Is The Watchtower Society—A Prison Sentence?

by The wanderer 22 Replies latest jw friends

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Any belief or group system that expects conformance to certain behaviours and has some kind of control and reward/punishment system could broadly be termed a 'prison sentence' depending on how you look at it.

The only ways that I see the organisation as a 'prison sentence' is the mind control aspect - the lack of independent thought and true Christian freedom, together with the fear of shunning for questioning or walking away. Those two aspects keep JW's in a kind of mental bondage (prison) to the Watchtower Society.

• Gill
    Gill

It's funny that you should mention prison, Wanderer!

I still see a counsellor, (though probably not for much longer now) since leaving the WTBTS and we often discuss the JWs (naturally!). She decided to go and see some Kingdom Halls and told me that her first impressions of them were that they lookedl like prisons.

I agree with many posters here, that the WT society is a prison of the mind and in many a case a life sentence.

But, like all prisons, it has its escapees, and the magical thing about a mental prison, is that if you REALLY WANT to escape, YOU CAN! You can melt those bars with your mind and you can walk free, smell the flowers and breathe the air!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Not Prison.

More like exile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit