Spinal steroid injections.

by BrentR 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Yep-- I had several pre-surgery. Worked like a charm initially, gradually fading effect/ worn off within two months...had to ration out the rest over the following year with lesser improvement and faster decline each time, but STILL---IMPROVEMENT!!! I was THRILLED with the difference, for as long as it lasted.

Surgery for me following the pain management injections was invevitable, though, due to long term damage from a spine surgery I had as an adolescent. I was just trying to hold off for as long as I could. Probably should have submitted to the second surgery years sooner.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Woza wrote::::injections of a salt/glucose into the cartilage of the spinal joints which irritates the cartilage to grow and repair itself.:::

AKA "proliferant" or "prolotherapy." Works on the tendons and ligaments to encourage strengthening and regrowth of new ligament tissue. For some people this is an incredible therapy that allows them to regain all sorts of pain-free mobility. Unfortunately, since it has experienced a resurgence in the U.S. there are docs who offer this as a one-time therapy. For it really to be effective, it is usually done in series over a relatively short time.

Glad things are working.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

Yes that's right it's called Prolotherapy and a course of closely timed injections must be done to benefit ,it's been 5 years since my last series and it's only now that I can start to fell a bit uncomfortable from time to time.

I've always done daily stretching exercises and strength exercises to keep in tone . This ,like other treatments is not a cure but a pain relief strategy , but the pain is always there but with strategies such as these it can help to manage pain and strengthen surrounding areas to support the damaged area. Even when driving I do pelvic tilts almost unconscienctiously so I can enjoy a degree of health fitness.

one thing I did not mention before was that with lower back damage it can spasm the muscles so much that I developed tumors (non cancerous) in the pain area the size of half boiled eggs. A sports therapist used to massage me and burst them with his thumbs, I used to go home a wreck , but since I had the prolotherapy none have come back.

Always keep up exercise and never sit too long ,that has helped too, I hope this helps someone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit