Some outrageous counsel I received once ...

by Frequent_Fader_Miles 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think most of us can be recall some crazy 'counsel' , looking back . I recall one otherwise respected C/O upsetting everyone by telling them not to make "idols" out of their pets by pampering them.

It is important to differentiate though, between real counsel from the platform or the elders , and the opinion of some jumped-up person (usually a sister , and thats not to be sexist!)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

The problem with "counsel" from all the busybodies in this religion is that there is no boundary with them. Some of them felt they could just get "in your face" about anything they didn't like about you or your life or whatever. I wonder if this was mostly just to women and children?? It was really subjective and got to be ridiculous.

Because I am an adult who always worked and never asked them for anything, they are not entitled to give a critique about me or my life.

LHG

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I got counseled by an old pioneer because I wore a dress with the split too high up. (it was a long dress with a split)

I told the lady, "Well, I didn't have time to drive home and change so I dropped by my mom's house and borrowed one of her dresses to wear -- so why don't you tell her that the dress's split is too high." ... HAHAHAHA!!

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

My personal favorite in the outrageous counsel category goes to....(drumroll please)...the elders who did a shepherding call on me & the X at our request. We explained the marital issues and no bible was cracked open...rather we were told we needed to go on a long weekend without the boys. Hahahah.

Yeah, that saved our marriage.

• nelly1
    nelly1

i had some too in my time, once I was called in for having this on my answerphone " sorry I cant come to the phone right now as I am down in the dungeon being tortured for my good looks" some old fuddy duddy sister in the cong called the elders and I got in trouble.

another time it was because I went shopping with my bible student, bad association apparently as she wasnt a witness(YET) suffice to say after that she never became one thank god.

another time got told off because I was in a jw chat room on the net.

then I got counselled because my daughter then 3 went to the loo too many times in a meeting, oh and I was acused of prompting my son to answer at meetings, when all i was doing was helping him pronounce a word in the watchtower or some publication, he was about 7 at the time. during that it was 2 elderly brothers that called me into the hall for a meeting and tore strips off me, this is all during the time that me and my kids were going through high court trials for my husband raping my kids, according to the elders it was all in my mind and I put it into my kids minds,(BUNCH OF BLOODY MORONS) we can see that carried through in the cover ups of abuse in the organisation cant we?

god I am so glad I am not in that organisation anymore, they are so unchristlike its not even funny

• moshe
    moshe

It's not just JW's that have these phobias! Our Schwans ice cream driver said two years ago they caught a lot of bad flack over their Halloween decorated 1gallon plastic ice cream containers. They did it so kids could use them to Trick or Treat. Some people refused to accept those containers and bought the plain 1/2 gallon size instead. This year they did not offer the Halloween decorated containers.

• ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

To provide a setting for this little story, I have to go back several years. My first wife's family, of whom she was the youngest were coming to our home for a family get together. With one exception, a sister, all of her family are active JWs. The exception is an older sister, more like a mother to my now ex-wife than a sister is Catholic. (she married out of the truth as the saying goes) I've always been one to pick things up, and in this case I had a number of telegraph/telephone insulators from years of hiking and hunting. I'd found an old arm from a telegraph line along the railroad that is near our home, so I put it up on a post, and then set the insulators on their respective pegs, and trained a Jacob's Coat, climbing rose around the post. Most thought it quite pretty, but then, those who were JWs thought I had erected a cross. So, get this. I had to take saw and cut the top of the "telegraph post" off flush with the top of the cross arm upon which sat the glass insulators so it wouldn't look like a cross! One has to wonder about whether in their travels when a Jehovah's Witness travels along a highway with a railroad running alongside if they have to avert their eyes because they don't believe in the cross.

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

The next time an apologist on this board accuses me of embellishing personal experiences, I will send them to this thread.

This is crazy stuff folks!

• loosie
    loosie

So I guess you can't have 12 oz cans of coke in december with Jolly ol Santa on them.

Loosie ( of the addicted to coca cola class)

• Scully
    Scully
    all the employees wear red shirts.

Nothing festive about that... especially if you happen to be on the Starfleet "away team".

As a teen, and being somewhat fashion conscious, I once had an older Sister™ give me Counsel™ for reading Glamour magazine because I was looking at the hairstyles in that issue. And then she quoted the scripture about prettiness in Worldly™ women being like a pig with a gold ring in its snout. Biatch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit