watchtower artwork

by johnjaspers 6 Replies latest jw friends

• johnjaspers
    johnjaspers

Hey all...

I am new here and we can talk about that later, but I have a question that you may be able to help me with. Several years ago, there were a couple of sites that had artwork from the Watchtower and Awake magazines, as well as other org. publications. I remembered quite a few of them from my childhood and was shocked to realize how graphic and manipulative they were. However, since then, I have noticed that all those sites are gone, and finding any images on-line from the publications is almost impossible. Does anyone know if this is something the org. did, or if the sites have just moved? There are some people I would like to show the pics to. Thanks for any info.

• juni
    juni

Welcome JohnJaspers to the forum.

I don't have an answer for you; I'm sorry. But someone will I'm sure have some help for you.

Juni

• Rooster
    Rooster

http://www.collegehumor.com/ you can find almost everything you need here.

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

John,

Are you talking about stories suggesting the pictures had some suggestive, demonic images hidden within them? There is a story about that, but I don't know if any of it is true. Some said these images were sneaked into the lit by rebellious members at Bethel, but were later corrected. I have no idea if there's any truth to this at all.

If you do a search on Google for this all kinds of stuff comes up. You can find new sites on your own this way. You can also type in the exact web adress at Google and see if they have it stored in their cache. If anything comes up when you enter it, but the site isn't there when you click on the link, then look on the Google page again and see if the word "cache" appears just above the entry. If it's clickable, do so, and it will pull whatever it has stored for the site. But you might want to save to your hard drive since you never know if they'll keep it indefinitely.

IsaacJ

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear JohnJaspers,

WELCOME to the forum!!!!! Are you refering to subliminal art?? Google it, and you will find what you are looking for I am sure.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Threestars
    Threestars

I don't remember where I got it but I have the scary purple picture of armageddon from the old Paradise book on my hard drive--the one that traumatized so many kids from the fifties and sixties.

• johnjaspers
    johnjaspers

Thanks to all for the links and advice. I am not looking for the "subliminal" ones. I have seen those (they are always the same) and as fun as it may be to think the society is involved in some "subliminal conspiracy" to corrupt our minds with hidden demonic images, I just don't see it. That seems to be more of a "face on Mars" effect.

No..What I am looking for, and find far more frightening, are the honest depictions of all those sinners being destroyed. Buildings in flames, dogs falling into chasms, people fleeing in abject terror, while JW's stand around with beaming smiles on their faces. The way those pictures were used in our weekly studies and the comments that were always made about them, left a very distint and fearful impression on me as a child. I am sure the same kind of programming has affected many others.

What I found interesting, was that when I looked at these pictures again, many years later after leaving the org., I was amazed at how cruel and almost heavy handed they came across.

A part of the reason I revisit my past experiences of when I was a very active JW is that I am trying to figure out exactly what it was that appealed to me, and how I could have accepted some of what I now see in a different light.

Thanks again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit