Academic Survey: Ex-JW Participants Needed

by JW_Researcher 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DJK
    DJK

There are 20 questions. All answers are strictly confidential.

Ooopps! That survey doesn't look confidential to ME! I think many on this board will agree that raising children in a JW environment is, to be polite, not the best and the survey in my opinion exposes as a weakness that other's can exploit. Not that they aren't working hard on it already.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    Will the results, now that you have displayed them, benifit the JWs in any way?

Perish the thought! I can't imagine that it will benefit JWs in any way. No one is identified and no one is identifiable. Do you have a thought regarding how the results might benefit JWs in some way?

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Sorry I posted to your first question before I saw this comment.

Ooopps! That survey doesn't look confidential to ME! I think many on this board will agree that raising children in a JW environment is, to be polite, not the best and the survey in my opinion exposes as a weakness that other's can exploit. Not that they aren't working hard on it already.

The survey is completely confidential. If you individually feel uncomfortable, please don't participate. It's completely voluntary.

It is unethical to claim confidentiality where none exists. Universities (at least the universities with which I've been associated) don't tolerate misrepresentation of that type.

Please describe how this could be "exploited." Thank you.

• DJK
    DJK
    Yes, my one or both of my parents were JWs when I was 20 years old or younger 1 2.08%
    Yes, my one or both of my parents were JWs when I was 5 years old or younger 34 70.83%

When the WBTS reads this they can see it as dollars and cents. 34 to 1. They will control parents with new methods of raising children to ensure new adults to control in the future. 34 is a target area and if you can weaken that mind with better brainwashing, the money is as good as in your pocket.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    When the WBTS reads this they can see it as dollars and cents. 34 to 1. They will control parents with new methods of raising children to ensure new adults to control in the future. 34 is a target area and if you can weaken that mind with better brainwashing, the money is as good as in your pocket.

I see. So your fear is that the WTBTS will "discover" that some folks who are raised as JWs don't remain JWs as adults.

After the WTBTS "discovers" this by means of the survey's self-selected sample (the numbers are niether "representative" nor "generalizable" past the sample), the WTBTS will develop more brainwashing tactics to keep young JWs from leaving.

So, in your opinion, prior to this thread, the WTBTS was not aware that many "young ones" leave?

• DJK
    DJK

They are aware of it, but do we need to feed it to them? If your doing this study for a class, how does posting the results on this board effect your grade? I wanted to participate in the survey, sadly I am part of the five or less group and I can't in good consciense contribute if the answers will not be confidential.

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher
    They are aware of it, but do we need to feed it to them? If your doing this study for a class, how does posting the results on this board effect your grade? I wanted to participate in the survey, sadly I am part of the five or less group and I can't in good consciense contribute if the answers will not be confidential.

Once again, I'm a bit confused. I did not represent that "posting the results on this board [will] effect [my] grade"? Where does this thought originate? Junction-Guy wrote:

You're welcome, please share the results with us, once they are tallied up.

If you look at some of the threads, the "polling" type threads are generally popular.

For example, Minimus' thread "How far did you get in the organization?" highlighted all of the talent the WTBTS has lost. Of course, it also "fed" the WTBTS the information that some individuals with "privileges of service" leave the WTBTS.

As I have stressed, the survey and its results, are completely confidential. If the aggregated results are posted, not one person can be identified. I can not identify individuals even if that was a desire. It is not possible to identify individuals from the survey. In my opinion, to think otherwise seems to be "magical thinking" and a bit paranoid.

Healthy skepticism is great. However, thus far, I have not seen your concerns supported or, really, even articulated.

While I am appreciative that your questions have kept this thread toward the top of the board, your concerns are completely without merit.

I greatly appreciate those who have spent the 3 or 4 minutes it takes to complete the survey. To those who are fearful, I understand your non-participation.

Thank you.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

DJK - I don't know if it will help you to feel better or not, but I just read that a survey of people in Great Britain showed that only 1 in 12 ever leaves the religion of their upbringing, JWs or not.

So, maybe your concerns could be less with the results of this survey, and more along the lines of what it is that locks people into any religious worldview. It is a more general problem than just the JWs, although the JWs are extreme in their need to keep families locked in as a cult, I think.

I'm not saying your concerns aren't legitimate, but the Watchtower Society exploits everything and twists everything secular, anyway, to promote it's views, you know? Look at what they do with the blood transfusion issue:

ajwrb.org

• codeblue
    codeblue

I just responded..........hope it helps you out somehow.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I gave up at the first question as I am afraid there was no option for me to pick.

Neither of my parents are or ever have been Witnesses and I became a Witness as a youth. (unbaptised publisher at 13 and baptised at 15)

There is no box for me.

Does that mean there is a flaw in the survey or in me?

Slim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit