BEER THREAD

by nvrgnbk 403 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Picked a random pack of craft beer from a drive through beer and wine store in Ohio for Christmas at Awake&Watching's fest. We all laughed when we looked at the letters on the cap! I think this should be the official "JWD Beer".

JWDbeer.jpg picture by tubegirl

• Bumble Bee
  • nvrgnbk
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Possibly one of the best beers ever.

A Beautiful Glass of Rodenbach...
    Selecting the right glass for Rodenbach is easy since I have a real Rodenbach glass. The glass is shaped like classic cognac glass, but perhaps a little larger. I think any good cognac glass (like the Riedel Sommelier Cognac VSOP) would present this beer beautifully, though a brandy snifter would be an acceptable second choice.

Appearance:
    This is a stunningly beautiful glass of beer with a color of deep garnet red with a somewhat brown tinge to it. The beer is brilliantly clear and pours with a thick, rocky, tawny colored head that leaves a lovely pattern of lace down the sides of the glass as I slowly sip my way through it.

Aroma:
    Hugely complex with a somewhat acidic sourness right up front and some fruity esters that don't really cry out "cherry", but rather that come across with some of the deeper, darker aromas of black plums.

Flavor:
    Sourness is by far the dominant flavor in this beer, although it's got some underlying sweetness to help mellow and mute it, and there is a very pleasant rounded character to the beer, much like a well-aged wine. The oak is unmistakable and it brings with it a somewhat earthy, spicy character to it with a bit of a vanilla tinge.

Verdict:
    Rodenbach Grand Cru is one of those beers that does not coddle and pamper the novice beer drinkers. It is extremely aggressive and bold and rich in flavor, complexity, and brewing tradition.

Rodenbach is, without question, one of the finest beers the world has to offer. In my opinion, nobody can say they truly know Belgian beer if they aren't on good terms with Rodenbach -- and the Grand Cru at that, not just the lighter, gentler standard brew.

This is a five-star beer all the way. A true world classic. Buy it, drink it, love it.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Rodenbach_Grand_Cru/content_80298086020

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit