First century disciples vs the Society

by Leander 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

I'm having a discussion with my wife about the Society's changes in doctrines and failed predictions. She basically is using the argument that the Society is fallible just like the the first century disciples. So this neatly excuses the Society for any erroneous teachings or failed prophecies.

How would you counter-argue that type of reasoning?

• Bridgette
    Bridgette

So, why couldn't they, in turn, apply that to Christendom? If this were the case (that no matter WHAT they teach, HOW they act, HOW many prophecies fail) wouldn't the Catholic Church still be "it"? Yes, the same Catholic church they love to hate.
    I'm no proponent of the Catholic Church just something that always plagued me as a witness, was how they railed against other religions, but never pulled the rafter out of their own eye.
    Peace,
    Bridgette

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hell Leander,

thanks for the question. Here is a

a possible answer:

° Incidentally , the subject was in TMS for the week starting on
    the 1st of October.

Reference to the reasoning book pages 136, 137.

The main JW's argument for defense has been that

the one quoted by your wife, and using as support scriptures

Luke 19:11 and Acts 1:6 to justify the fact that even the first

disciples has at times wrong expectations.

But in mho, here lies the KEY point:

- one thing is to have wrong expectations
    maybe sharing with some intimate friends,

but IT IS a DIFFERENT matter, to PREACH,

TO make it PUBLIC, TO TEACH worldwide

opinions, ideas, expectations which in the

end RESULT without BIBLICAL SUPPORT of if

you like, inspired by Jehovah.

The added gravity of the WTBS in the last

120 years is that they HAVE CLAIMED by MOUTH

and PRINT , that those " informations",

"viewpoint " , " teachings" , " opinions"

where from JEHOVAH and/or JESUS and/or

the apostles and/or SCRIPTURAL.

The truth is that many of those " things"

were nothing else that "EVERCHANGING DOCTRINES "!

I don't know if this will help you...but let me know.

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• Escargot
    Escargot

Man, read Ray Franz second book, In Search of Christion Freedom, it really lays it all out very well......

Also, have her read Luke 21:8 and explain that away.....

Also, the big problem is that if you don’t believe their mistakes, its disfellowshipping time, however we are asked to understand when they do make a mistake!

Erasmus (1520 AD): "If we want truth, every person ought to be free to speak what they think without fear."

• Leander
    Leander

Are there any other major christian religions who have made predictions about the end

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Did the disciples of Jesus have wrong expectations? Yes. Did Jesus correct them? Yes. When did Jesus correct them? Right away. Is Jesus the head of THIS "Christian" congregation? They would say yes. Then why didn't he correct their wrong expectations right away, before they got out of hand? Why did Jesus allow these wrong expectations to become PRONOUNCEMENTS and PROCLAMATIONS in his name? Why did he allow his own followers (the least of his brothers) to be stumbled by the failure of these proclamations to be fulfilled? And finally, isn't Jesus guilty of stumbling his own disciples if he did this?

How's that off the top of my head?

• Leander
    Leander

Wow that was excellent reasoning. Those questions are really thought provoking

• Leander
    Leander

Can anyone direct me to the scriptures were the disciples had the wrong understanding?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Leander,

See Luke 19:11 and Acts 1:6,7 for examples.

Luke 19:11

While they were listening to these things he spoke in addition an illustration, because he was near Jerusalem and they were imagining that the kingdom of God was going to display itself instantly.
    Acts 1:6,7
    When, now, they had assembled, they went asking him: "Lord, are you restoring the kingdom to Israel at this time?" He said to them, "It does not belong to YOU to get knowledge of the times or seasons which the Father has placed in his own jurisdiction."

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Escargot (alias snail...)

excellent answer:

"Also, the big problem is that if you don’t believe their mistakes, its disfellowshipping time, however we are asked to understand when they do make a mistake!"

And you are supposed to believe " the f&d slave class is

God's visible channel on this earth ...!"

Bluesapphire: very good questions but you know already

what kind of answer you'll get: .....! ....!

Nothing solid, nothing based on the BIBLE ONLY!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit