Can someone explain to me in layman's terms about book of Daniel?

by themonster123 4 Replies latest jw friends

• themonster123
    themonster123

I studied the book of Daniel, but I'm just curious where the Society went wrong about the statue, (toes, metal, clay etc.) and king of north and king of south

....and ESP. Dan 2:44 ("And in the days of those kings the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be brought to ruin. And the kingdom itself will not be passed on to any other people. It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it itself will stand to times indefinite.")

For the longest time, this scripture (and Daniel's whole dream) has been a huge reason I was a Witness, but, again, I never delved deep into explaining it to myself (w/o the Daniel book we studied in bookstudy). Maybe I'm reading it through Witness eyes, but could someone explain to me how the Society is wrong about the whole Daniel dream thing? (in an easy-to-understand way!) Thanks. :)

• Narkissos
  • Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In laymen's tems: Daniel was trippin'.

Basing your life path and present-day decisions on the hallucinations of a caveman is generally not a good idea.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

The danger of offering an explanation when not a prophet, not inspired, not a contempory of Daniel and educated as he was is potentially to build another golden calf of understanding. As such any competing understanding of the book of Daniel runs the risk of replacing one distorting mirror with another. I'd stay away from trying to understand something that is of no consequence to our day to day life and stick with trying to get to the nub of love, kindness, compassion, charity and hope which are more approachable (scripturally) and will arguably expand the opportunities for happiness more than a poorly made statue with dodgy feet :)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Try reading this page also, it'll take about 20 minutes or more, but it'll help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Daniel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit