Law...written on their hearts

by Pahpa 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Paul, in his discussion about God's judgment, contrasts those who were under law (Jews) but failed to live up to it with those who were not under it (Gentiles) but lived by its principles. "(Indeed, when Gentiles who do not have the law, do by nature things required by law, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bear witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even fending them.) This will take place on the day when God will judge men's secrets thorugh Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares."

If this principle applied to the "law" can it also be understood to apply to the millions of humans who have never had an opportunity to hear the gospel of Christ ? What are your thoughts?

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

I've always applied this scripture by Paul talking about our individual consciences. When the Gentiles were doing the things of the Law, yet they had no knowledge of the Law, Paul was showing how our Creator has given all of us an inherent ability to know right from wrong. For instance, if you were to travel to the most remote parts of the developing world, among indigenous tribes, and lets say that one of them kills another person in their tribe, they automatically know that what they did was wrong.

A good scriptural example that predates the Law covenant would be that of Joseph in the house of Potipher. When Potipher's wife wanted to sleep with Joseph, he recognized that it would be a sin against God.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Deaconbleuz

Note that Paul ties in people being "declared righteous" with the final judgment by inserting this parenthetical example of the Jews, Gentiles and the law. (Romans 2:12-16) (Most translations contain the parenthesis on verses 14 and 15) Would not this imply that a similar principle would apply in declaring people righteous in the final judgment?

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

Since we are declared righteous by God's grace, and not by works in conjuction with the Law, I would say no.

• abbagail
    abbagail

[...]
    If this principle applied to the "law" can it also be understood to apply to the millions of humans who have never had an opportunity to hear the gospel of Christ ? What are your thoughts?
    [...]

At first I was thinking, No, it wouldn't be fair of the Lord to judge those who have never had opportunity to hear his Gospel. But then I went to read all of Romans chapter 2, and in the middle parts it seems to say that those, even without law, but who have law unto themselves, are able to either condemn or excuse THEMSELVES according to their OWN conscience. In other words, as God has planted in each person a "measure of faith," it seems he also has planted in each person a "measure of conscience," so to speak. (I'm basically agreeing with what deaconbluez said).

Then I went to see what my favorite Bible teacher has to say about it, Les Feldick, a country-bumpkin rancher, but excellent teacher, from Oklahoma. He covers Romans 1, 2, 3, on this page: http://www.lesfeldick.org/lesbk20.html . Scroll down a little ways, as he finishes up Acts at the top. Then he starts in on Romans:

INTRODUCING ROMANS CHAPTER 1:1-15
    LESSON ONE * PART II
    LESSON ONE * PART III
    LESSON ONE * PART IV

MANIFOLD RESULTS OF SALVATION: ROMANS 1:16
    LESSON TWO * PART I
    LESSON TWO * PART II
    LESSON TWO * PART III
    LESSON TWO * PART IV

------------

Then finally he gets near to Romans 2, and this is where I began reading:
    http://www.lesfeldick.org/lesbk20.html

GOD'S WRATH - IMMORAL MAN - ROMANS 1:17-32
    GOD PROVES HIS CASE - MORAL MAN - ROMANS 2
    THE VERDICT IS GUILTY - RELIGIOUS MAN - ROM. 3:1-23
    LESSON THREE * PART I
    LESSON THREE * PART II
    LESSON THREE * PART III
    LESSON THREE * PART IV

The verses in Romans 2 re: conscience of those without law, well, Les basically says the same as we already stated.

However, those verses in Romans 1 were also interesting in that it would appear that God has also already planted in every person the ability to be able to recognize his existence, also; and therefore, an ability to believe or not believe in God, even w/o hearing the exact Gospel (if for whatever reason that opportunity never arises, but I'm thinking the Lord will make sure everyone hears, at least those whose hearts He can already tell would be receptive, etc.).

So, if I am understanding it correctly, then God may have to "judge" people on that basis (their inherent ability to recognize His existence, and their ability to know right from wrong in their own conscience), even those who never had opportunity to hear the Gospel... ???? I don't know, I'm no expert.

Check out the link, maybe it will help (or maybe not). Personally, I love Les Feldick. If he's on a TV-channel or radio in your area, check him out. It's better on TV than reading it. It's a verse-by-verse through the entire Bible study program: http://www.lesfeldick.org/les-tv.html . Always fascinating! and he definitely does NOT RUSH through it. It took about 14 years to get through the entire Bible one time around... one week at a time, but now my local channel airs the older shows M-F, a weekly feast!

----------------

Speaking of TV, I think it, and the internet, are some of the last great bastions of immensely-widespread evangelizing tools, so millions and millions ARE hearing the Gospel via TV, internet, etc., even in countries you would never imagine, due to satellite reception (Arab nations, China, etc.) If it took waiting for the minority-of-JWs to reach every single door, it would never get done. But TV gets into every home, every hut, every small town square in every remote village, in one little shop or another where people gather around, etc. It's happening, and it's quite thrilling actually. I don't think the Lord will have too many sheep left w/o a witness who don't hear his Gospel.

/ag

• abbagail
    abbagail

[...]
    [...]

At first I was thinking, No, it wouldn't be fair of the Lord to judge those who have never had opportunity to hear his Gospel. But then I went to read all of Romans chapter 2, and in the middle parts it seems to say that those, even without law, but who have law unto themselves, are able to either condemn or excuse THEMSELVES according to their OWN conscience. In other words, as God has planted in each person a "measure of faith," it seems he also has planted in each person a "measure of conscience," so to speak. (I'm basically agreeing with what deaconbluez said).

Then I went to see what my favorite Bible teacher has to say about it, Les Feldick, a country-bumpkin rancher, but excellent teacher, from Oklahoma. He covers Romans 1, 2, 3, on this page: http://www.lesfeldick.org/lesbk20.html . Scroll down a little ways, as he finishes up Acts at the top. Then he starts in on Romans:

INTRODUCING ROMANS CHAPTER 1:1-15
    LESSON ONE * PART II
    LESSON ONE * PART III
    LESSON ONE * PART IV

MANIFOLD RESULTS OF SALVATION: ROMANS 1:16
    LESSON TWO * PART I
    LESSON TWO * PART II
    LESSON TWO * PART III
    LESSON TWO * PART IV

------------

Then finally he gets near to Romans 2, and this is where I began reading:
    http://www.lesfeldick.org/lesbk20.html

GOD'S WRATH - IMMORAL MAN - ROMANS 1:17-32
    GOD PROVES HIS CASE - MORAL MAN - ROMANS 2
    THE VERDICT IS GUILTY - RELIGIOUS MAN - ROM. 3:1-23
    LESSON THREE * PART I
    LESSON THREE * PART II
    LESSON THREE * PART III
    LESSON THREE * PART IV

The verses in Romans 2 re: conscience of those without law, well, Les basically says the same as we already stated.

However, those verses in Romans 1 were also interesting in that it would appear that God has also already planted in every person the ability to be able to recognize his existence, also; and therefore, an ability to believe or not believe in God, even w/o hearing the exact Gospel (if for whatever reason that opportunity never arises, but I'm thinking the Lord will make sure everyone hears, at least those whose hearts He can already tell would be receptive, etc.).

So, if I am understanding it correctly, then God may have to "judge" people on that basis (their inherent ability to recognize His existence, and their ability to know right from wrong in their own conscience), even those who never had opportunity to hear the Gospel... ???? I don't know, I'm no expert.

Check out the link, maybe it will help (or maybe not). Personally, I love Les Feldick. If he's on a TV-channel or radio in your area, check him out. It's better on TV than reading it. It's a verse-by-verse through the entire Bible study program: http://www.lesfeldick.org/les-tv.html . Always fascinating! and he definitely does NOT RUSH through it. It took about 14 years to get through the entire Bible one time around... one week at a time, but now my local channel airs the older shows M-F, a weekly feast!

----------------

Speaking of TV, I think it, and the internet, are some of the last great bastions of immensely-widespread evangelizing tools, so millions and millions ARE hearing the Gospel via TV, internet, etc., even in countries you would never imagine, due to satellite reception (Arab nations, China, etc.) If it took waiting for the minority-of-JWs to reach every single door, it would never get done. But TV gets into every home, every hut, every small town square in every remote village, in one little shop or another where people gather around, etc. It's happening, and it's quite thrilling actually. I don't think the Lord will have too many sheep left w/o a witness who don't hear his Gospel.

/ag

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Pahpa,

Of course, that is the very basis upon which the salvation of such Nations will be based. They will have plenty of time to wash their robes and make them white in the Kingdom of God after they are raised to immortal human life. Our Lord explained this in more detail in Matthew chapter 25 when He described their selection and qualification as sheep. What they were as human beings during their lifetimes will determine their status when He returns to resurrect and Judge the world.

Joseph

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Pahpa

This says it more clearly!

Romans 1:20

For the unseen things of Him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being realized by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, for them to be without excuse.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Thanks to everyone for the input. It's always refreshing to have various points of views on these subjects. I appreciate the response

Pahpa

• bob1999
    bob1999

Genesis chapter 3 Man has known right from wrong ever since he eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Without that knowledge there would be no condemnation. Eating from the tree caused man to die because man no longer had the excuse of ignorance, thus condemning him. Even the man who has never heard of Jesus Christ stills knows right from wrong and can not claim ignorance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit