JW Terminology

by KW13 18 Replies latest jw friends

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

One that has always annoyed me is the word "research", which means read only Watchtower Publications and Books all the Research has been for you in there. That comment was heard from the Circuit Overseer today, went with wife just to see if anything new is out.

• praiseband
    praiseband

As a non, and never-been JW, but trying to become familiar with beliefs, practices, etc. so I can have an idea of the background of some of my family members, the worst is "this system of things". Just stop and count sometime how many times it is used in any publication!! It is so repetitive, so...arrogant sounding, because even JW's seem to think they're not a part of it, so annoying!! What system - a "system" implies a plan, an intelligence behind it, a sort of blueprint or regulated order to follow. And just what does "things" mean. It sounds so unintelligent, as if no one could quite think of the correct word so they just said "things". Is it a noun or a verb? I really don't like it. Praise

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

"The Friends"-Your fellow drones. Membership not available for Worldy Folk.

"Glean"-I really hate this one. "What did you glean from today's public Talk?"

"Muff 'N'Egg"- A piss-poor facsimile of an Egg McMuffin once served at District Conventions that you could purchase using food tickets.

"Winnow"-This one just sounds ugly coming out of your mouth. Ugh.

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Publisher - unpaid worker

Spiritual Bounty - Anything the society publishs

Field Service - activity that the unpaid workers work in

The Ministry - see field service

Bible trained conscience - guilt trip to make a witness choose what the society desires but cannot enforce, ie pioneering, whether to go to university etc

• Do Not Call
    Do Not Call

I hated the way they referred to family as 'fleshly'.

"My 'fleshly' sister/brother" as opposed to spiritual sister/brother.

It sounds horrible!

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Bad Association = anybody outside of the Org.

• done4good
    done4good

"Stream of Time" -WTF???

• KW13
    KW13

Faithful & Discreet Slave - The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, who represent the Kingdom of God on earth and carry out his will until the end. Many Witnesses forget or don't know that Charles Taze Russell was the first Faithful and Discreet Slave, so when was the official switch made?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

When I was a kid and I use to hear my mom talking about going out in service to RV's, I use to think she was going to a mobile home park, where or a place where all the Campers were! ha ha ha

I hate that call jerks Elders like they are all old wise men from a village

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit