Watchtower allows Banned Red Blood Cell Transfers in Liver Transplants?

by hawkaw 22 Replies latest watchtower medical

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Red Blood Cells in Transplanted Livers.

Generally donor livers are washed and undergo cold storage (CS) perfusion (injection) preservation usually using University of Wisconsin solution (UW). The idea is to remove blood and preserve the organ for movement and transplantation.

A tyical research model has found that in the micro-vascular area of the liver (where the sinusoid or capillary area is located) there are about 2 billion sinusoids or capillaries. These sinusoids are connected to tens of thousands of artery and vein branches. These sinusoids are extremely small with a modeled radius of about 0.000004 metres. The sinusoids are the end of the road of the blood vessels in the liver and transfer the oxygen and other nutrients that have come through the blood vessel system to the liver. These sinusoids contain blood and are very difficult to clean at the best of times for transplantation purposes.

The research finds the UW solution typically has a hydroxyethyl starch (HES). Studies have found that the UW solution with the HES causes erythrocyte (red blood cell) aggregation (sludging or clogging) in the sinusoids of the liver during preservation. These red blood cells are in the liver after the cleaning of the organ.

Upon transplantation and reperfusion (restoration of blood flow to the organ) ischemia injury to the cells of the sinusoids walls can occur in a percentage of patients due to remaining red blood cell aggregation thus causing problems with and even rejection of the new donor organ.

Research suggests a lower molecular weight HES will reduce this injury as it reduces the amount of remaining red blood cell aggregation.

The point of all of this scientific research is that even though most of the blood is cleaned out of the organ (liver), red blood cells (erythrocytes) from the host donor remain in the sinusoid area and are transferred with the host organ (in this case the liver) to the transplant patient.

I note liver transplants and other organ transplants except certain blood product transfusions have been approved by the leadership since 1980 and I think in some cases even promoted.

The Jehovah’s Witnesses’ leadership has a Hospital Information Service (HIS) in Canada and the United States. Staff at the HIS is constantly reviewing medical and scientific magazines and journals. Obviously these men knew about this red blood cell transfer with liver transplants and have been letting this quietly go since 1980.

Why hasn't the Watchtower leadership disclosed this information to Jehovah's Witness parents who are about to put their children in harms way of not receiving a life sustaining red blood cell transfusion?

So how is it that red blood cell transfers are not allowed by the leadership for a typical red blood cell transfusion but red blood cell transfers are allowed by the leadership for a typical liver and other organ transplant?

Where in the Bible does it say you are not allowed to have red blood cells transferred through a blood bank process but you are allowed to have donated red blood cells transferred through a donated liver or other organ transplant?

Why is it JWs who need to be saved from a serious trauma are banned by the leadership from a red blood cell transfer but JWs who need a donated liver or other organ transfer to be saved are allowed to have donated red blood cells in the organ?

I urge you to read and research this further.

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/medicine/2005/a.van.der.plaats/c1.pdf

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/medicine/2005/a.van.der.plaats/c2.pdf

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/medicine/2005/a.van.der.plaats/c3.pdf

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/medicine/2005/a.van.der.plaats/c4.pdf

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/medicine/2005/a.van.der.plaats/c5.pdf

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Another thread without research references

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/16/91866/1.ashx

• hawkaw
  • hawkaw
    hawkaw

BTTT for the lurkers

• sir82
    sir82

I imagine their defense would be something along these lines (note I am NOT endorsing their viewpoint!)

The prohibition on blood was meant to enforce a "reasonable degree" of bleeding the animal. Of course, some blood would remain in the capillaries of any meat consumed, no matter how carefully it was bled with the bronze age tools they had back then. So, while there was a ban on eating blood, it was not an absolute ban -- the idea was to pour out as much as possible.

Likewise, with organ transplants - even after getting rid of as much blood as possible, likely some will still remain. But since the best effort was made, that is "good enough", just as generalized bleeding of the animal was "good enough" in the Israelite days.

I know, I know, it's stupid, but to the average JW, it makes perfect sense.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Hawkaw:

Thank you hawkaw for this information. Great job! The HLC had to have known about this for years!

Nevada-

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hawkaw, now all that's left is to ask the doctor who performed the liver transplant from the Witness father to his Witness son that was videotaped and packaged as a part of the "Knocking" video if any of the banned blood components were exchanged as a part of the transplant.

I want to be clear that I'm glad the operation was successful and both patients recovered. My point only is the possible exchange of banned blood as a part of the television commercial for bloodless transplant treatment. A commercial the Society supported . . . featuring Witnesses who apparently have remained in good standing after their liver transplant medical treatment.

• 5go
    5go

Heck didn't someone bring up that they don't require meat to be steam free of blood. Like the kosher... whatever requires.

• Sam Beli
    Sam Beli

Hawkaw has discovered one of the reasons that the blood type of donor and recipient must be the same in liver transplantation.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks for the info, Gary.

BTTT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit