My Bethel Experience final chapter

by new boy 39 Replies latest jw friends

• new boy
    new boy

There were other people who either killed themselfs or tried to kill themselfs while they were at "the house of God."

One person who did kill himself was Richard Wheelock, Press Room Overseer ......He jumped out of a window at the Watchtower farm one day.......It seemed, he was never quite the same after his wife "Willy" died..She seemed to be the only one that he could relate to.......Which would make sence.....because he sure couldn't relate to any of us in the press room..........He would come over to our press and say "Here is the work... get in out".......then just walk away.......He was not the type of person you would really want to talk to anyway......but wouldn't it be nice if just now and then, like every year or two, they might ask you how you were doing?.........You Laugh.......but its TRUE......I asked a friend of mind who was the Press Operator of Press # 6 which at the time was one of the three biggest presses at Bethel. He had been in the press room for 4 full years. He told me, that "Brother" Wheelock never once came over to ask him, how he or his family was doing, in 4 years!........I didn't care much for Mr.Wheelock......he was never really a "brother" to me.

The truth is NONE of my Overseers asked me either! Not in the Lanudry, Bindery, Elevator, or the Pressroom. Now I'm sure there were some nice overseers there that did........but I don't know who the were. Even if you worked in a "worldly factory".......I'm sure someone would come over and see how you were doing ever now and then.........But again they would care if you stayed or not.......

Oh, they did care about us this one time.......I get this call to come to the bethel office immediately...We were short handed at the time in the factory, put I finally got a replacement for me.......I show up at the Bethel office with my roommate Jack Sutton. Our old friends Bob Lang and Curtis Johnson are there. Curtis starts telling us what a "reproach to the organization" our room is, with dirty dishes in the pantry and junk under the beds........We listen to him for about 10 mins..........That was it!......We did something that you would NEVER do at Bethel...........We defended ourselfs.......we had had enough, if they wanted to kick us out because are rooms were a mess.......so be it, we didn't care anymore....We told Curtis that if he had a problem with our room why didn't he just come to us like a brother would have, has it says at Matt.18:15. That we Bethelites were hanging on by a thread...........and we tired of all this "Nit picking" and that "the whole world was coming apart........and all YOU people cared about was if are rooms are clean enough"................They just set there with there mouths open, with a look of how dare you talk to US that way ...............That was it, time to pack our bags............but nothing happen......The only reason they didn't kick us out was because I think they were short handed at the time.

It seems everyone in the organization is hung up on a"position"......."Oh this is brother SO and SO he is a Gilead student.......or he is a Bethelite.........or he is a Pioneer........or he is and Elder........or they are in the Service Department...........or He knows someone that knows someone who was in the Writing Department .................They say we are all equal............BULL SHIT........There are more class disdinctions in the organization then in the U.S. Army.......and you see it in all, in the "house of God" up close.......If you like politics...........you'll fit right in.

A friend of mine from the Press room wanted to leave Bethel before his time was up.......I told him "Ted just leave.......what can they do to you?"......He said "they won't let me pioneer, for 6 months"......."Oh really?" I said......."Do you mean they won't let you go out in field service?"......."No they will" he said....."So they won't let you go in service for a 100 hours a month?"........."NO they will" he said......"Oh" I said "So you can't be CALLED a pioneer"...........God, don't we just love those titles?

There is no fanfare when you leave...........Someone buys a 3 dallor box of icecream at lunch for the whole table and you get a "good by" card from everyone. The tradition in the press room is they make a hand made card with some jokes about you in it and give it to you.........you shake a few hands and you just leave.No "thanks for the 4 years".........I wanted more, I wanted someone in a poistion of power to tell me something.......Like what the hell was this all about...........So I went to Bob Wallen, he was Knorrs personal secretary at the time, and he had been one of my table heads in the lower dining room I really liked Bob..........I said "Bob what was this all about?.............I mean there are somethings going on here that are just not right!".......He said "I know what you mean...........I look at these poor brothers in the bindery.........and I think that there but for the grace of God goes me...........and Keith, I have told the Powers that be, (he motioned into Knorrs office) that we need to make a FEW changes here..........You, can help us by going back home and telling them how wonderful it is here!"........."What".....I said...Yes he said ...............There is just a year left until 1975 and we really need the help here......So go back home and tell them how great it is here..............or if you can't say anything good about the place......please just keep your month shut............"

It reminded me of the movie "Catch 22" where they are trying to kill him in the whole movie and then at the end, they tell him he call leave but he must tell them that them that he "likes them"

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.

• TheMan
    TheMan

The final chapter? Noooooooo!

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

So Wheelock killed himself? I've heard so much about that guy. Sad that someone so high up couldn't take it anymore. And all of these stories have been an excellent warning to anyone thinking of joining Bethel.

And the saga is over!

• metatron
    metatron

Perhaps the only thing you left out was the fact that much of the organization's expansion was fueled

by involuntary, slave labor. During the Vietnam war, all young men had the DRAFT to contend

with. If you refused to be inducted into the Army, you go to prison. Bethelites had draft deferments

that could be lifted if they got kicked out of Bethel - and also if they weren't pioneers.

The Society cruelly used this leverage to do whatever it wanted with brothers because the

alternative was losing your deferred status and spending years in prison.

I will never forget what they did to us.

metatron

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Well new boy,

I guess all good things have to come to an end, and I have enjoyed reading
    your experiences, so thankyou very much. All would-be bethelites should
    read your stories, they would probably have second thoughts about signing
    up.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

double post

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Thanks newboy for sharing these experiences. It's been interesting.

tall penguin

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

Well New boy,

I really enjoyed and looked forward to your bethel experiences. Thanks for sharing

• VM44
    VM44

Thank you new boy for posting your experiences while at Bethel.

They are informative and provide important insight as to what goes on there.

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

This might be of interest to some people.

Steve McRoberts found a way to get them to ASK him to leave Bethel! He just asked some questions about Watchtower doctrines. It appears that is not appreciated at Bethel! --VM44

What Happens When A Bethelite Questions the Governing Body

http://www.freeminds.org/bethel/smcroberts.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit