Scriptural Proof/Support for the "New Light" doctrine?

by brunnhilde 7 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

So I've been thinking a lot about the whole New Light thing - how exactly is that justified in the Bible by the dubs? I can't remember anything other than the scripture they quote but there has to be more to it than that! If I'm having a total braincramp, sorry!

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Brunn,

Here is what the Insight Book Vol. 2 under Light says:

Jehovah is "the Father of the celestial lights." (Jas 1:17) Not only is he the "Giver of the sun for light by day, the statutes of the moon and the stars for light by night" (Jer 31:35) but he is also the Source of all spiritual enlightenment. (2Co 4:6) His law, judicial decisions, and word are a light to those allowing themselves to be guided by them. (Ps 43:3; 119:105; Pr 6:23; Isa 51:4) The psalmist declared: "By light from you we can see light." (Ps 36:9; compare Ps 27:1; 43:3.) Just as the light of the sun continues to get brighter from dawn until "the day is firmly established," so the path of the righteous ones, illuminated by godly wisdom, gets lighter and lighter. (Pr 4:18) To follow the course that Jehovah outlines is to walk in his light. (Isa 2:3-5) On the other hand, when a person looks at things in an impure way or with evil design, he is in great spiritual darkness. As Jesus put it: "If your eye is wicked, your whole body will be dark. If in reality the light that is in you is darkness, how great that darkness is!"—Mt 6:23; compare De 15:9; 28:54-57; Pr 28:22; 2Pe 2:14.

Watchtower 1987 5/15- Prize Wisdom:

Prize

Wisdom

Read

Proverbs3:1–4:27. To have good insight, "trust in Jehovah with all your heart." Happiness is enjoyed by those esteeming wisdom highly. Their path is like an ever-brightening light, but they need to safeguard the heart.

· 4:18—How does ‘the path of the righteous’ get lighter?

The sun’s light gets brighter from dawn until "the day is firmly established." Similarly, spiritual light gets brighter for Jehovah’s people as time goes on. As we draw much closer to events, our understanding of the outworking of Jehovah’s purposes becomes clearer. Divine prophecies open up to us as God’s holy spirit sheds light upon them, and as they are fulfilled in world events or in the experiences of Jehovah’s people. Thus their ‘path gets lighter and lighter.’

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Zico
    Zico

"But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established." Proverbs 4:18

I'm pretty sure that's it.

Of course, this scripture doesn't even mention the word 'Truth' or give any indication that it's about development of doctrine.

• zack
    zack

I believe that if you hurry and get to Orlando, Florida before March 21st, you can get a discounted entry into the

Magic Kingdom at Disney World. The JW foundation of its theology may be found there. I certainly have not found it

in the Bible.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

That's it? That is the entire basis for their reasoning???? That is really ALL THERE IS TO IT?????? Oh my GOD!! I can't believe I bought into ALL THAT CRAZY **** for all that time and that is IT?!?!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

They do use Proverbs 4:18 as one of their"proof" texts for the new light doctrine, in fact the main one if I remember correctly. As usual, where the wts is concerned, it's quoted out of context. The whole passage, from verse 14, reads

14 Into the path of the wicked ones do not enter, and do not walk straight on into the way of the bad ones. 15 Shun it, do not pass along by it; turn aside from it, and pass along. 16 For they do not sleep unless they do badness, and their sleep has been snatched away unless they cause someone to stumble. 17 For they have fed themselves with the bread of wickedness, and the wine of acts of violence is what they drink. 18 But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established. 19 The way of the wicked ones is like the gloom; they have not known at what they keep stumbling

It's quite clearly talking about the two paths someone might choose, and has nothing whatsoever to do with new light on scriptural understanding.

• garybuss
    garybuss

The Watch Tower Society gets authority for one book they edited and published from another book they edited and published. Can ya see anything wrong with that picture?

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The light gets brighter when you move toward it - it's the same light

"New light" is about 'a different light' - the old light didn't get brighter

You can imagine that you can see a light when your eyes are closed - but it's hard to keep it up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit