Ex-Witness English tutor encounters a current Witness tutee...

by Rosie Angel 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rosie Angel
    Rosie Angel

I've been tutoring this nice ESL lady named Patrice for awhile now. I knew she was a Witness, since I saw her studying out of the Revelation book, so I kept my guard up around her. Somehow, though, I recognized an uncited passage from the NWT Ecclesiastes in a paper, and I mentioned that she really needed to cite passages from the Bible, just like any other book, so she used the odd Witness citation. I pulled out my MLA Handbook and showed her how to correctly cite Scripture in academic papers, and she asked me how I recognized it, and... I lied and told her that I learned about the Bible in church. When she mentioned that HER Bible was special and only someone who was a Witness would recognize it, I told her that my Mother was a Witness but I was the same religion as my Dad. I didn't want to mention that I was disassociated, because I am the only ESL tutor who has gotten anywhere with her. Now, she's preaching to me constantly. I try to change the subject, but when she claims that THE BIBLE SAYS that all religions except hers are "Babylon the Great" and it's obviously her religion's groundless interpretation of scripture, I want to pull out her Bible and criticize her reading comprehension skills with cold, hard, cruel logic, though it could get me fired. It just makes my blood boil! How would you recommend helping me handle this awkward situation? I really, really want to teach this woman how to write English well, but I don't take kindly to attempts to reprogram me.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

you could tell her "I really, really want to teach you how to write English well, but I don't want to discuss religion." Keep repeating it, word for word, with a nice smile on your face. Then get back to the tutoring. Nothing like direct communication, especially as subtleties don't work with JWs or with ESL students.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

''I appreciate that you feel the need to convert me because you believe that what you are doing is life saving,

but I do have the intelligence to investigate religions, don't you think that there might be GOOD REASONS as to why I chose the religion of my father and not my JW mother?

I really do not want to discuss religion with you. I am not here to be preached at, I would really like to get back to teaching you english.''

• anewme
    anewme

Yes, the direct approach is the best and the kindest.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Could you give her a short comprehension test for homework each week based on one of Blondie's dissections of the weekly watchtower article?

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Depending on what your goal is, then simply telling her that in conscience you cannot waste your employers time on personal business. After all, she's should be very aware of the JW reputation for being honest workers. If she wants to talk to you outside of work, simply be unavailable or busy. Just a thought...

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Quite honestly I'd say approach your boss and inform him of the situation. Let them decide if you should continue to tutor the witness any further. If she learns that you are an ex-witness (as the organization is a close knit web) she may complain to your boss about you and your job may be on the line.

Remember, you've rejected her God so you deserve the absolute worst in life. Religion and work never mix. Be careful with this one.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

"Look, I've already examined your religion thoroughly -- I do not want to discuss it any further. All I want to to do is help you learn English."

• Honesty
    Honesty

Tell your employer and let them make the decision.

If the JW ever figures out that you are a FORMER JW you can be be subjected to the WTBTS brand of Theocratic Warfareâ„¢ without her conscience being bothered. After all, you are a sinner or an apostate or both.

• truman
    truman

Hi Rosie,

I too am an English tutor who works with a lot of ESL students (as well as native English speakers) at a community college writing center. I also have encountered Witnesses among my tutees. I have never had one of them discover that I am an ex-JW, but once my tutee was a young girl who was in my former congregation. Of course she recognized me. Later, when I saw that she never scheduled with me again, I found out that she had told another tutor that she would not work with me because I no longer go to the KH.

Here is a suggestion for how to deal with the situation: Try thinking about how you would handle it if the student were trying to push her agenda on some other subject (sexual orientation, politics, etc.). What would you say to her to steer the session back to tutoring? As much as you can, detach yourself from an emotional response to the problem.

Good luck!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit