Why is the "Faithful and Discreet " parable literal when others are not?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

In the 10/1 1998 Watchtower study article titled,''Jehovah,a God Merciful and Gracious'' there is a footnote that reads:

Parables and other illustrations related in the Bible did not necessarily take place in actuality.Futhermore,since the purpose of these stories is to teach a moral lesson,there is no need to seek a symbolic meaning in every detail.

Matthew 24:45-47, in the New World Translation, reads "Who really is the faithful and discreet slave whom his Master appointed over his domestics, to give them their food at the proper time? Happy is that slave if his Master on arriving finds him doing so. Truly I say to you. He will appoint him over all his belongings."

In one breath they teach that the parables are not literal,but in the Matthew 24:45-47 parable, there are actual "faithful and discreet slaves'' on earth today. Why is this parable taken literal when others are not? How do they explain this one?

• Zico
    Zico

Because it's the only scripture that could give them a claim to authority.

The Society's approach to scriptural interpretation:

If something contradicts our teaching, it's figurative.
    If it supports it, it's literal.
    If it's a prophecy, it will somehow apply to us, or the time we're living in.

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

A poster named "AliveinChrist" on channelc.org discusses this very question in detail. (A Feb 24 post, I believe)

Skeptic1914

• Honesty
    Honesty

The "Faithful Discreet Slave" doctrine is designed to instill fear in the hearts of anyone accused of apostasy as they are asked the LOYALTY QUESTION by the three Pharisees.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Every detail in the parable can be traced to the OT story of Joseph and haggadah about him. The point of the parable is simple: "BE LIKE JOSEPH, AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED".

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Also, consider the fact that the Watchtower Society says that most of the Revelation given to John was symbolic, not literal, but, then, suddenly, when it comes to the 144,000, they claim it is definitely literal and CANNOT by symbolic!

Revelation 7:4-8 (NWT): And I heard the number of those who were sealed, a hundred and forty-four thousand, sealed out of every tribe of the sons of Israel: Out of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand sealed; out of the tribe of Reu´ben twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Ash´er twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Naph´ta·li twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Ma·nas´seh twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Sim´e·on twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Le´vi twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Is´sa·char twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Zeb´u·lun twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand; out of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand sealed.

The Watchtower Society teaches that the first statement of that passage about the 144,000 is absolutely LITERAL, but all of the other statements about the 144,000 being Jews who come only from the 12 tribes of Israel is SYMBOLIC.

Revelation 14:1-5 (NWT): And I saw, and, look! the Lamb standing upon the Mount Zion, and with him a hundred and forty-four thousand having his name and the name of his Father written on their foreheads. And I heard a sound out of heaven as the sound of many waters and as the sound of loud thunder; and the sound that I heard was as of singers who accompany themselves on the harp playing on their harps. And they are singing as if a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders; and no one was able to master that song but the hundred and forty-four thousand, who have been bought from the earth. These are the ones that did not defile themselves with women; in fact, they are virgins. These are the ones that keep following the Lamb no matter where he goes. These were bought from among mankind as firstfruits to God and to the Lamb, and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish.

Once again, in this passage, the Watchtower says the number 144,000 is LITERAL but all of the other statements such as being virgins and playing harps is SYMBOLIC.

Consider also that the Watchtower Society teaches (very confusingly) that the 24 Elders in Revelation are not literally 24 Elders, but are actually the 144,000. So, why is the number 144,000 absolutely LITERAL, but the number 24 is absolutely SYMBOLIC?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Undisfellowshipped

Those were great points!

As Zico said about the WTS :

If something contradicts our teaching, it's figurative.
    If it supports it, it's literal.
  • uninformed
    uninformed

(Revelation 7:9-10) 9 After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. 10 And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: "Salvation [we owe] to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb."

(Revelation 19:1-8) 19

After these things I heard what was as a loud voice of a great crowd in heaven. They said: "Praise Jah, YOU people! The salvation and the glory and the power belong to our God, 2 because his judgments are true and righteous. For he has executed judgment upon the great harlot who corrupted the earth with her fornication, and he has avenged the blood of his slaves at her hand." 3 And right away for the second time they said: "Praise Jah, YOU people! And the smoke from her goes on ascending forever and ever." 4 And the twenty-four elders and the four living creatures fell down and worshiped God seated upon the throne, and said: "Amen! Praise Jah, YOU people!" 5 Also, a voice issued forth from the throne and said: "Be praising our God, all YOU his slaves, who fear him, the small ones and the great." 6And I heard what was as a voice of a great crowd and as a sound of many waters and as a sound of heavy thunders. They said: "Praise Jah, YOU people, because Jehovah our God, the Almighty, has begun to rule as king. 7 Let us rejoice and be overjoyed, and let us give him the glory, because the marriage of the Lamb has arrived and his wife has prepared herself. 8 Yes, it has been granted to her to be arrayed in bright, clean, fine linen, for the fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the holy ones."

They need to explain how the great crowd is in heaven and on earth too.

Brant

• veradico
    veradico

I think the language of the QFR article revising the closing of heaven in 1935 opens the way for them to say that the FDS parable is not literal but rather applies, the degree depending on the authority, to all those in leadership positions in the official Oragnization. It might even open up the way for 144,000 to become figurative as well. None of this will change the way people are treated by the Organization, but it will make their doctrines less irrational.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

The Watchtower gives it more than just a parable status. It puts a prophetic twist to it and applies the fulfillment to itself. (Naturally!)

Most commentaries say that this is just admonition for Christians (or Christian leaders) to be faithful to the teachings of Christ. It was Charles Russell's wife who applied it to her husband...later suggesting he became an "evil servant." Rutherford, much to the displeasure of the majority of Bible Students, applied it to the "annointed" leaders in the organization.

It is interesting to read the parallel account in Luke 12:42-48 which gives a third alternative to the faithful and unfaithful servant. "But the one who does not know (his master's will) and does things deserving punishment WILL BE BEATEN WITH FEW BLOWS." I never had an elder who could explain what "class" this represented in the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit