The Tobacco Bombshell SEQUEL

by Dogpatch 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Poztate
    Poztate

A small "mom and pop" corner store was owned by a witness couple in the town were I live. They were given the command to quit selling tobacco products or be DF'ed. Tobacco products are a major part of the revenue and any small store like that.

They refused the "request" of the elders and were DF'ed. It caused quite a commotion in our town and made the front page of the local papers. The local witnesses were all regaded as a bunch of screwballs.

The man taped the newspaper article to the front door of his house (glass window) and it stayed up for a few years. I am sure that detered a few dubs from knocking on his door...

• Mary
    Mary

What's so pathetic about stories like these is that, once again, there was no need for it to happen this way. When they decided that either smoking or growing tobacco wasn't "Christian", there was no reason why they couldn't give them 3 - 5 years to sell their farms, or switch to growing a different product to minimize their loss. But I guess it shouldn't be a surprise. Since when did the Governing Body ever take the R&F into consideration before implementing more burdens on them? Yet they've got stock in Phillip Morris?

Once again, hypocrisy at it's best.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

LOL

free2think it wasn't me, it is a fellow who wishes to remain anonymous. I, on the other hand, do not! :-))

Too busy printing and distributing stupid Watchtower books and magazines to run a tobacco farm.

Randy

Net Soup! http://www.exjws.net

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks for the two links. They will be posted in the Best of under Finances when I update the threads

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

my grandparents grew a modest amount of tobacco on their farm.. and had to stop or be disfellowshipped.

they went from having a comfortable life to total poverty. grandpa tried raising other things but nothing at that time sold for much.. ( 70s something to do with grain prices at the time..i forget the politics of it)

anyway. they both died loyal to the watchtower..but poor as dirt.they did get a nice watchtower eulogy.. maybe 90 seconds of their statistics read off then the watchtower informercial for 30 minutes.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

A very sad story. Even we can go before a judge and ask for extensions .......

Thank you for posting.

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit