"Pollutants change 'he' frogs into 'she' frogs."

by FreedomFrog 7 Replies latest jw friends

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I'm studying environmental science right now and our course has been on pollution/extinction and things that we as humans are doing to our earth. I thought this article was interesting...scarey...but interesting. Because of pollution, we are causing some life forms to actually change what they were meant to be. This is causing some of the frogs to become endangered.

Here's the site...I got this from Yahoo news this morning...YIKES!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070227/sc_afp/scienceenvironmentanimalssexfrogs

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

It's sad when we consider what we're doing to the environment.

It was noticed in the fish population of the UK a few years ago and was blamed largely on the contraceptive pill because oestrogen isn't removed during sewage treatment before the treated effluent is released back into the rivers.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

This sounds like the effect of endocrine disruptors. In my industry (paint and coatings) there is a widespread move to eliminate alkyphenyl ethoxylates (which are used as pigment dispersants) because they degrade to substances which can mimic oestrogen.

• Roski
    Roski

Interesting...do you have any more information as to which chemicals (apart from the above mentioned) play a part in this process, and their effect on humans?

Thanks...

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    This sounds like the effect of endocrine disruptors. In my industry (paint and coatings) there is a widespread move to eliminate alkyphenyl ethoxylates (which are used as pigment dispersants) because they degrade to substances which can mimic oestrogen.

Ouch... that hurt my brain...

Here's what I got:

"This sounds like the effect of Romulan disruptors. In my industry (Neutral zone patrol) there is a widespread move to eliminate disrupter Radiation (which are used as subatomic dispersants) because they degrade to substances which can mimic Tacaeon particles. "

LtCmd.Lore

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Lt.Cmd Lore, I can't believe you don't know what paint is. Or oestrogen, for that matter.

I'll try again.

This sounds like the effect of chemicals which interfere with hormone functions. In the paint industry, there is a widespread move to eliminate the use of specific chemicals which are used to help the colours mix into the paint and make sure the paint stays mixed together, because they degrade to substances which mimic oestrogen.

Sometimes I see terms that I don't understand. I "google" them.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I saw that article also.

Will that little flying frog soon have a deeper voice I wonder?

Jeff

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Lt.Cmd Lore, I can't believe you don't know what paint is. Or oestrogen, for that matter.

Acctualy I recognised everything except 'alkyphenyl ethoxylates' but that made me realize how many big words were in that one paragraph.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit