Did anyone see this story?

by zagor 10 Replies latest jw friends

• zagor
    zagor

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1712803.html?menu=news.quirkies

Headteacher bans hot cross buns

A school in Suffolk has banned hot cross buns - in case they offend pupils from religious minorities. Head teacher Tina Jackson asked for the crosses to be removed from all buns supplied by caterers in case it upset some of her pupils who are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Parents have accused her of "political correctness gone mad" reports The Sun. But Miss Jackson, of The Oaks primary school in Ipswich, said: "For our students who are Jehovah's Witnesses, hot cross buns are not part of their beliefs.

"We decided to have the cross removed in respect of their beliefs."

The local Vicar, Father Haley Dossor, said: "I'd be amazed if anyone was offended by the cross on a bun. The school is wrong to act like this."

I bet JWs are ecstatic about this case but wonder if they would show the same respect for other people's beliefs ...hmmmm

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Where is this story? UK?

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

yes, it is in the UK.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I seem to recall seeing this story on this forum maybe a coupla years ago. I've been here since 03, so it has to be since then.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Yes, I too remember a story like this, perhaps this has happened more than once.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I think this is a fine idea!

And while they are at it, I would like to see the "Plus Sign" removed from Math classes, as it also has the shape of The Cross.

And let's remove the "Multiplication Sign" as well, since it is a corrupted version of the upright cross, which symbolizes torture (and Lord know, Multiplication Tables ARE torture).

And lets follow the plan of that school in Kansas, and set the value of Pi to exactly "3", since that is the value that the Bible gives it, as shown by the measurements of the copper vats in Solomon's Temple.

So what if the Asian countries are beating the West in Math and Science? They'll never be a serious threat! We're the U S of Ayyy, and we'll always be on top! Yee Haw!

• greendawn
    greendawn

She is far too sensitive to worry about the cross being troublesome just because some weirdos like the dubs believe that the cross had pagan origins. So what even if it did, will that make the cross a source of harmful pagan influence? To the Christians it has a christian meaning and that is what really matters. Or is she herself Jewish and doesn't like the cross to begin with?

• Clam
    Clam

They could do a special bun for the Dubs with just one stripe instead of a cross. A Torture Stake Bun so to speak.

• neverin
    neverin

This story is from last year and I asked my elder dad what he thought at the time. He said that it was not up to JWs to tell others not to eat hot x buns but that a JW would not eat one. I blame the head teacher for giving in to one pushy parent, what next ban Christmas because it might offend one or two zealots? For goodness sakes, why are some people afraid of 'offending' a minority?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

LOL Captain Schmideo!

I just wish they would find a reason to ban mince pies because they are yucky and putrid!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit