Bobbleheads

by StillGroggy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

Anyone ever been in a meeting and notice the constant head-nodding in zombified agreement that witnesses do. It drives me crazy! Especially since it seems to increase and be accompanied by little "hmmms" whenever someone says something that is COMPLETE BULLSHIT.

The other day at a bookstudy the topic of apostates came up and the head zombie (conductor) asked "Why don't we need to hear the other side of the story?" Everyone stopped and "thought" for a little while. I bolted myself to my seat so as to avoid screaming at the top of my lungs. After a long pause someone answered "Because this is what Jehovah's telling us right HERE" and pointed to his revelation book.

The head zombie had a look of contentment on his face and the bobble-heads kept nodding and nodding...

I wonder If anyone notices I haven't nodded in a LONG while.

-SG

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

When my head was bobbing it was cause I was trying hard not to fall asleep!!....I do remember seeing that though....I wonder if that is some kind of mind-controling technique?

• Zico
    Zico

Hi Groggy, Haven't seen you round much lately! I know if I had absolute 'Truth' I would show my followers the critics' arguments and rebut them, not ignore them, and tell people not to look at them. That's just silly.

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

I have to admit I did this occasionally to appear a little more righteous.... I was brainwashed, what do you expect....

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

I noticed when I was the theocratic school overseer that the audience was constantly bobbling their heads; by the end of the meeting, they also had the deer in the headlights look.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Yes, I always noticed it. People do it in church, too.

I thought people did it to look more 'spiritual'.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Interesting study on the subject:

NODDING OR SHAKING YOUR HEAD MAY EVEN INFLUENCE YOUR OWN THOUGHTS, STUDY FINDS

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/headmvmt.htm

An excerpt:

"The study found that nodding your head up and down is, in effect, telling yourself that you have confidence in your own thoughts – whether those thoughts are positive or negative. Shaking your head does the opposite: its gives people less confidence in their own thoughts."

tall penguin

• dobbie
    dobbie

I never did it personally but it used to irritate me cos i used to sit at the back and had a prime view of them all.It used to annoy me when a couple would look at each other after some comment had been made and would both nod at each other. We had a batty (but nice)old lady who used to nod like those nodding dogs you put in the car and she'd say stuff out loud in agreement - and those around her would start agreeing with her etc agh! LMAO at 'bobbleheads'!never heard that word before!

• free2think
    free2think

There were lots of head-bobbers at my kh. And some of them also felt the need to repeat everything the bro said as if they were giving the talk. I used to find it hysterical even then.

• Confession
    Confession

Did any of you notice that a higher percentage of African-American friends were doing the head nodding? I notice this now in the group presentations I make to families around the country. From time to time lots of people nod, but when there are many black families, there's almost always lots of head nodding. It seems to be an attempt to let the speaker know they're listening. I like it--though I do remember getting irritated by it when I sat behind a chronic nodder at the KH.

Confession

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit