Jehovah's Witnesses and Jimmy Swaggart

by Lady Lee 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

A website I had not seen before tells the story and provides the scans of the court case

http://www.bibletopics.com/biblestudy/84.htm

More of the scans are on page 2 so click the link at the bottom of the page

From The Watchtower - May 15, 1960, page 295: "The Scriptures justify the 'war strategy' of hiding true facts from the enemy."

Few Jehovah's Witnesses know the truth about The Watchtower Society and Jimmy Swaggart's day in court.

Why did the Watchtower Society change its literature distribution program in 1990, eliminating set prices for literature items? JWs believe the Governing Body instituted a "simplified" arrangement. Few know the change really took place because Jimmy Swaggart lost his case in court. In a February 21, 1990 letter to congregations, the Society explained the new policy this way:

By adopting a method of literature distribution based completely on donation, Jehovah's people are able to greatly simplify our Bible education work and separate ourselves from those who commercialize religion.

However, this is what really happened:

• Early 1980 State of California informs Jimmy Swaggart Ministries that tax is due for religious books and tapes sold in the state since 1974. Swaggart eventually pays the tax--$183,000.00--but sues for a refund. The case begins moving toward the U.S. Supreme Court.

• February, 1989 U.S. Supreme Court rules it is illegal for Texas (and 14 other states) to exempt religious books from sales tax. Some states had been taxing religious books all along.

• Summer, 1989 WT Society gives away "free" books released at U.S. conventions. Witnesses are instructed to place donations in contribution boxes to cover the cost.

• June 22, 1989 Watchtower Society, files amicus curiae ("friend of the court") brief with U.S. Supreme Court in Jimmy Swaggart case. Others filing similar briefs include National Council of Churches and Society for Krishna Consciousness.

• January 17, 1990 U.S. Supreme Court rules against Jimmy Swaggart Ministries, declaring that the sales tax must be paid.

• February 9, 1990 WT Society writes letter to congregations announcing that literature will no longer be sold at Kingdom Hall and no price will be set in door-to-door distribution.

• February 25, 1990 February 9th letter from Society is read at Sunday meetings of Jehovah's Witnesses across the United States.

• March 1, 1990 New policy of distributing literature without naming a price goes into effect.

• The March 15, 1990, WATCHTOWER magazine and March 22nd AWAKE!--printed earlier--still say "25 cents (U.S.) a copy" and "$5.00 (U.S.) per year." The April 1, 1990, Watchtower no longer carries a price.

• March 11, 1990 Announcement is made at Kingdom Halls in the U.S. that food will be available at no cost, on a freewill donation basis, at JW conventions.

Since many JWs refuse to believe the Society actually filed a legal brief in Jimmy Swaggart's case, we reproduce pages here as evidence.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    In a February 21, 1990 letter to congregations, the Society explained the new policy this way: By adopting a method of literature distribution based completely on donation, Jehovah's people are able to greatly simplify our Bible education work and separate ourselves from those who commercialize religion.

I remember the meeting where they read this above letter. It was a "special announcement". So I guess they were not really separate from the commercialized religions before??

• June 22, 1989 Watchtower Society, files amicus curiae ("friend of the court") brief with U.S. Supreme Court in Jimmy Swaggart case. Others filing similar briefs include National Council of Churches and Society for Krishna Consciousness.

• January 17, 1990 U.S. Supreme Court rules against Jimmy Swaggart Ministries, declaring that the sales tax must be paid.

I thought Jehovah ALWAYS gave his Witnesses ultimate victory in the Supreme Court. In 1990 the Supreme Court hit them where it hurts, and this has forced unwanted changes on them. They spinned it as "we simplified things", meaning that Jehovah's way was too complicated before? (I thought Jehovah himself ran the earthly organization, using the Governing Body. I guess "Jehovah" had to bend to the US Supreme Court!)
  • mouthy
    mouthy

Yes they were friends of the court.... Backed Jimmy up. HYPOCRITES!!!!I remember that

• undercover
    undercover

Thanks LL...

Page 5, 2nd paragraph:

As might be expected, the occasional placement of magazines and pamphlets for contributions of 25(cents) or 30(cents), or of books for a dollar, does not generate much income, especially when one considers that each volunteer minister of Jehovah's Witnesses expends his own resources as far as time, gasoline, auto insurance and so forth when engaged in the ministry. Watchtower represents to this Court that the vast majority if not all Jehovah's Witnesses operate at a loss if their activities are measured purely from a monetary standpoint. But this 'loss' is gladly and enthusiastically incurred because of the greater gain and satisfaction derived from being obedient to God's will and bringing a life-saving message to others.*

*footnote: Although the appellant in Follett "obtained his living from the money received; he had no other source of income," 321 U.S. at 574, Watchtower is unaware of any Witness minister who can do so today. The costs of distribution, including personal time and transportation, greatly exceed the small contributions received by the Witness minister. For example, the average Witness minister in California spends 9.9 hours a month in the ministry, leaving 6.1 magazines and 0.3 books with interested persons during the month. Even if one assumes that a contribution is received for each piece of literature placed, the average gross contribution from ministerial activities would be less than $1.85 per month for each Witness minister.

A couple of thoughts...

The WTS assumes that every JW "gladly and enthusiastically" takes a loss because of the satisfaction of sharing the message to others. But yet the WTS incurs no loss in printing and 'selling' the publications. From this brief, it's apparent that they aren't "gladly and enthusiastically" looking forward to taking any kind of loss in doing so either. I find it hypocritical that they can laud how the average JW doesn't mind taking a loss to forward the work, but yet they're going to take the side of a false minister of Christendom so that they don't have to lose any more money than they have to.

There is a dishonesty in this brief in that they make it look like that the average 'minister' would be the one feeling the brunt of any tax levied. They break it down to how much each JW would 'make' in contributions. What they don't share is that all of these publications are paid for up front, thus they already have their money(at the time this was written). A little more math shows that if each one of the 132,000 JWs in California(the number mentioned on page one of the brief) paid an average of $1.85 to the WTS for literature picked up for distributing (not to mention the contributions taken and turned in after the literature was already paid for), this would equal $244,200 of earnings for the WTS.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

good points Gopher and undercover

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane
    Excellent history lesson...
  • wifibandit
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Friend of the court"...

...that still makes me laugh my ass off.

• Chook
    Chook

In life it's always the money, all best investigations follow ten money .

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I think this should be bumped for newbies .

If your not familiar with Jimmy Swaggart and his TV/Radio Evangelism he has built a Dynasty of a Religious Empire since beginning full time Evangelism only since 1955 that reaches out all over the USA New Zealand and Australia .

Look up his achievements ( Empire Building) on the internet you will have to admit it`s impressive in the short time he has been operating.

So why would the WTB&TS become a "Friend Of The Court" in a court case against Jimmy Swaggart defending his position ?

Wasn`t / isn`t he a part of "Babylon The Great" false religion ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit