Patti Smith XJW inducted into Music Hall of Fame!

by anewme 13 Replies latest jw friends

• anewme
    anewme

This afternoon I heard on National Public Radio that poet/songwriter Patti Smith will be inducted into the Musical Hall of Fame later this week. An interview with Terri Gross from 1996 detailed her early life as a Jehovah's Witness. She spoke respectfully of the JWs and her memory of her mother and father and early family life, but spoke candidly that she did not like the teachings and restrictions and never felt she fit in. She added that she did not believe that one religion was the truth. She claims she left the religion very early in life.

Anyway, we got to hear some of her poetry and songs from as far back as the 60s. She was clearly way ahead of everybody and is considered a mother of punk rock and roll.

Anybody else know of her? (Sorry, at the time I was becoming a JW and so was out of the loop)

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Her father was an athiest and mother a devout JW.

Smith's mother was a Jehovah's Witness, and her father a non-believer. Herein, perhaps, lies the basic pattern of conflicting influences that prompt creative activity. And, for a child with a highly developed imagination, being brought up in more or less the middle of nowhere, a heightened awareness of God was bound to stir a powerful ingredient into the chemistry of her formative years. The distant horizons of the country suburb and its community would make for a world in which the local became universal, and the interior world of the child's thoughts and fantasies would achieve a vivid colouring that linked consciousness to conscience. And God, in whatever sense one might like to conceive of a higher power, has played and still plays a vital part -- arguably the most important part -- in Smith's life and work.

I think that I was really lucky in my parents to be offered those totally opposed poles. My mother taught me to pray when I was, like, two-and-a-half years old, and it expanded my world totally. It was the greatest gift she could ever have given me. It was the idea that no matter how bored you may be, you can still go to bed early and you can pray - which means that you can talk to the Ultimate Place all you want: tell your troubles, ask for stuff, and receive. And then I was raised a Jehovah's Witness. It's an extremely disciplined faith. They have their own philosophies and their own dogma, which I don't fully agree with, but that's the beauty of that particular religion. My father wasn't necessarily an atheist, but between him and my mother there was a lot of expansive territory, and so the idea of God was constantly being discussed in our household. And so it was a very stimulating household. And now my father's a Jehovah's Witness! He's nearly 80 years old, he explored nearly every arena, and he's wound up agreeing with my mother!
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Patty Smith is beautiful in a very unique way. It's odd, I saw an interview with her and the way she decribed her childhood seemed different from a JW upbringing. I had heard she was a JW from a sister who claimed to be in her congo. Andy really loves Patty Smith and then isn't impressed by women like Pamela Anderson. I guess that's one reason why I love him so much.

• anewme
    anewme

Wow you gals have heard of her. Isnt she unique????

I was very impressed by her voice quality! Very strong! Very deep yet elastic and able to hit high notes too! I really liked her artful interpretations of well known musical works. She has confidence and free spirit. I was very inspired and refreshed from hearing the interview and especially hearing her
    music. She is very open and ok with her early life and like I said she is very respectful of her parents.
    I liked her alot!

Anewme

• anewme
    anewme

FHN your Andy obviously likes unique women with character!!!!

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

She sings back-up on REM's song "E-Bow the Letter". She steals the scene on that one.

• anewme
    anewme

Yeah they mentioned REM. So she is still singing! What a character! I wonder how old she is?

• Death to the Pixies
    Death to the Pixies

Judging by her picture she is 96.

• magoo
    magoo

..............hey now, easy...............old is as old does...........she's a great performer...................salute!!!!

magoo

• Priest73
    Priest73

That brings back memories... Just looked her up on wikipedia.com. man I feel old.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit