superstition sparks toilet cleaning craze

by BlackSwan of Memphis 15 Replies latest social current

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyid=2007-03-01T193300Z_01_T271092_RTRUKOC_0_US-JAPAN-LUCK.xml&src=rss

TOKYO (Reuters) - Cleanliness has long been next to godliness for the hygiene-conscious Japanese, but fortune-tellers are now advising those who want to succeed in life to start by scrubbing the smallest room.

"Cleaning the toilet to attract luck" published this month is the latest in a series of books advising readers on how to attract good fortune using a brush and an array of cleaning fluids.

"Don't just wipe the floor, polish it," the book instructs. "It's important to maintain a positive mood while cleaning."

The books are inspired by Buddhist teachings and feng shui, a traditional Chinese belief that people's fortunes are determined by their surroundings.

The idea that Lady Luck may be hiding in the lavatory has been taken up by magazines and television programs.

"I won the lottery! I married my ideal person! I got pregnant!" read some of the claims on the cover of another book on the topic, published last year.

The idea that a clean toilet can bring good fortune, or even make you more beautiful, has existed in Japan for many years, according to Yuka Soma of Makino Publishing in Tokyo, editor of one of the toilet books.

But she is still waiting for a big stroke of luck.

"I've always cleaned my toilet every day, so it never really gets dirty," she said. "At least it's easy that way and it probably helps keep my family healthy," she said.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

So....what they're sayin' is that if you don't clean your toilet, you'll have sh*tty luck? Makes sense to me! LOL!

Frannie

• undercover
    undercover

I think this toilet cleaning craze was started by an Assembly Hall Overseer...

I was in charge of a cleaning crew at an Assembly Hall and we were in charge of cleaning toilets at the end of the day. (the great thing about being the leader of the crew meant I could assign others to do the actual work while I ran between bathrooms making sure it was getting done...anyhoo, I digress)

After the bathrooms were cleaned, the AH Overseer (AH = Assembly Hall...not to be confused with Ass Hole...which also applied equally well) would come by and inspect them.

First of all, we were given inferior cleaning products to work with. They bought brand name cleaning supplies, cut them with water, about 50-50 and put them in plain bottles.

When the Overseer came in, he actually did a white glove test. He felt for dust in the nooks and crannies of evey stall and on top of divider walls. Any smears on glass and mirrors was unacceptble. What should have taken an hour to accomplish, took over three hours. One by one, my volunteers quietly disappeared, frustrated and disgruntled, leaving the chore of going back and forth between bathrooms to fewer and fewer people as the Overseer kept inspecting and finding problems.

On top of that, we weren't allowed to use the mop sinks in the janitor's closet. A "special" brother was assigned to take care of that. Then we needed to wash out trashcans out back at a can wash on the loading dock...except the handle to the hose bibb was missing. After asking around, I discovered that the handle was kept under lock and key in the Overseer's office. I had to go to him, sign out the handle (yes, I had to sign my name on a check out list) and when through, find him and hand him the handle. I was not allowed to leave it in the office.

Needless to say, I never volunteered to work at an Assembly Hall ever again.

• sir82
    sir82

Undercover, LOL

I had my own experiences with AH overseers, not quite so bad though.

I think they look for frustrated SS-officer wannabes to fill the position.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Frannie: Yep that about sums it up, lmao!

First of all, we were given inferior cleaning products to work with. They bought brand name cleaning supplies, cut them with water, about 50-50 and put them in plain bottles.

Ok this would Really piss me off!!

When the Overseer came in, he actually did a white glove test. He felt for dust in the nooks and crannies of evey stall and on top of divider walls. Any smears on glass and mirrors was unacceptble. What should have taken an hour to accomplish, took over three hours. One by one, my volunteers quietly disappeared, frustrated and disgruntled, leaving the chore of going back and forth between bathrooms to fewer and fewer people as the Overseer kept inspecting and finding problems.

Oy, this sounds like an old boss of mine.

On top of that, we weren't allowed to use the mop sinks in the janitor's closet. A "special" brother was assigned to take care of that. Then we needed to wash out trashcans out back at a can wash on the loading dock...except the handle to the hose bibb was missing. After asking around, I discovered that the handle was kept under lock and key in the Overseer's office. I had to go to him, sign out the handle (yes, I had to sign my name on a check out list) and when through, find him and hand him the handle. I was not allowed to leave it in the office.

Oh sheeze. Out of all the things that could get stolen?!

Needless to say, I never volunteered to work at an Assembly Hall ever again.

I don't blame you in the least!

I think they look for frustrated SS-officer wannabes to fill the position.
  • Brigid
    Brigid

Can't beat a clean toilet, no matter what the reason.

Stopping up your drains when you leave the house is good feng shui as well.

~Brigid, the repository of useless trivia

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Can't beat a clean toilet, no matter what the reason.

Hey I'm not going to argue with this!

Stopping up your drains when you leave the house is good feng shui as well.

This is good to know! <<makes mental note to do this before leaving for the mall>>

Brigid, the repository of useless trivia

No, no, no. This is So not useless. This is more like helpful. for the feng shui enthusiast.

• BFD
    BFD

That explains why I never win the lottery! I will clean my toilet as soon as I get home from work today, then run to the store and buy a handful of lottery tickets. Does 2000 flushes count?

BFD

• PEC
    PEC

How can so many smart people, be sooooooooooooo stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuupid?

Philip

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    a clean toilet can bring good fortune, or even make you more beautiful,

I have heard that Japanese toilet cleaners are the most beautiful women in the world.

They receive higher fees then any Geisha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit