What is the borg saying about the internet?

by Mrs Smith 16 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Your Mum must have read this Watchtower article

w06

1/15p.23par.13DoNotAllowPlacefortheDevil***

Because of listening to the Devil and not rejecting his lies, the first human pair apostatized. So, then, should we listen to apostates, read their literature, or examine their Web sites on the Internet? If we love God and the truth, we will not do so. We should not allow apostates into our homes or even greet them, for such actions would make us ‘sharers in their wicked works.’ (2 John 9-11) May we never succumb to the Devil’s wiles by abandoning the Christian "path of truth" to follow false teachers who seek to "introduce ruinous ideologies" and try to ‘exploit us with well-turned phrases.’—2 Peter 2:1-3, Byington.

Dubs that are not computer literate , and that is an awful lot of them, would imagine that Satan would leap out of the screen if they logged on here. They believe that a blood transfusion is a death senteance to Aids or Hepatitus too.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

At least some of the r&f are aware of ex-JW support groups. One night I was conducting the bookstudy and the paragraph subject was about apostates. One of the bookstudy members who was a closer friend to me than others piped up excitedly about "how there's support groups for ex-JWs, and they make it look so appealing." I nodded. It seemed to me that he had personal experience looking for that sort of information.

Now here's a crazy thought, which might not happen for any number of reasons, but is within the realm of possibility: they could do what the Scientologists do, and produce a CD with a web browser and secret net-nanny installed. According to the articles I read about the net-nanny, it seemed to be a small, clandestine program that you couldn't even remove from your PC (not without a certain expertise which would be far beyond the knowledge of most r&f).

• Mincan
    Mincan

I just left the end of January, and the internet is for sure being demonised. It's in articles in Awakes or Watchtowers every other month or so, especially the Youth People Ask articles and in regular Watchtower study articles.

I got the internet in Spring 2004 and ever since then my mother was real hard on me for using it. Especially if I used it for more than 10 minutes a night. When I left she blames everything on the internet, and rightly so! Thank "God" for it!

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

My reply: If the internet is so dangerous why does the society have at least 3 websites???

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    My reply: If the internet is so dangerous why does the society have at least 3 websites???

Hah, if they didn't have those 3, they'd be in even bigger trouble than they are right now! "So if a person searches for 'Jehovah's Witnesses,' how will he know what's true and what's not? Doesn't the Society have a website?" "Erm...no...sorry."

I just left the end of January, and the internet is for sure being demonised. It's in articles in Awakes or Watchtowers every other month or so, especially the Youth People Ask articles and in regular Watchtower study articles.

I got the internet in Spring 2004 and ever since then my mother was real hard on me for using it. Especially if I used it for more than 10 minutes a night. When I left she blames everything on the internet, and rightly so! Thank "God" for it!

10 minutes? 10 minutes online is nothing, you can't even read a few topics in less than 10 minutes. Folks, the free spread of information is the worst nightmare of any repressive organization or society. Scientologists are afraid of it, the Chinese took measures to limit information on Google, and I forget how North Korea deals with it, but I'm sure KJI keeps his folks in the dark. The fact that Jehovah's Witnesses also seek to discourage internet use is indicative of the fact that they too have something to fear from the free spread of information.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

If what they say really is the truth, then they should have nothing to fear from what anyone has to say. The fact that they're terrified of what people can find out on the web just proves they're just a bunch of power-hungry old bastards!

• choosing life
    choosing life

SirNose,

Please don't give them any ideas. I live with a jw and I'm sure it would be installed on my computer. I wouldn,t put it past them to do something and make it voluntary to cover their backside and all the good jws would follow right along. After all, they will give up their lives for the ever changing blood issue.

No good jw will look at any information about the watchtower that is taken off the internet, I couldn't even get one to go to the UN site and check the information about being the watchtower being a NGO. They thought I had it rigged somehow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit