Would an apology be enough?

by Big Tex 33 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I read this article and got goosebumps.

I've long since put to rest the old demons of my childhood. What happened, happened but that was 40 years ago and I've gone through hell and come out the other side. But reading this, the thought occurred to me: what if one of my abusers contacted me? What if one of them (at last count I think there were 4 different abusers) wrote or called to apologize? Of course it won't happen, but the idea occurred to me now.

Would that contact only stir up those old feelings and memories? And reading through this article, I noticed that this fellow's story wasn't exactly accurate. I noticed that the woman's memory of the rape may have indeed been more accurate than the man's 'confession'.

And that led me to think if one of those old abusers did contact and told me something that not only confirmed my worst fears but added to them?

Would you want someone from your past contacting you, to "apologize" for a crime against you? And if they did, how would you feel? What would you do? And what if you had confirmed your worst feelings or worst memories proved to be true? Would you want to know?

Here's the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/02/25/forgive.ap/index.html

Quest for amends brings justice for 1984 college attack

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia (AP) -- William Beebe had been haunted by that night for years.

He'd tried to send the letter before -- and failed. Just like he'd failed to stick with Alcoholics Anonymous. Just like he'd failed at so much in life.

This time, he was staying with the program. But should he really take that treacherous ninth step?

It told him to make amends to those he'd hurt -- unless doing so would injure them further. Some had warned him to leave it alone. But he'd prayed on it.

And so, he began to write.

"You got a letter," Mike Seccuro said, tossing an envelope onto wife Liz's lap as he climbed behind the wheel of their minivan.

Who lives in Vegas? she wondered before her eyes stopped on the sender's name. She froze. It was a name she had not uttered in 20 years. Her body suddenly felt cold, her brain fuzzy. With shaking hands, she opened the envelope.

"Dear Elizabeth," the letter began. "In 1984 I harmed you."

She wept.

Flashback
    She was Liz Schimpf then, a petite 17-year-old blonde from Yonkers, New York, just a few weeks into her first year at the University of Virginia.

The frat brother tending bar at Phi Kappa Psi handed her a green concoction.

Exactly what happened next during the early morning hours of October 5, 1984, remains unclear. This is what she remembers:

The drink made her feel strange and panicky.

William Beebe, a student she didn't know, dragged her to his room. He pulled her onto his lap, kissed her neck, her ear.

Repulsed, she pulled free and bolted from the room.

"HELP ME!" she screamed.

A brother tossed her at Beebe, then left. Beebe tore off her clothes and threw her on the bed. She was a virgin. This wasn't how it was supposed to happen.

His weight was crushing her, his smell a nauseating mix of alcohol and body odor. She fought him, clamped her legs shut. He pried them open.

The pain was blinding. She couldn't breathe. She passed out.

Lights. Movement. Voices. Touching.

Darkness.

'How can you live with yourself?'
    In the minivan, Seccuro was crying so hard her frightened daughter had begun to wail.

"I can scarcely begin to understand the degree to which, through your eyes, my behavior has affected you in its wake," Beebe had written. "Still, I stand prepared to hear from you about just how, and in what ways you've been affected, and to begin to set right the wrong I've done."

Over the next week, she felt afraid and vulnerable. Was her family in danger? The questions finally overwhelmed her. She grabbed her BlackBerry.

"How can you live with yourself?" she typed.

He e-mailed back the next day.

"I always felt tremendous guilt for the ways in which I imagined my conduct had damaged you, and for years too the only solution seemed to be the bottle, which worked less and less over time to assuage the guilt," he wrote. "This is to say that the way that I lived with myself was of course not really living at all."

"It appears I have laid the groundwork for a shattered life, and I simply do not know what to do, save for doing what you ask."

But Seccuro didn't know what to do either. Yet she wondered: Why had he done what he'd done?

E-mails exchanged
    The only way to find out, she reasoned, was to write back. And so began a two-month e-mail correspondence. Seccuro told Beebe of the devastating effects of his actions; Beebe detailed the devastating effects of the bottle.

After that night in 1984, Seccuro was never the same. She reported the attack to university officials and campus police, she said, but immediately felt dismissed and disbelieved.

She became a loner. Her grades plummeted. At 22, she entered a tumultuous marriage that quickly unraveled. Part of her felt dead. Panic attacks were frequent and frightening.

Gradually, life improved. She married Mike, gave birth to beautiful Ava, and found success as an event planner in Greenwich, Connecticut. But she never stopped wondering what had become of him.

His life, too, had been filled with miseries, he wrote. After that night, he was summoned to the dean's office and told of possible judicial proceedings.

"I was pinned by my failure as a person," he wrote. "A day or so later I withdrew from UVA, unwilling to step up to the plate."

Even then, he wrote, his drinking was a problem. One afternoon, it hit him: Was he an alcoholic? He entered rehab and moved home. A month later, he was drinking again.

Over the next nine years, he wrote, he exhausted his parents, employers and friends. Women dismissed him as a drunken, selfish slob.

Taking the steps of AA
    He arrived at AA in 1993, after years of trying to get sober in the fellowship, he wrote. This time, he stayed.

From the moment he read AA's eighth step -- making a list of those he'd harmed -- he wanted to contact Seccuro. But his sponsor said that would only hurt her.

As the years passed, Beebe wrote, his sponsor fell off the wagon. The man later told him he'd started drinking again over unfinished amends.

Beebe's new sponsor told him to pray and search for Seccuro. Twice he wrote her, but the addresses were wrong and the letters returned. Eventually, he tried again.

Seccuro read Beebe's e-mails with growing unease. Was this apology meant to help her -- or him? Her skepticism grew when they broached the topic of what happened that night in 1984.

"Were you my only attacker?" she asked. "I clearly have an impression of this being either a gang rape or a 'spectator sport' for the rushees."

Beebe's account, however, was disturbingly different from hers.

"I 'convinced' you after what seemed like hesitation, that staying w/ me in my room upstairs was better than walking all the way back to the suites," he wrote. "Of course, seeing opportunity to have a good time w/ you overrode any gentlemanly efforts to return you safely back to the dorms."

'I was the only one'
    "We started to make out in my room a while," he continued. "There was no fight and it was all over in short order. When we awoke in the morning it was still chilly out, so i lent you my jean jacket, and you walked home."

"There were no other men present. I was the only one."

There was certainly a fight that night, Seccuro responded angrily. She awoke wrapped in a bloody sheet, then walked to the emergency room.

"I thought after all this time, you realized you had raped me and were apologizing," she wrote. "I trusted that your apology came from a good and honest place and I see this is not the case."

He had been drunk that night, he acknowledged, though not so drunk he couldn't remember what happened. But he didn't doubt her version.

"I did not get to choose being raped and having my virginity taken from me so brutally," Seccuro wrote. "Now, I don't get to choose having this wound reopened."

And something else bothered her. Why was he shying away from using the word "rape"?

Beebe responded.

"I want to make clear that I'm not intentionally minimizing the fact of having raped you," he wrote.

"I did."

Criminal prosecution
    Seccuro felt confused and drained. A few days later, she stumbled across a Web site dedicated to victims of rape at the University of Virginia. She was floored. The problem suddenly seemed bigger than her own.

Minutes later, she left a message with the Charlottesville police.

On January 4, 2006, Beebe was arrested in Las Vegas. There is no statute of limitations on felonies in Virginia, and with Beebe's written confession, it appeared to be an open and shut case.

Except Beebe, facing a sentence of life in prison, suddenly denied raping Seccuro.

She couldn't believe it. They were headed for trial.

Seccuro was in for another shock. She began receiving critical e-mails and letters, many from Christians condemning her for pressing charges, admonishing her to forgive.

But she HAD forgiven Beebe. Couldn't she forgive and still want justice?

Her panic attacks returned. Some friends stopped calling. She suffered a miscarriage while nervously awaiting Beebe's arrest.

Any leftover energy went to Ava, not her husband. Despite his efforts to understand, her experience remained alien to him.

It seemed Beebe was hurting her again. And could she forgive him for that?

On April 17, Beebe was indicted on two felony counts: rape and object sexual penetration.

Seven months later, he stood before the judge. "Guilty as charged," he said calmly.

Plea deal and investigation
    But he was pleading guilty to a lesser charge of aggravated sexual battery; the other charges had been dropped. The prosecution's recommended sentence: two years in prison.

Why had they agreed to a plea?

Then the prosecutor dropped the bombshell: Investigators believed Seccuro was gang raped.

Seccuro had long suspected it. And prosecutors knew Beebe's cooperation could be key in bringing other possible attackers to justice.

Outside the courthouse, Beebe finally spoke.

"Twenty-two years ago, I harmed another person," he said. "And I have tried to set that right."

The investigation into the events of that night continues. Beebe's cooperation with authorities will be a consideration when he is sentenced March 15. He remains free on bond and has been ordered to continue attending AA meetings.

Seccuro launched a donor fund called STARS -- Sisters Together Assisting Rape Survivors -- to raise money for rape victims and their families.

Some still tell her to accept Beebe's apology and move on. Forgiveness, however, isn't so simple, she says. She has forgiven Beebe for attacking her, and for disrupting her life. But she sometimes struggles to remain merciful.

She does not forgive those who knew about or witnessed the events of that night and have remained silent. Nor does she forgive the university.

But to Seccuro, forgiveness was never the issue. To her, it's very simple. The apology was for him. Justice is for her.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I just read your part, not the article. Right off the top I'd say the abuser must get permission first before offering an apology. What is healing for one might be intrusion for another. More than anything else, survivors deserve to choose when and how much is dredged up.

• Irreverent
    Irreverent

It would be interesting if my abuser contacted me and offered an apology. I know that there could not be any legal justice offered me in legal system we now have. So, an option of justice is not there for me. I would probably listen to what his apology would be. I would ask him if he has apologized to any other victims. I honestly don't know if I would get violent, probably not; but it could become very upsetting to me. Don't see this scenario ever happening though.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    What is healing for one might be intrusion for another. More than anything else, survivors deserve to choose when and how much is dredged up

Janet that's one of the points of the article. The other being stirring up old ghosts. The last being the "apology" being nothing of the sort but someone who's looking for absolution.

Chris

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Interesting thought Big Tex. I would like to think I was man enough to accept his apology, if I felt it sincere. However, my gut still tells me that I would probably beat the crap out of him, and feed him his weapon of violence.

What makes this question interesting for me is that I feel I'm over the incidents. Some years of counseling and JWD have helped me understand what happened, the ability to talk about it, and move on. However, I still know, in my gut, I'm very angry what he did to a ten year old child under his roof.

steve

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

There were quite a few points in that account which made me positively angry.

Him withdrawing his confession because he suddenly realised the consequences makes me wonder if he apologised to her to salve his own conscience - therefore not any genuine sorrow for what he did.

The abuse she got from so-called Christians - let me wonder how many of them have the slightest clue about sexual abuse. I thank God that the Christian friends I have aren't treating me like that - even though my abusers are beyond earthly justice now, they don't even demand that I forgive,

The penal system so full of holes that leaves victims subjected to further abuse.

At this time, if I could meet my the guy who molested me, I'd smash his face in and ask questions later, Maybe there will be a time when I'm not as angry, maybe not...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

This is easy..That sick piece of sh*t knew he was doing someone harm.."Ooop`s!..I was bad..I`m sorry".....As far as I`m concerned.A bullet in the head is too good for him,but it will do...OUTLAW

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    There were quite a few points in that account which made me positively angry

Yeah actually me as well. For the same reasons. I don't know which is worse: the holier-than-thou "Christians" who demand forgiveness or the creep playing mind games.

I know that there could not be any legal justice offered me in legal system we now have. So, an option of justice is not there for me. I would probably listen to what his apology would be. I would ask him if he has apologized to any other victims. I honestly don't know if I would get violent, probably not; but it could become very upsetting to me. Don't see this scenario ever happening though.

Again, kinda how I feel Irrev. When 4 decades have passed, ain't no justice left in this world. So my first thought would be: WTF?!

I'd listen, but I have a feeling I'd regret it.

For what it's worth, my feeling about forgiveness is not necessarily the literal forgiving of the crime or the criminal. In my experience, forgiveness is a multi-layered experience taking many years; part of which begins with forgiving yourself and ending with putting the event, and all that, that entails, behind you so that you can move forward.

Chris

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, I don't think you need their apology to move on and heal. I haven't needed it. I have found support from others who have gone through similar experiences. Apologies are just words...what are their actions? Like Irreverent said, have they apologized to the other people they have hurt. What are they doing to make amends?

My abuser died recently without ever apologizing and even denying down to the end they had abused anyone.

It is important to listen to what they are sorry for.

Have you ever heard someone say: "I'm sorry you were upset by what I said." How can they apologize for your feelings?. They should be able to detail what "they did" to hurt you and why it is hurtful.

You are not obligated to forgive them just because of some words they say...actions speak louder than words and take longer than the few seconds to say "I'm sorry."

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I read the whole thing which I don't often do and I am so angry.

He "harmed" her? Talk about minimizing!!!

6/10 of my abusers are dead ao expectation of apologies are minimal

It seems to me that if he was really concerned whether to contact her he might have been bold enough to do a little research. It isn't hard. Books about sexual assault are easily found.

He lived a life of guilt? He raped her and called it "harm" What did he expect her to feel? It seems he had no expectations about her reactions the the assault and wanted her to absolve him so he could be guilt free.

He picked at her wound until it bled again. And then didn't have the balls to own up to what he did in front of other - the justice system. That isn't what AA step is all about. If owning up to past crimes means jail then you do the time if things go that way. Not pleading down to lesser charges.

grrr Christians or any one else who say people must forgive are full of themselves. Not only did he assault her in the past but he ripped her life apart years later. And people are telling her to just forgive him and all will be OK.

It isn't. Three littke words can never undo the damage these people inflict on others.

As I am writing this I am oddly conflicted. My husband sexually assaulted me regularly throughout out 15 yr marriage. Over the last couple of years I have become a lot more . . . I don't even know what to call it. I'm just not as angry as I used to be. I think I could easily be in a casual family gathering and have him there and not want to take him out. I would only do that for my daughters

If he ever apologized? I think my first question would be "Do you have any idea what you are apologizing for? If not, go do some reading and then come back and we'll talk"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit