it happened. And many times because they seem like "such a nice couple" people let their guard down and let their children stay over with these people.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

"What parent would allow their 14 year old to be alone with a convicted sex offender, converted or not?"

Well, we had a sex offender going out in service regularly when I was pioneering. I had my young son, as well as the children I babysat. This brother would lead out in service (because there were not any other males). He would assign himself to my car group regularly. I asked the elders to please not allow this, please do something. Of course, you get in trouble if you go against the brothers car group arrangements or door to door assignments. Did they do something? No, except make sure that THEIR children were not in the car groups. Me - I just got into trouble for "gossiping". So there is your mindset as to why a child would be in a car with a sex offender..... I did not allow my son to be alone with him, but I had to fight tooth and nail for that.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Strange story, perhaps I am naive, but would the wife, in the same bed, really allow this to happen?

I take the points raised by other posters, and I recognize that the authorities have believed it.

Talking about familiarity with children, We (me and Sister Blues) stayed with friends once and the little girl, under five, came to the bedroom door early morning and wanted to jump into our bed. We soundly refused , it did not seem right, - The little girl was upset and her mother clearly thought we were being unfriendly.. But it always seemed clear to me to keep a respectful distance ...Some parents though seem to think otherwise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit