The Watchtower—Logically Wrong But Emotionally Right?

by The wanderer 25 Replies latest jw friends

• sspo
    sspo

You cannot go by emotions or feelings that you have god's spirit or "feel it".

You can talk to any individual in any religion that truly beleives it and each one of them will testify to the power of the holy spirit and miracles that they have seen in their own personal lives.

We all have gone door to door or talked to family members that are Catholic or born again or baptist and you hear the same story on how a Saint, or Jesus or God was with them, in their lives and how they could feel his blessing.

So are the ones blowing themselves up and feeling God's spirit and blessing when they're successful in killing innocent people. The atheist also feels connected with some forces out there.

So my good friend, forget your feelings, go by the fact that the watchtower is not any better than any other religion.

31 years in it and finally realize it's one of the worst because of what DF doctrine- blood issue and much more.

• bernadette
    bernadette

Maybe reason on the fact that the wts is emotionally damaging - for instance

guilt

fear

anxiety over not being able to keep up

boredom over all the repitition

cognitive dissonance

I think there are more but can't think of any at the moment.

bernadette

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Maybe God's Spirit is upon him, trying to wake him up to what a mess he is in, opening his eyes so as not to be deceived. Now, he has to acknowledge it truthfully to himself and get out of that Organization. Run for your life!

Outaservice

• blondie
    blondie

How could one not get emotionally involved when they find out that the WTS policies protect pedophiles and don't protect the victims? And it continues as well. How could anyone with a child that could be at risk not get emotionally involved? How could anyone who sees the hypocrisy of the WTS when it comes to blood transfusions, saying that blood fractions made from stored blood are a "conscience" matter then point to the Bible saying that blood must be poured out and not stored, not even their own blood? Where is the love in these situations? How could one not be repugnant, or fear what other dangerous lies are part of the WTS?

Blondie (emotionally involved and out of a dangerous organization)

• Mary
    Mary
    How would you reason with a man that logically knows the Watchtower is deceptive but still emotionally “supports” it because of his experiences while in the organization?

I've done that with my Dub sister. She knows that alot of their doctrines are a crock, but she still goes because she feels it gives her "a good way of life" and she thinks it's the only way to worship Jehovah. It's the emotional aspect that kills you when you discover it's not 'the Truth', and some people just don't want to go there.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think the key to understanding his situation is that God's spirit was with him because of what he was doing and not because of him being with the dubs. He would have felt the same had he been with and worsdhipped with the catholics for example. The Spirit doesn't care about organisations but rather about individuals. It's not what org you are in but what you are doing.

• Satanus
    Satanus

As some have commented, it's a tough fight w emotions involved. Maybe ask him at different times how he feels; for example, does he feel depressed, guilty, pain, uselessness, fear, pressure, stress? If he has emotions like those, then perhaps ask him why that would be. If the wt was right on the emotional level, he should be a happy camper most of the time, happier than the average joe.

A serious jw is a bit like a person on an addictive drug; they use it to get away from another problem, but it gives them a new set of problems. They can never truly be themselves.

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

I live with an emotional Witness. You show them the way out the same way they came in. What emotional needs is the society satisfying? Find alternates.

I find the society to be emotionally damaging, overall. They teach their members to defer hope, to react out of fear, to mistrust their own judgement. They do not allow a dignified exit. They create fearful dependents, in my opinion.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Arguing logically or scripturally won't get you anywhere. It is fear that keeps them there - an emotion

Isay that because the WTS had indoctrinated so much fear intp its members that you won't get anywhere until you help them get past those fears

• Fear that maybe they are right
    • fear of not getting God's approval
    • fear of losing family
    • fear of losong all their friends
    • fear of never finding another replacement for their faith

Now If you deal with those fear as well as what damage it does to their stress levels to stay, fear they are actually hurting themselves I think you have a better chance of helping them out

• restrangled
    restrangled

Wanderer,

I think that you can reasonably assume that those newly indoctrinated JW's experience a time whereby eveything the WTS says and does is golden. This is not unique only to JW's. After settling into the religion however, everyone has to have doubts about one thing or another. When someone acknowledges the false doctrines. etc... yet chooses to follow the WTS and their policies, then I don't think they are being controlled by the "cult". They are following the WTS in spite of the fact that they are a cult. That is a choice. Your friend has made a choice, just as you have made a choice.

r's hubby (about to be blasted)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit