The CRITIC and the Phony Artist: A Lesson for us all?

by Terry 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Terry
    Terry
    From the Washington Post (02/22):

Too Perfect Harmony
    How Technology Fostered, and Detected, a Pianist's Alleged Plagiarism

By Mike Musgrove

Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, February 22, 2007; D01

A piece of software used by Apple's iTunes has accidentally sparked a scandal in the classical music world -- and cast a shadow on the reputation of an obscure, deceased British pianist now accused of plagiarism.

The alleged hoax, in which the recorded works of pianist Joyce Hatto have been called into question, was uncovered using database software that automatically identifies CDs so that fans don't have to manually enter artist and track information when they load the music onto their computers. Technology helped enable the alleged trickery; a newer technology uncovered it.

When a reader of the British classical music magazine Gramophone loaded a Hatto disc onto his computer, the database correctly identified it as a performance of a Franz Liszt piano composition -- but marked it as a CD recorded by another pianist, Laszlo Simon. The technology behind the CD database, operated by Gracenote, a California company, indexes data on about 4 million CDs. The lengths of tracks on Hatto's and Simon's albums were identical, causing the database to make what appeared to be a mistake.

Or was it a mistake? The reader contacted a Gramophone critic, who played the Simon recording on iTunes, compared it to the Hatto recording and found that the two CDs sounded the same. The magazine passed the matter to independent sound engineers, who have concluded that the two versions were, in fact, the same performance. Since then, engineers have found at least a dozen examples of other performances that appear to have been pilfered and issued under Hatto's name.

Gramophone revealed its findings on its Web site last Thursday in what it said was an abbreviated form of a story to be published in the magazine's April issue.

Hatto's recordings were published by her husband, William Barrington-Coupe, on a small British label called Concert Artist. The label has released more than 100 albums under Hatto's name. Barrington-Coupe yesterday denied any wrongdoing.
    "Sound waves don't prove anything," he said. "If the sound waves are giving that impression, I'm at a loss." [My favorite quotes of the story! - Doug]

Barrington-Coupe said that the findings published on the Web , have started a "culture of fear" among critics in London who are afraid to stand up and defend the Hatto recordings now in dispute. "They're being told that something is a scientific fact, and they're no longer believing their ears," he said.

Hatto died last year at the age of 77 after a long battle with cancer. Although she was largely unknown for most of her career, she won a few champions among critics toward the end of her life. A reviewer for the Boston Globe, for example, called her "the greatest living pianist that almost no one has ever heard of."

Her illness forced her to give up performing in public decades before she died.

One sound engineer consulted for the British magazine's piece found a Hatto recording that he believes is a performance originally attributed to Japanese pianist Minoru Nojima.

"No pianist who's ever lived could replicate a performance to anything like the degree of accuracy heard here; it's simply not humanly possible," Andrew Rose, the engineer, wrote in a recent posting on his Web site, where he has put up clips of the music and side-by-side images of the recordings' sound waves (http://www.pristineclassical.com).

Rose, who works for the audio restoration firm Pristine Audio, wrote that the recordings are alike down to a measurement of "1/44,100th of a second."

He concluded that some of the Hatto recordings he looked at had been tampered with in an apparent move to evade detection. He found, for example, that one track had been slowed down by more than 15 percent; when the effect was reversed, Rose concluded that the track had originally been published on a recording attributed to pianist Carlo Grante. "We have yet to investigate a Hatto recording that has not proved to be a hoax," he wrote.

Tom Huizenga, a music producer at National Public Radio who also reviews classical music performances for The Washington Post, said "it would be hard to dispute" the findings of the sound engineers in this case.

Different performers play pieces with their own unique rhythms, he said, and different pianos recorded in different environments would also produce different sound waves -- rather than the identical ones found by the engineers in this case.

"Looks like this guy" -- Hatto's husband -- "is busted big time," he said. The editor of Gramophone, James Inverne, said yesterday that he did not have a theory as to how other artists' performances ended up under Hatto's name but that there was no doubt in his mind that the recordings were pilfered. He called the story "sad" and "ironic."

"You may use technology to try and hoodwink people," he said, "but you never know when it's going to come back and bite you."

There are several things in this article of interest to me for various reasons.

There have always been charletons in the music world and in the arts generally. That's a given. What is more interesting is the role critics play in launching/destroying a career as an artist.

American Idol has revealed a dirty little secret. The majority of performers are beyond dreadful, yet, have confidence and support of others. We live in a culture that makes objective reality merely an opinion and pushes self-esteem into self-love without anything to back it up greater than insisting you are great!

Epistemology is a branch of Philosophy which deals with What do we Know and HOW do we know it. There is a plague sweeping our culture that disconnects opinion about art from any reality in an objective sense of co-ordination among the elements such as line, tone, texture, form, color, balance and presentation. The average Joe has no formal Epistemology training and relies on the least of all standards: mere opinion.

The Mystics of the Mind who run our schools and colleges have implanted this idea in idealistic minds and the result has been a plethora of mediocrity everywhere.

How much of what passes for success in Music, Art, Literature, Entertainment and such can pass an objective test?

Let us use SPORTS as an analogy. In SPORTS a player has to produce results to be regarded as great. An objective result backs up the claim to talent and ability. No score:no talent. In non-sports the criterion for greatness devolves down to how much money the art can generate!

Ten thousand applauding morons does not impute talent or achievement; it only creates a popularity contest won by default of culture rot.

But, in music and art there is no education among the masses to instruct the mind of an audience as to what is passable and what is magnificent.

If an uneducated audience screams "BRAVO!" it sickens a society at its very core.

We all have a responsibility to ourselves to become familiar with the consituency of greatness by exposing our mind to a wide variety of critical study before we are able to give an opinion that matters.

What is the dividing line between natural talent and superb transcendance in singing, for example? How does a Mario Lanza measure up to a Luciano Pavoratti? Can a Monet or Chagall be commensurable with a Thomas Kinkaide? How do we learn to see and hear with an informed tool kit of precise thought? How can we analyze what we see and hear so as to think for ourselves?

The common utterance out of the mouth of the great unwashed multitude seems to be: I don't know good art from bad; I only know what I like.

Is this how YOU feel?

• Clam
    Clam
    The common utterance out of the mouth of the great unwashed multitude seems to be: I don't know good art from bad; I only know what I like.

Our society has offered us so much choice, that choice itself has diluted quality. Then add the bulk ingredient: mediocrity, and finding quality is like trying to find a needle in a dung heap.

Thought provoking post as per usual Terry.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, it is true that our society is pathetic and what passes for talent in many cases is inferior. But, what can you expect? We live in the age of hypocrisy, atheism, political correctness and dumbed down education. This is the result.

I agree with most of what you say - especially about art. I HATE most modern art and I consider people who gush over it to be morons looking for acceptance from other morons. I wouldn't hang this garbage in my toilet.

LHG

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Terry,

A very good post, and I could not agree more with the majority of your summation. I read about the Hatto affair some while ago and frankly was not suprised.

I once started a thread on this Board regarding Duke Ellington's comment about music, that is, that good and bad music is measurable and definable. It caused a maelstrom of disagreement from most, if not all posters, who felt that the definition of what was good depended not on the quality of the music, but whether they liked it or not! This is obviously a very flawed viewpoint that is a symptom of the mediocrity that is flooding the industry and as you note starts in the education system.

The art and entertainment industry has become a vast copying machine that prints currency in the form of people. People who have been carefully matched, colored and toned to mimic the innovators, so that they can produce disgusting amounts of cash for both themselves and the industries they feed. The kids of course follow like sheep led to slaughter and soak up art as if it were fashion.

As Joni Mitchell noted, what we are hearing in the industry is 'not the creative but the created'.

HS

• Terry
    Terry
    I once started a thread on this Board regarding Duke Ellington's comment about music, that is, that good and bad music is measurable and definable. It caused a maelstrom of disagreement from most, if not all posters, who felt that the definition of what was good depended not on the quality of the music, but whether they liked it or not! This is obviously a very flawed viewpoint that is a symptom of the mediocrity that is flooding the industry and as you note starts in the education system.

I like to think of the arts in the same way I think about food and drink.

If we don't sample a very wide variety of food and drink our choice devolves down to the best of the very least. This is hardly "choice" and more like atrophy or attrition.

I took a wine tasting course once when I lived in Southern California. At first, I scoffed. It all pretty much tasted "the same" as I was callow and uninformed by a virgin palette. As the weeks went on, however, I LEARNED to taste what had been unknown to me. I learned HOW to sniff and roll the flavors around to the sensors on my tongue and experience the variety of aftertastes. My ability to distinguish kinds, types, modes and instances blossomed.

The same was true for my knowledge of Art. I was in the Art Business for almost 30 years. It took me the most part of 10 years just to understand what an artist was saying when they were talking to me. But, observing them as they worked and asking questions gradually enabled me to "see" as they were seeing. The dawning of artist sensibility is gradual. When it comes full blown you have developed a particularity of "seeing" and experiencing from so many sides of creativity. For myself, I discovered that Art does not merely have to be done "correctly" it must somehow change the viewer.

To not know or care if there is bad, mediocre, good, better and best in everything is to cheat yourself out of a lifetime of specific intelligence and enjoyment. If I now love something or hate something it comes from a list of meaningful reasons connected to an informed reality.

The gain was mine.

The art and entertainment industry has become a vast copying machine that prints currency in the form of people. People who have been carefully matched, colored and toned to mimic the innovators, so that they can produce disgusting amounts of cash for both themselves and the industries they feed. The kids of course follow like sheep led to slaughter and soak up art as if it were fashion.

Musical tastes today have less to do with music than they do a socio/political club the young identify with which blends them in with a power structure collective and hides the atrophied state of their personality in GROUPTHINK. You choose the group you wish to identify with and you automatically know how to dress, what tatoos to sport and how to cut your hair. Identity no longer comes from self-discovery; it comes from being minted in the coin factory of an Industry.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings Terry,

I wrote in my diary that I'm not sufficiently awake to "talk" yet, but I passed on your thread moments after it first came up. Cannot put it off indefinitely.
    A good friend is an excellent, professional photographer - in the business some 30 years. His matting and framing is perfection. His dilemma - and that of his compatriots - is what he described to me as the "good enough" scenario. Buy a digital camera, a printer, et cetera, et cetera. That do-it-yourself move on the part of the masses is understandable. When I had the means, I bought real art and photography. As an art dealer and artist, this was only natural. Now I wish I had a camera and printer!
    I am still very adamant - which is merely relative, I acknowledge - about discriminating between schlock and fine art. My friend, the photographer, has great difficulty getting paid in a timely manner, if at all, for his work [he is an artist, not a businessman]. Yet a former student of mine was the subject of a nicely composed, but rather ordinary, photograph. The completed and "packaged" photographic presentation fetched ten grand. The young person with the camera is an amateur photographer [not meant to be a slur].
    I enjoyed your comments, Terry, on Ennio Morricone at the ACADEMY AWARDS. His music is truly fascinating, yet it is music of the movies. No matter. Franz Waxman, Nino Rota, Bernard Herrmann, Elmer Bernstein - all greats! You were right about the AA's orchestra showing the Maestro respect. Let him talk his heart out. We had to wait long enough to hear him!

Coco

• Terry
    Terry

I wrote in my diary that I'm not sufficiently awake to "talk" yet, but I passed on your thread moments after it first came up. Cannot put it off indefinitely.
    A good friend is an excellent, professional photographer - in the business some 30 years. His matting and framing is perfection. His dilemma - and that of his compatriots - is what he described to me as the "good enough" scenario. Buy a digital camera, a printer, et cetera, et cetera. That do-it-yourself move on the part of the masses is understandable. When I had the means, I bought real art and photography. As an art dealer and artist, this was only natural. Now I wish I had a camera and printer!
    I am still very adamant - which is merely relative, I acknowledge - about discriminating between schlock and fine art. My friend, the photographer, has great difficulty getting paid in a timely manner, if at all, for his work [he is an artist, not a businessman]. Yet a former student of mine was the subject of a nicely composed, but rather ordinary, photograph. The completed and "packaged" photographic presentation fetched ten grand. The young person with the camera is an amateur photographer [not meant to be a slur].
    I enjoyed your comments, Terry, on Ennio Morricone at the ACADEMY AWARDS. His music is truly fascinating, yet it is music of the movies. No matter. Franz Waxman, Nino Rota, Bernard Herrmann, Elmer Bernstein - all greats! You were right about the AA's orchestra showing the Maestro respect. Let him talk his heart out. We had to wait long enough to hear him!

Coco

I was a custom picture framer in an art gallery for a long time. It is a profession I mostly loved. (Up to a point.) I was married to a photographer for 18 years and certainly understand how difficult it is to earn a living at it unless you end up shooting High School graduation photos and doing weddings!

The thing, I suppose, that many people outside the Arts don't realize is that there is a difference between Art and Fine Art. The word Fine means "finished". It refers to the fact that this particular art is not created to SERVE ANY PRACTICAL PURPOSE other than "being" what it is: an expression of an individual's point of view.

Most of the decorative art in people's homes is, certainly, photo-realism. Things look like what they are. Why? I guess it means the person buying it isn't challenged to defend "what-it-is" or "what-it-means". There is a comfort to a sunset looking like a sunset. But, decorating your living room probably isn't what motivated a fine artist to create their work!

Film music, on the other hand, is utility. It serves a purpose. Yet, many of the wonderful sonorities and melodies (of the Golden Era) are vital in bringing alive some semblance of humanity by generating emotional response to the angst of the music or the beauty of the melody and attaching that feeling (pin the tail on the donkey style) to the visuals. I'm not ashamed to say I love the film maestros dearly and own thousands of soundtracks.

Good to hear from an afficiando!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Ten thousand applauding morons does not impute talent or achievement; it only creates a popularity contest won by default of culture rot.

brilliant observation . Something we have all (or most of us said) when TV promotes talentless amateurs and people pay to phone in and vote - rather than book real artists for a TV show... Modern pop culture created by the media for its own ends, and the people buy it..

• Quentin
    Quentin

The only "pop culture" show I come anywhere near enjoying is "Dancing with The Stars"...

Some great comments and insight here folks...can't add much to what's already been said...Ted Mack where are you when we need you?..

• Terry
    Terry
    Ted Mack where are you when we need you?..

Ohhhhhh, are you showing your age here or what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit