Are parents allowed in their teenagers judicial meeting?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

A 16 year old girl was recently disfellowshipped from my congregation. I was told by some busybodies that she had a ''wordly'' boyfriend and that she committed fornication.Now she sits home alone while her parents attend 3 meetings per week.

My questions are:Did the Elders meet with the parents first to let them know what the offense was? Were her parents told what the judicial meeting would be about and how it works? Would the Elders let the parents attend the judicial meeting? If not,how can they let a teenager defend herself in front of grown men? Since she was under 18 years old,wouldn't the parents represent her as her guardian?

• sir82
    sir82

As a "courtesy", the elders will ask the parents of a baptized minor if they wish to attend the JC. There is no obligation to accept. And of course if the parents are not JWs then they would most likely not get invited.

Likewise, as a "courtesy", elders would invite the baptized husband of a JW woman to her JC meeting - less likely if she is accused / has confessed to adultery, though. Again, no obligation that he attend, nor would there likely be an invitiation if he were not baptized.

As a side point, this shows the Society's viewpoint of women - "spiritually", they are little more than children, and need to have their "head" present in such a "holy" meeting.

During the meeting, it's not very likely the parents would be called on to say anything, unless it has to do with the case.

Of course, there's an awful lot of BOEs who forget these rules, and just do whatever the hell they feel like doing.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Forget the elders. It's the parents who are scum. What are they thinking?

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

They would be permitted due to the "headship" arrangement. Her father is her "head" therefore responsible for her actions.

Kwin

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

When I was 17, and went to one elder and confessed the same thing, they didnt call my parents. I had to tell them. And yes, they were at the JC meeting with me.

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

When my brother had his first JC at 16, the elders did not want my parents in on the meetings. They had to really, really push and insist on their being there. The elders gave my parents, especially my mother, a very hard time.

BB

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

What's so wrong is that parents have full LEGAL custody of their minor child and have the LEGAL right to say who can and cannot interrogate question their child/teenager and they have the LEGAL right to be present during the interrogation questioning of said minor child and to call of the inquiry, as they see fit.

Frannie

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

My parents were always a part of the JC's that I was part of. I am not aware of any rules that prohibit the parents (in good standing) of a minor being prohibited from a JC.

• Balsam
    Balsam

One time my son was being counceled by the Elders. Nothing serious but they were telling him such outrageous things. So when it happen again I insisted my the husband (father of my sons) sit on on the meetings with any of the boys. I felt the Elders were out and out trying scare tactics on the boys trying to keep them in line with JW policy.

Funny the conversations with the boys changed entirely when their Dad was in the room with them. They were constantly counceling one boy or the other for their dress, behavior, hair, or some other nonsense. We had one Elder that accused my son of having a hair cult like a skin head. And he would not allow him to handle the mics anymore. My 16 year old son worked out doors building houses part time. It was insane and it finally led him to disreguard the witnesses all together.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Funny, whatever happened to confidentiality? If I am a baptized 16 y.o., the tenets of the WTS say that my JC case is strictly confidential. THIS SHOULD ALSO INCLUDE KEEPING THE DETAILS CONFIDENTIAL FROM MY PARENTS. If the WTS wants to get technical and bring up "Caesar's law" by saying that a minor child under the age of 18 can be accompanied by their parents, this knife should cut the other way as well. Would an 18 y.o. be allowed to bring in a parent? Would the 16 y.o. be allowed to refuse having a parent present - keeping them in the dark? How about if the 16 y.o. brought in an attorney? What difference would it make? The confidentiality has been broken either way.

I don't believe this specific issue has been discussed at length before, has it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit