WBTS and NGO - why are they not on the list

by Jim Dee 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

http://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/

Above is the list of NGO's registered with the UN as per the UN website.

The society are not on the list, are they or arn't they NGO? If they are then why are they not on the list.

Answers on a postcard please!!

Jim

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

they are there...clear as DAY

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

Must be me, I looks at the 59 pages, then I opened them up and did a word search for

Watchtower
    Bible
    Students

and still couldn't find them, what are they registered as - and what poge?

Jim

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

see your mail...Watchtower Bible and Tract Society

• Liquidizer
    Liquidizer

Go to the following UN page at http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/ngodir.htm and look behind the link ''NGOs listed alphabetically'' and scroll to W... there it is.

L.

This is the noise that keeps me awake
    My head explodes
    And my body aches

-Garbage

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

Yes, they are on the list - its unbelievable - the criteria is detailed on the UN web page and is as follows:-

---------------------------------------------------
    What are the Criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI?"
    Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those which:

Share the ideals of the UN Charter;

Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis;

Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media.

"What is the procedure for NGOs to become associated with DPI"?
    An NGO that meets the established criteria should send an official letter from its headquarters to the Chief of the NGO Section, Department of Public Information, expressing interest in association with DPI. The letter should state the reasons why the organization seeks such association and should briefly describe its information programmes. This letter should be accompanied by at least six samples of recent information materials produced by the applying organization. Letters of reference from UN Departments, UN Programmes and Specialized Agencies, and/or UN Information Centres and Services (UNICs and UNISs) will greatly enhance consideration of the application.
    ----------------------------
    Does the sin stack any higher?

Jim

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Jim,

The first database list you went into are the NGO's that ONLY have status with the Econmic and Social Council.

Watchtower is different. It is an "asociate" with the UN's Department of Public Relations. It does not have any status with ESC.

The Watchtower is in the database of all NGO's that associate with the United Nations as shown above.

Hope this helps clarify the issue.

hawk

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Jim Dee,

thnaks for your question.

I'm pleased that you did find the WTBS listed!

You worried me ...for a short moment.

(Thanks to the others who helped you on you
    your way ...to the land of Oz )

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

---------------------------------------------------
    What are the Criteria for NGOs to become associated with DPI?"
    Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those which:

a.) Share the ideals of the UN Charter;

I guess it depends on your definition of "ideals".. I wonder if they learned from Clinton, or if Clinton learned from them.. Oh, nevermind, Clinton is much younger and less experienced.. I guess Clinton learned from them :-)

b.) Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis;

I think this is true?

c.) Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community;

They have a demonstrated interest in UN issues.. They think that everything the UN does is a signal of the "end coming".. That's a demonstrated interest, no?

d.) Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media.

See c above... If the 'end is coming' we better tell you about it... We have a committment to tell you about it!!! After all, how can we make a 'non-profit' if we don't publish it, and tell you about it :-)

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

For anyone who hasn't seen the list the links on the tis thread are very good. The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York is clearly listed among other friends including FRIENDS OF THE UNITED NATIONS.

See other religious type affiliations:

AMERICAN JEWISH CONGRESS
    ANGLICAN CONSULTATIVE COUNCIL
    AMERICAN BAPTIST CHURCHES-USA NATIONAL MINISTRIES
    CATHOLIC INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION OFFICE
    CATHOLIC RELIEF SERVICES
    GREEK ORTHODOX ARCHDIOCESE OF AMERICA
    UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, GENERAL BOARD OF CHURCH AND SOCIETY

There's no escaping the fact that the WTS has joined up in league with other religious groups not matter what their excuse. If, subsequently, they get the boot and claim "persecution" it will have to be done in the KHs only as to claim in print is likely to cause more trouble for them. I don't think the members are going to buy into persecution when it will have been self-induced.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit