What's the scam?

by Jewel 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jewel
    Jewel

OK-so here's the situation in brief--NOTE: I was a member of this congregation for all of my teen years, but haven't been to a meeting in years...

This takes place in a smallish city in Iowa. There are two congregations-north and south units. Both have nice, paid-for King. Halls that have been in service for decades. The size of both congregations has remained relatively stable-numbers seem to be down slightly. They are suddenly inspired by "Jehovah's Will" to sell them both and build one new one for both congs to share. The reasons for this given to the congregations don't really make much sense, but of course the rank and file vote the way Jehovah wants them to--especially since the vote is one of those secret raise-your-hands-if-you-want-to-do-Jehovah's-will-like-the-elders-are-pushing deals.

This involves taking out a mortgage to buy the land (from a brother-but I'm sure he gave them a really good deal...) and, I'm assuming, another for the actual building. They have to be out of their KH (one is already sold) by March1 and the new hall won't be ready to use at least until Jan 2008. In the meantime, both congs are going to share a kingdom hall with a congregation in another town about 45 mins. away. Trips to be made twice a week. For at least 10 months.

Like I said, makes no logical sense. My mother (78yo) is distraught about the whole thing and bends my ear about it. I'm pretty cynical about this whole deal, but that's NOTHING to how cynical I am about WTBTS in general so I'm not exactly the place to go for comfort. I keep thinking that New York has to be making money on this somehow and am curious about the whole thing. Not going to share that part with my mother because she clings to her faith like a drowning person....

Any insights??

Jewel

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The WTS makes money by charging interest for the loan to build the new KH and also collects at least part of the money resulting from the sale of the other two KHs. The new KH is then incorporated and in the charter of incorporation the KH will be made the property of the WTS in the event that the congregation no longer possesses the KH.

It is standard operating procedure for all new KHs.

The WTS gets to collect interest on the loan, gets a cut from the sale of the old KHs and then, indirectly, the KH is handed to the WTS free of charge and tax free. The publishers will think it is a "privilege" to pay for a building, pay interest and then hand it over the the WTS. For the WTS, that's one hell of a deal!

Obviously Jehover's will.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I know that in some developed countries the WTS is doing extensive remodeling and renovations to KHs that are still in very good condition. The chairs and lighting fixtures are modest and functional. Some of these KHs are only 20 years old. Why? Shoddy workmanship? Not appealing to the eye?

I can understand the need for things to be renewed because of wear and tear, such as the carpet or wallpaper. By why put in new doors?

Probably to keep up the value of the property/building.

In my opinion, the money can go to countries where there aren't ANY KHs.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously be WTS standards)

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I could be wrong but I think the older, established hall may belong to the congregation. The new one, as Elsewhere stated, will actually belong to the WTS.

It's a money-making, real-estate venture for the Watchtower corporation.

-Aude.

• merfi
    merfi

Where in Iowa??

• Jewel
    Jewel

So, the WTS holds the mortgages?? Mom had said something about the Circuit Over. putting pressure on the congregations to do this...that makes the whole thing make a little more sense. God moves in financial ways...

We're in far eastern Iowa...in the middle. Right about where the Mississippi makes that big curve...

Jewel

• merfi
    merfi

I was just curious as I'm in Iowa also. On the other side of the state from you, though. NW corner. Three counties over, three down.

And yeah, this mortgage thru the WTS is a win-win thing for them. Fleecers.

~merfi

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

So for the service meeting that ends at 9:30, that means the Bros and their young children will get home at about oh 11ish on a school night?

The Elders and their families even later still.

Mind you, it would have cost nothing extra to wait until the new hall was completed before selling the old one, but what better way to show Jehovah that we really love him that to spend an extra three hours driving to meetings per week, right?

• Jewel
    Jewel

Yeah...and my mom-who's elderly and been faithful for years has to drive that in all kinds of weather. I can't figure the financial thing, really. Mom has told me off and on over the last few years how tight money has been for the congregation...asking for extra donations so they can pay bills. They have a big elderly population who's on a fixed income. Where're the extra donations to pay the mortgage going to come from? Seems like you can only squeeze so much blood out of those turnips...but that's never been a concern in NY...

Jewel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit