Scripted Comments Only at WT Study - ?

by compound complex 21 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

*** be (2002) p. 70 par. 2 Know How You Ought to Answer ***

When called on to comment, keep your remarks simple, clear, and brief. Do not cover the entire paragraph; address just one point. If you give only part of the answer, that will allow others the opportunity to give additional comments. It is especially beneficial to highlight the scriptures cited in the material. When doing so, endeavor to draw attention to the portion of the text that bears on the point under consideration. Learn to comment in your own words rather than reading directly from the paragraph. Do not become disturbed if a comment you make does not come out exactly right. That happens occasionally to everyone who comments.

*** sg (1992) study 18 p. 91 par. 4 Improving Your Answers ***

If you are the first one to comment on a question, it is usually good to come to grips with it, giving a direct answer. But if someone has already answered the question, do not feel that the discussion has to end there. For additional comments on the same question, you can do any of these things: Enlarge on the answer, show how scriptures in the paragraph bear on the answer, or point out how the matter being discussed affects our own lives. If the material is about world conditions or practices of false religion, you might comment on an experience or local situation that highlights the truthfulness of what the paragraph says. This enriches the discussion.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Friends, for your personal thoughts, experiences and reference material. I see that an orderly and systematic coverage of all group study materials - with a modicum of leeway permitted - is what the Society has "encouraged" for quite some time. It is important to review their written word, such as it is. Then we can know if one is straying from the path.
    Too bad it ain't the right path.

CoCo

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just remember this: Indoctrination without control does not work as well or as quickly. The number of paragraphs, the precise style in which it is considered, number of scriptures that can be discussed. Trust me; the society knows that no one want to spend two hours at a book study, so the R&F will follow the plan pretty closely.

In almost 40 years as a Witless, I never saw it drift too far from the sales plan.

Jeff

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I missed the days when people actually did research and add great comments to questions at BS and WT study.

The WT study is the most boring hour. esp when you study before ......it was the hardest hour for me to sit through.

I think people are scared to answer any questions in their own words for fear of sounding apostate or leaning upon their own thinking.

purps

• Cellist
    Cellist

In the last year we attended meetings I quit prestudying. I did my underlining at the meeting, it helped me keep awake. I didn't particularly care what anyone thought about my study habits.

Cellist

• moshe
    moshe

Heaven forbid it should contradict what the WT says.

that highlights the truthfulness of what the paragraph says.
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thanx again for the last few comments.

The subject of WT control comes up frequently, especially in "Comments You Will Not Hear at the 3/25/07 WT Study." If any one happens to read this and cares to reply, do you feel it's just typical cultish control, or do you believe there is an ULTIMATE goal the GB hopes to achieve?

Not intending to sound like a conspiracy theorist,

CoCo

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

i wanted to add that I have been asked before the meeting to read a scripture from a certain paragraph when doing the WT lesson.

I wonder how many pre-planned answers there are.

purps

• blondie
    blondie

For the Monday night pre-study of the WT at Bethel, all the questions are pre-assigned some weeks ahead all to men and those elders and MS. They put quite a bit of time into the research of their answers although are limited in time in giving it. If anyone knows how much research a Bethelite puts into their once every 2 years "privilege" of commenting on the day's text at the table chaired by that week's member of the GB, you can imagine how much time goes into this. And it is not even a meeting at a KH. Some local KH conductors assign out scriptures and answers to people they feel they can count on to be there and answer. I have seen this especially in congregations where it is "like pulling teeth" to get the rank and file to answer. The conductor likes to "prime the pump." But it is not a requirement from on high. If they did do that, I'm sure that attendance would drop even more at the WT study considering how many fail to show up when they have a talk assigned at the school. Usually, what has happened is that a CO is going through the circuit for the first time and encountering the long-winded answerers. Considering that the WT conductor has only 30 minutes (no reading of paragraphs) to conduct when the CO visits, it was be a challenge to stay on time. Blondie

• troucul
    troucul

who's the harlot now?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit