Do you think Jesus gave every Christian a personal commission to preach?

by under_believer 21 Replies latest jw friends

• barry
    barry

Leolaia has the scripture and to make a point havent the JWs got it just as wrong as the various tongue speaking groups. MAny tongue speaking groups say every christian must speak in tongues to receive the holy spirit but the scripture says only some have that gift.

Barry

• M.J.
    M.J.

I was just reviewing the Epistles and found it striking that in all those letters to the churches there is no general instruction to go out preaching. No pointers on doorstep presentations. No nagging whatsoever on getting FS hours up. Absolutely no allusion to the congregation's "preaching work". All references to preaching are either in the first person, i.e., the author speaking of his own preaching work he has been commissioned to do, or at times more generally referring to the preaching work of the Apostles ("our" preaching to you), or in discussion of the gospel message received ("the gospel preached to us"). There was only ONE instance in those letters I could find where an actual instruction is given to preach...and that was from Paul, specifically directed to Timothy (2 Tim 4:2).

Given the overwhelming emphasis the WTS places on this in its own written material specifically intended for the congregations, its total absence from the Epistles is pretty conspicuous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit