The Evolution Revolution (research paper for school)

by looseend 26 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    looseend wrote:I was wondering if anyone else read this article in NEWSWEEK? I am doing a reasearch paper for school on evolution. I was wondering if i could get some help. What are some serious opposing views on the evolution theory? Also, what would keep anyone from believing in it? Last, How can the scientific evidence supporting it be viewed?

First off, why should we help you with your homework? j/k

I would argue that there aren't really serious opposing views on evolution; at least not within the legitimate scientific community. If you're looking for most plausible advocates of Intelligent Design, however, you'll want to look at Michael Behe and the Discovery Institute.

What would keep anyone from believing it? There was a study recently that found that most people are deeply ignorant about evolution, even people who believe in it. What that tells me is that for most people, choosing whether or not to believe in evolution has little to do with the actual science. It's more a matter of how evolution fits into their overall world view. People who are secular or who respect the scientific establishment simply accept it as a matter of course; people who are traditionally religious or who distrust the scientfic establishment reject it as a matter of course. In neither case do most people actually know and understand the evidence. (I don't have a link to the study on hand, but I'm sure you can find it with a little searching.)

And if you're looking for scientific evidence for evolution, my best suggestions would be:
    Talk.Origins archive: http://www.talkorigins.org/
    Understanding Evolution: http://evolution.berkeley.edu/

• looseend
    looseend

I am reinstating this thread. I started it a while ago. I just have not been on here for a while.

• looseend
    looseend

Evolution in Schools: What ’ s with all the Monkey Business?

Evolution has been a controversial subject since it was first delivered by Charles Darwin in his book, The Origin of Species. The question at hand is, why has it been so controversial, and why is there such a debate? Evolution to some speaks for itself; the answer depends on who is listening and what they hear. The science is based on research and research alone. That may be an arbitrary statement, but some may say a lot of the arguments against the science of evolution are arbitrary as well. Like many things it comes down to what you want to believe and who the public wants to listen to. The fact is evolution is a science of facts not just a made up theory. The underlying question is, should evolution be taught in schools?

What is evolution and where did it come from? Evolution is a process that affects all species from lizards to humans. The fact is that all creatures are tied together genetically. The proposed theory suggests that all creatures including humans all share a common ancestor and that over time certain adaptations expanded the family tree all the way to humans. Charles Darwin was the first to officially deliver the idea of evolution in 1859 with his book, The Origin of Species. His studies and career didn ’ t originally start with evolution and science. Originally, Darwin was following in his father ’ s footsteps by becoming a physician. He decided to change career paths and become an Anglican clergyman. It wasn ’ t until he was invited to sail on a British warship that he spent five years sailing the world. Darwin studied geological journals written by Charles Lyell, which lead him to explain origins naturally instead of supernaturally. It ultimately led to his study of the Galapagos Islands, where he came to the conclusion that the species there were unique to the Islands only. (Ruse, 2006) Darwin had questions. Why there is different species on the islands than found on the main land? Why are there different variations of the same animal? These questions along with Darwin ’ s theory sparked debates that have continued until today. Darwin was agnostic, not an atheist, so why do religious groups have such a hard time with evolution being taught. Even though evolution has far surpassed the days of Darwin, Darwin himself still is the poster boy for this particular science. As mentioned by Michael Ennis, " While it would be political suicide in today's Texas to fling early-twentieth-century prejudices at African Americans, Hispanics, or women, this particular dead white male can still be bashed as blithely as he was eighty years ago " (Ennis, 2005, p. 64). Is there and how can a prejudice be exercised against science? Maybe it is nothing more than a social battle between science and religion or maybe it is a fear of change. Like all other social battles, the one on evolution is like any other social challenge. Racial groups have had to fight within the court systems, eventually they prevailed. Homosexual groups have also had to fight and they have prevailed. Racism along with the social prejudice, along with the fear of excepting evolution may be one in the same. At one point there was a debate about segregation in schools, now it is and has been evolution. Is it possible that this debate on evolution will pass, along with racism and social bitterness in schools?

Debates on evolution range from scientific to religious. The fact is that evolution scares people, mainly religious creationists and Intelligent Design (ID) groups. The debate on whether or not schools should teach evolution seems never ending. Creationist and ID groups fight tooth and nail to keep a basic scientific principle from being taught to children. Why all the controversy? Some believe that evolution is killing religion, because it challenges the biblical timeline of Genesis. In an article by Eugenie Scott called Monkey Business he states,

From the beginning of the American antievolution movement, the driving force has been the same; a struggle for souls. Students who learn evolution, the creationists reason, will come to doubt the existence of God. Without the moral rudder that religion provides, they will become bad people doing bad things. Evolution is thus evil and the cause of evil (Scott, 1996, p. 21a).

Is this really the case? In a poll taken by Newsweek on MSNBC.com, 55% of the people who participated believe that evolution can coexist with religion, and 39% answered no. If so many people believe that evolution can exist with religion then why is there so much resistance? Also, if the science world so widely accepts evolution as fact, with little resistance, then why can ’ t the rest of the population? Maybe it is because people are scared of what they don ’ t know.

The truth is that very few people know what evolution is really about. The basic perception is that if one was to believe in evolution that meant humans originated from apes. Ignorance to the subject of evolution is immense. For example, most people don ’ t know the difference between Homo sapiens, Homo habilis, or Australopithecus aethiopicus, they are primitive human skeletons. Maybe most people don ’ t care about the evolution of humans anyway. The fact is that the science and techniques have changed dramatically since the days of Darwin. The study of evolution has taken great leaps in its understanding of the way everything works. Along with the great leaps the scientific community has made, social and even political challenges for society as a whole have risen, whether or not the public is largely aware.

The thought that human ancestry could have only been held to a timeline of a few thousand years is a mainly due to religious belief. One possible example of human development is found in the prehistoric remains, which usually challenges religious dogma. Researchers believe that humans developed over millions of years and with the development of the brain the human race developed. This information is more than just guessed at. According to archaeologyinfo.com (2006), Australopithecus aethiopicus can be dated back to almost 3 million years ago and has a cranial size of 410c.c. Homo habilis can be dated back 2 million years ago and has a cranial size of around 520c.c. and Homo erectus can be dated back around 1.5 million years ago and has a cranial size of 850c.c. Science never stops changing and improves almost faster then some can keep up. For example, a gene called HAR1 (human accelerated region) was discovered last summer. The gene (HAR1) is present in all animals, including humans; by a technique called " Molecular clock " scientists can trace changes in DNA like clockwork. By winding the clock back scientists can determine when major changes occurred. HAR1 is described as playing a huge part in the development of the brain from the seventh to ninth week of gestation. The Molecular clock can determine when our genetic split from apes and even chickens occurred (Begley, 2007). With science and evolution working hand in hand how can it be argued that evolution doesn ’ t have any weight in the educational world? Another example is the development of humans. Ancient skeletons of prehistoric man have been found and examined for years. Through radio carbon dating and argon dating these fossils can be traced by thousands and even millions of years. The estimated date of most ancient skeletons can be dated on a family tree, which coincides with brain growth. Thanks to paleoneurology, molds can be made from old skulls, making an artificial copy of the brain, which allows these modified neurologists to determine some of the capabilities of ancient humans. Also, the way that the spinal cord reaches the brain can indicate whether or not prehistoric skeletons were creatures that stood upright or used there hands with walking, such as present primates. Also, pelvic structure can determine whether or not these old skeletons were bipedal, and to what extent. With ancient creatures having the ability of walking upright and having human characteristics, the scientific community as always was intrigued to investigate. These are just a few examples in the scientific world. With the development of technology and growing understanding of science the evidence is mounting up.

If there is enough evidence to prove that the study of evolution (or more appropriately paleontology, archeology, biology, anthropology, paleoneurology, chemistry, and so forth) is much more extensive then just apes and humans, why should evolution be kept out of schools? Some say yes. Because there are still scientists that truly believe that evolution, which is accepted by most of the scientific world, still is not a fact and just a theory, which somehow is not convincing enough to be accepted. The groups that oppose evolution being taught are they are mostly creationists or ID groups. ID groups and creationists, whether scientists or not, that actively oppose evolution in schools tend to share the same view and come from religious backgrounds. For example, the President of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Albert Mohler stated,

Personally, I am a young-Earth creationist. I believe the Bible is adequately clear about how God created the world, and that its most natural reading points to a six-day creation that included not just the animal and plant species but the earth itself. But there have always been Evangelicals who asserted that it might have taken longer. What they should not be asserting is the idea of God's having set the rules for evolution and then stepped back. And even less so, the model held by much of the scientific academy: of evolution as the result of a random process of mutation and selection. (Van Biema, 2005, p. 34)

It ’ s no wonder why someone might be opposed to evolution with a view such as this. But even still does that mean that evolution shouldn ’ t be taught in schools?

Is it legal to ban evolution from schools at all? The court cases are piling up. According to Scott, the earliest court cases stared in 1925 with the conviction of John T. Scopes for teaching evolution. Evolution was kept out of textbooks for over thirty years. It wasn ’ t until after 1957 that evolution started to be printed in biological books. In 1968 in Eppson v. Arkansas the Supreme Court made it illegal for any state to ban evolution from being taught. The reasoning by Justice Abe Fortas was based on the First Amendment to the Constitution: " Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. " (Scott, 1996, P. 21b)

Today opposition to evolution in schools is still rampant. Creationists and ID groups still try over and over again to keep evolution out of the school systems. Despite the court cases and recent victories for the science of evolution, some still are persistent in arguing the case that evolution is nothing more than a theory. Despite any religious repercussions, should the constitution be ignored? If the Constitution of the United States can be ignored then maybe there is a problem with the court systems. The debate may ultimately take time and further advancement of scientific technology before it is over. Overall, the final questions remain. Should evolution (science) be taught in school? And, is evolution just a theory or a science of facts and discoveries?

References

Ruse, Michael (2006). Darwinism and Its Discontents. New York: Cambridge University

Press.

Ennis, Michael. (April 2005). Dissing Darwin: as Texas grapples with the future of

biotech, our long-standing hostility toward one of modern science's founding fathers is about to cost us plenty.(Charles Darwin). In Texas Monthly, 33, p64(3). Retrieved April 09, 2007, from Academic OneFile via Thomson Gale:
    http://find.galegroup.com/ips/infomark.do?&contentSet=IAC-

Scott, Eugenie C. (Jan-Feb 1996). Monkey business.(Cover Story). In The

Sciences

, 36, p20(6). Retrieved April 09, 2007, from Academic OneFile via Thomson Gale:
    http://find.galegroup.com/ips/infomark.do?&contentSet=IAC-

Archaeologyinfo.com. (1999-2006). Human Ancestry: Hominidae: Species overview.

Retrieved March 14, 2007, from http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/evolution.htm

Begley, Sharon. (2007, March 19). Beyond Stones & Bones. Newsweek, 53-58

• looseend
    looseend

I know it was a while ago, but this was the paper I finally submitted. Like I said I just haven't been on here for a while.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hey Terry. Awesome post. Let me point out the following.

Yet, the greatest rabbi of the ages, Mamonides, was there first! Where the scriptures and science clash you must re-interpret scripture as METAPHOR, Mamonides said!

He was beat by quite a tidy few centuries by St. Augustine of Hippo (5th century as opposed to 12th)! Here is a quote from The Literal Meaning of Genesis (De Genesi ad litteram libri duodecim).

Usually, even a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other elements of this world, about the motion and orbit of the stars and even their size and relative positions, about the predictable eclipses of the sun and moon, the cycles of the years and the seasons, about the kinds of animals, shrubs, stones, and so forth, and this knowledge he hold to as being certain from reason and experience. Now, it is a disgraceful and dangerous thing for an infidel to hear a Christian, presumably giving the meaning of Holy Scripture, talking nonsense on these topics; and we should take all means to prevent such an embarrassing situation, in which people show up vast ignorance in a Christian and laugh it to scorn. The shame is not so much that an ignorant individual is derided, but that people outside the household of faith think our sacred writers held such opinions, and, to the great loss of those for whose salvation we toil, the writers of our Scripture are criticized and rejected as unlearned men. If they find a Christian mistaken in a field which they themselves know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions about our books, how are they going to believe those books in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think their pages are full of falsehoods and on facts which they themselves have learnt from experience and the light of reason? Reckless and incompetent expounders of Holy Scripture bring untold trouble and sorrow on their wiser brethren when they are caught in one of their mischievous false opinions and are taken to task by those who are not bound by the authority of our sacred books. For then, to defend their utterly foolish and obviously untrue statements, they will try to call upon Holy Scripture for proof and even recite from memory many passages which they think support their position, although they understand neither what they say nor the things about which they make assertion. [1 Timothy 1.7]

I recommend his Confessions (world's first autobiography) and City of God (among other things, it lays the foundation for the seperation of Church and State).

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

If you wish to understand both sides of the arguments for and against evolution, natural selection, survival of the fittest, intelligent design, etc, I'd recommend checking this site periodically:

http://www.evolutionnews.org/

http://www.discovery.org/csc/

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/archive/

http://www.godandscience.org/evolution/

You can google for more.

To get you started on just one reason why many scientists take issue with the theory of evolution, you might wish to read this for beginners:

http://www.weloennig.de/NaturalSelection.html

Or take a look at this video if you're not into reading (or can't comprehend what you read):

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5521410965822202656

Or if you like a hard copy to read, I'd suggest Behe' Darwin's Black Box: The Biochemical Challenge to Evolution

BA- Enjoy!

• looseend
    looseend

BA, I watched the entire video. I can see how someone could believe that information. I personally think it is a shame that videos like this are out there. Like many others like it, the video points out things that are wrong with science without explaining how they can still come to the theories they do. This video will do wonders for people who are interested in science and still want to believe in creation, the only problem is it will keep them ignorant to the actual scientific methodology used today.

The other problem is making statements about the flood and expecting it to be considered in science is impossible. First there is not any evidence of a flood and it has been looked for, you can’t say… "Suppose the flood happened how would this change things." Not to mention geological strata is always considered when dating fossils.

For a very rudimentary example, the Grand Canyon, how long do you think that took to be carved out? If you say god did it I assume it could have been done instantly, but if you think water did it, which it more than likely did, it would have taken a very long time. If we went by the biblical timeline, each decade the canyon would get drastically deeper.

When you do research and read about the scientists that are doing it. More often than not, they have formal religious training or a very Christian themselves and are trying to find ways to disprove science, without actually proving there theories. We were always told if you see something in front of you someone must have made it, usually we can still figure out how it was made as well. These religious scientists to prove there side, not just point out some already realized issues in the majority of the scientific world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit