Payback! This time it's for real!

by Swan 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• mia_b
    mia_b

Yeah - i was rubbish when they last came round too - but it was 1st visit in 3 yrs and just 2 lads so i wud hav been mean to say anything other than not interested. wish i could plant a seed of doubt in someone but im not that clever.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

For various reasons, I rarely encounter this breed (or brand, take your pick).

Last summer though, I was standing in the lobby of an apartment building I was living in, glimpsing through my mail and weeding out the junk, when who should open the door to walk in but a witness couple in "field service". I momentarily contemplated evacuating the vicinity but quickly decided, "I'm not going anywhere. Besides, this should be interesting". I moved aside slightly to allow them access to the buzzers leaving them no good reason to turn around and leave. I glanced up briefly to (barely) acknowledge (nonchalantly) their presence (half curious as to whether they'd recognize me or whether they'd "try me"). No, on both counts.

I returned to reading my mail all the while getting a bit of a kick outta their discomfort with my presence and outta my newly discovered unflappable ease with theirs. As I went about reading and sorting my mail I could see them (peripherally) shuffling around, glancing at each other (and at me in their periphery) trying to gauge the "situation" of me standing not three feet away from where they had planned to engage in, I'll wager, the buzzer to buzzer work. (Apparently my standing there reading my mail presented some sort of obstacle to their all important "preaching work"? I mean, an actual human, not a door or a doorbell or a buzzer or a staged presentation at the KH, but an actual human. jumpin' jahoba, What do we do now!?)

The female stepped up to the buzzer panel, slowly, shuffling around. Then she decidedly took charge of the "situation", reached into her bookbag, pulled out her notebook and made a big production of saying loudly, "oh? what!? the number isn't here!" The brother followed her lead with mock shock, "Oh really? You. mean., this. isn't. the. right. one.?!" Back to her, "No. It. Isn't. We'll. have. to. go. back. to. the. car. and. look. for. the. right. address."

Meanwhile, I'm about ready to bust a gut laughing as they "announce" their way out of the lobby. I guess the "right" one wasn't in my building at all, cause they never came back.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Jim_TX - Agreed. That is the phrase that stuck out with me from that story too. Especially because it's the same line my father recently tried on me that stuck out. Makes me wonder if it some sort of rationalization they're using. The only thing I can think of is it being some way of trying to put it on us for misexperiencing the whole thing or somehow being "stumbled" by one bad experience. (As if.) Anyway, whatever they need to tell themselves. Funny how canned the whole presentation seems from the outside looking in. SPAZ

• Swan
    Swan

Carla,

Thanks for the sign offer, but I don't think I will go that route. My husband suggested something similar, but I told him I want JWs to feel free to come to my door and ask, "What do you know that I don't know?"

Finally Free,

Yes, that's what was so annoying. It was the sheer stupidity of the question. That's why I think it was some line in a rehearsed come back to the Kingdom Hall for the Memorial campaign.

"Let's see, I've been gone so long I don't even know the exact number of years, so how come you think I would feel any differently now?" Gimme a break.

Buttlight,

That's a normal reaction. It's hard to come up with, "I'm sorry you're so stupid to come to the wrong door, but I'm an apostate now and have never been happier!" on the spur of the moment.

VanillaMocha73

Dumb policy. I wonder if they ever call on Ray Franz?

What A Coincidence,

The last visit was a sister, and the visit before that was two sisters, so I suspect that I dropped off their radar for a while. Every time they came around though I made it clear I was an ex-JW and should be on their list. I thinks that's why the suits showed up this time. It's not official until someone with a penis verifies it.

Full of Doubt Now,

Hope they don't bother you, but if they do ask you, you can look at them dumbfounded and say "Why would you ask me a stupid question like that?"

AvidBibleReader,

Yes, it can get pretty silly. I have had them get off the elevator and take the stairs to avoid me.

Greendawn,

Then they take their chances on some elders being swayed by the two thirds of us who are happy with their new lives outside the Watchtower.

Jim,

He said it like some person stumbled me because they didn't say hello to me at the KH. If he ever comes back I will be sure and clear up that misconception and let him know it was because 35 years of lies no longer sounded like the truth to me.

Mia_b,

I just tell them the truth. "I'm no longer a JW. I've been out 10-15 years and I'm very happy that way. Put me on your list. Thanks. Goodbye."

It should be enough to put a seed of doubt in most publishers, especially if you are pleasant. These elder types, though, were almost begging for a stronger response with their stupid, condescending question and comment. I was a bit more curt with them. I let them know I definitely was not nor wanted to be a JW ever again.

SPAZnik

The woman who got off the elevator when I got on was the same way. She was making up an excuse to her little girl about why they were getting off, but it was so obviously a lie made up on the fly. It was very funny. It was hard not to laugh.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit