BEWARE THE CYBERPATHS!

by gumb 11 Replies latest forum tech-support

• gumb
    gumb

BEWARE THE CYBERPATHS!

In the years that I've taken part in various web discussion groups, from time to time I've come across people that I can only describe as "cyberpaths". "Trolls" is of course another term for them, although I don't believe all trolls are necessarily people with personality disorders. Here are some features I would look for in determining whether a poster is a cyberpath.

1. They don't seem to post very often unless they see an opening for personal attack.

2. They may side with the apparent majority view on a subject because it gives them more confidence (i.e gang mentality).

3. They don't appear to be interested in debating relevant points.

4. They ingage in inflammatory remarks - the cheapest shots being those which question other person's sanity/intellect.

5. They may target 'newbies' in the hope that these will be easy targets (i.e. bully mentality).

If you think you may be the target of a cyberpath, my advice to you is this.

1. Don't be drawn into an argument with the person. They are naturally pugnacious and will thrive on your interaction with them.

2. Do not refer to them by name. This denies them the personal acknowledgement they crave.

3. Ignore them. I know this may be hard, particularly if they taunt you for it, but you must not allow yourself to be manipulated.

4. If it really bothers you, raise the matter with one of the moderators.

I should add a note of caution here. It may be that the person is simply in a bad (or mischievous) mood, or something you posted hit a raw nerve, so do not be hasty in labelling someone a cyberpath. Eventually their true nature will be revealed. However, you have the right to refuse communication with anyone.

I welcome any other comments and advice - but not from any cyberpaths, thank you!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Troll flamebaiters--Your notions though many are not worth a penny When it gets down to facts, the apologist does not respond back, everything about the Jehovah's Witness troll is deception because you are a supremacist cult who feel no need to be truthful with unbelievers who are all,"gonna die at armageddon anyway".
    Trolls trashing the thread is much like a child having a temper tantrum,"....if i can't have the toys all to myself i will break them so no one can play with them."

• DJK
    DJK

Just out of curiosity, have you considered me to be a troll? I am an ex-JW and I find I may have a lack of interest in certain topics that I do not debate in.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'd love to comment but my own guidelines restrict me to replying only to posters of a 3 post per day average or higher!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"I'd love to comment but my own guidelines restrict me to replying only to posters of a 3 post per day average or higher!"

Why? Not being argumentative, just wonder - I don't post three times a day but I don't think I'm a troll, either, so I'm kind of curious as to how you came up with this guideline.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Just out of curiosity, have you considered me to be a troll? I am an ex-JW and I find I may have a lack of interest in certain topics that I do not debate in.

Not at all, DJK. (smoochies)

"I'd love to comment but my own guidelines restrict me to replying only to posters of a 3 post per day average or higher!"

Why? Not being argumentative, just wonder - I don't post three times a day but I don't think I'm a troll, either, so I'm kind of curious as to how you came up with this guideline.

LOL! Hortensia, Crumpie is pullin' our legs, chere.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

GumbDub..Good Advise Bud!..I don`t like seeing the newbies getting knocked around..Us old timers though???..We like to give trolls a good kick in the ass..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• gumb
    gumb

Thanks Outlaw. But please don't use the term 'dub' on me, 'cause I'm not one, even though I've never been DF'd or DA'd and I've lost count of how many years its been since I was last seen inside a kingdom hall. :O)

• ballistic
    ballistic

Always check the feedback and make sure the postage isn't like a thousand quid.

oopps wrong web site.

• greendawn
    greendawn

DJK, not being interested in topics and not discussing them has nothing whatsoever to do with being a troll. A troll is someone that is intentionally and actively seeking to hurt people's feelings by making very aggressive posts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit