Home and Garden Tips for Spring

by onlycurious 12 Replies latest jw friends

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

For those who are interested, I have a monthly newsletter I have published.

This month I gathered articles on "Tips for a Cozier and More Inviting Home" and "5 Quick Gardening Tips to Save You Money"

Feel free to forward this to a friend.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

its a very nice newsletter...........im impressed.

thanks for sharing

purps

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

That newsletter is really interesting and helpful, onlycurious! I'm putting it in my "favs."

I don't know whether you're interested in any input, but I have a few more gardening tips for you to add next time you publish gardening tips.

Miracle Grow (sp?) is 99% epsom salts (or some percentage close to that). Just pick up a carton of Epsom Salts at your local grocers or drugstore for a coupla bucks. (money saver)

When you plant trees or bushes or flowers, sprinkle Epsom Salts generously around the soil that covers the roots and let water trickle over the area so the Epsom salts will sink into the soil and be absorbed by the roots. Your trees and bushes will be prolific in a very short time.

After the last frost of winter is the time to prune rose bushes and similar flowering plants. Prune all the branches or twigs to within 18 inches of the root base, then coat the pruned tips with vaseline or lipstick to seal them and keep insects from harming them. And by using the Epsom Salts around the root base, you'll have a wonderful huge bush FULL of flowers or thick with leaves, as the case may be.

Use diatomaceous earth along with the soil around your bushes, trees and flowering or leafy plants. It's a great insecticide and will take care of a fire ant problem, too.

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) consist of the sedimentary deposits formed from the skeletal remains of a class of algae (Bacillariophyceae) that occurs in both salt and fresh water and in soil. These remains form diatomite, an almost pure silica that is ground into an abrasive dust. When the tiny razor-sharp particles come in contact with an insect, they cause many tiny abrasions, resulting in loss of body fluids. DE is the secondary ingredient in a variety of insecticides. DE being a natural product is harmless to mammals and birds and is digestible by earthworms.

My Father grew up on a farm.

Frannie

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Thanks Frannie for the tip. My market is primarily women so I thought this article might interest most as Spring is in the air! yeah!

I will keep your info and possibly post it in the next newsletter.

If you are interested you can always sign up to automatically receive the newsletter. I don't ask for #s and won't bug you. It's just my way of communicating with people that have expressed interest. It's a fun 'hobby'.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I could use some tips.......I kill stuff before I even get it in the ground!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

If you are interested you can always sign up to automatically receive the newsletter. I don't ask for #s and won't bug you. It's just my way of communicating with people that have expressed interest. It's a fun 'hobby'.

OC, can I sign up on the website at the link you posted?

Frannie

• BFD
    BFD

I cannot wait for spring to arrive. It's been so cold here in upstate NY. This weekend temps are supposed to get up into the 40's! Heatwave!

I planted so many bulbs around my property last year and I can't wait to see them come up. Thanks for the reminder that spring is just around the corner.

Is that really true about Epsom salt? Do you think that my rodedendruns (sp) would like a shot of that?

BFD

• acsot
    acsot

onlycurious, interesting newsletter!

Frannie, thanks for the tips!

• BrentR
    BrentR

Epson salts is magnesium which can be beneficial for vegetation but it does not contain potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen that all plants need. Peters and Miracle Grow contain Nitrogen, phosphate and potassium.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Is that really true about Epsom salt? Do you think that my rodedendruns (sp) would like a shot of that?

I'll let you decide, BFD. Here's a couple of examples of the end results.

1. When I was 12 yo, my Dad moved into a new house and when I was visiting him one weekend, I helped him plant a tree in the middle of his back yard, nearer to the back fence and equidistant from the sides of the yard. It was such a twig of a tree, I didn't recognize that it was a Chinese Tallow or China Berry tree, as we used to call 'em. When my Dad placed the earth back around the root sack, after he'd dug the hole and planted the tree, he then took a broomstick and poked holes all around the tree down through the soil at an angle towards the root sack. I asked him why he did that and he replied that he sprinkled Epsom salts down into those holes and then drizzled water on the epsom salts to cause it to be absorbed by the tree roots. 7 yrs later, on another visit to my father, I happened to glance into the backyard and was totally shocked to see a monstrous Chinese Tallow tree. It was the size of a great oak tree. The branches must have reached 20 to 30 feet up and the circumference reached from side fence to side fence (60 to 75 feet wide). The branches were so full of leaves and berries that some hung to the ground at the bottom, so the tree resembled (in shape) a weeping willow tree. The china berry trees in my Mom's backyard had been there all my life and were only 1/4 the size of my Dad's tree.

2. I rented a house one time that had a nice-sized front porch. There was also a scraggly "rose bush" on the side of the front porch that had a few really long wild shoots and 3 dried up roses, which color was unrecognizable. After the last frost of winter, I pruned the branches on that rose bush, sealed the tips of the branches and generously sprinkled epsom salts around the base of it and watered it gently. Then I forgot about it. Next time I took notice of that bush, it was approx. 4 feet high and approx. 3 to 4 feet in diameter and totally FULL of white roses.

Epson salts is magnesium which can be beneficial for vegetation but it does not contain potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen that all plants need. Peters and Miracle Grow contain Nitrogen, phosphate and potassium.

BrentR, I know you must be right, chere. But either my plants and my Dad's Chinese tallow tree can't read or they don't care about the rest of that stuff....or the soil they were in contained that shtuff already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit