Pan's Labyrinth

by Mystla 23 Replies latest social entertainment

• veradico
    veradico

I know what you mean! That creature was creepy. I would not be able to have an appetite with that thing at the head of the table, even if I were sent to bed without dinner. I’m still trying to figure out what exactly was going on in that scene. Why the shoes? Why the eyes in his hands?

I like your point about the theme of magic as well, but I’m afraid I don’t have anything additional to contribute.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm waiting for everything to hit DVD. I did get to see the movie "The Departed". It was excellent! The movie is intense from the very beginning. I was so caught up in it. I didn't know that it was going to be as long as it was. I had a headache after it was over. This movie is stressful!

I still have to watch all of the shows that was nominated for Academy Awards. I want to see Pan's Labyrinth, Babel, and All the Kings of Scotland especially.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Oops! Forgot one! "Little Miss Sunshine"!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

havent seen it yet but i want to...

i'm sorry this may not be PC but if you normally have to repeat everything that is said to your dad at the theatre, i think he should either stay home or frequent theatres which offer assistant listening devices (headphones or earphones) for him.

it is highly discourteous to others to talk during the movie for any reason, a few words here and there ok, but a running commentary..no way!

-Eduardo

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

Eduardo wrote:

i'm sorry this may not be PC but if you normally have to repeat everything that is said to your dad at the theatre, i think he should either stay home or frequent theatres which offer assistant listening devices (headphones or earphones) for him.

it is highly discourteous to others to talk during the movie for any reason, a few words here and there ok, but a running commentary..no way!

Was that really necessary? The poster doubtlessly realizes already this code of public conduct. Why not, then, assume the best of a fellow adult poster and presume that she either a) frequents sparsely attended matinee showings with her father so as to serve his needs without disturbing other patrons; b) chooses to sit in an area of the theatre where she and her father have no seat-neighbors; or c) attends showings that are scheduled for an entire similarly impaired audience -- where her "commentary" will not be a nuisance to other understanding patrons? Is that such a stretch for the imagination?

FURTHER TO THE FILM: I regret that I did not see this film on the big-screen, as planned. Instead, I watched it on DVD; the television set did not do justice to the much-acclaimed cinematography. Unfortunately, I will experience "Eragon" in the same manner! The films pass through the cinema much too quickly here!

-V

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

i wasn't making any assumptions about what M or her dad actually do.maybe they do do those things. my comment was just one in general regarding talking in movie theatres....

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh jeez! Okay I have watched every horror movie and violent movie going. I have just watched the first 17 minutes of this film and I'm not sure I can watch anymore after the most violent thing I have seen was just on. I guess the closest violence to that was the image in

American History X where Edward Norton does something terrible - which I wont say here in case any of you haven't seen it.

Okay am going back to the movie but I think I might have bad dreams now ....

*trembles*

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Wow - such a beautiful movie! Glad I didn't let the savagery at the beginning put me off.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

American History X where Edward Norton does something terrible - which I wont say here in case any of you haven't seen it.

Okay am going back to the movie but I think I might have bad dreams now ....

*trembles*

Yes both American History X and The scenes in Pan's Labyrinth hit me the same way. This is the stuff most of my dreams that are bad ARE made of. that real, I just never have seen it so huge before and out in the open. Geeze it was hard to watch. But other than that, the movie is exactly what most of the books and ideas of my childhood mind were made of.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I know what you mean sparkplug! I found it hard to sleep afterwards as I felt I had regressed into that childhood world of fairy tales where everything had the capacity to be menacing or magical and i kept hearing noises in my flat!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit