Question for anyone who is knowledgeable about construction costs

by DanTheMan 11 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

My house has a carport that is about 10' wide or so, just a one car deal. As you can see in the pics below, the carport has a flat roof - a flat roof that leaks water unfortunately, and has leaked for as long as I've had the house (5 years). The roof is covered with rubber, but somewhere water gets through. I'm not sure how exactly how much gets through, but I think it is fairly substantial.

I'm thinking that the wood underneath the rubber may be rotted beyond salvaging, so I may need to have the whole thing torn down and replaced. However I have no idea what the cost of such a project would be. Does anybody have a ballpark guesstimation?

my house 2

This view is from underneath. The discoloration here is the result of water picking up the tar substance that I tried to seal the roof with 3 years ago.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Lose the carport, lose the car, and ride a horse (or, considering the snow level, maybe a penguin) to work. LOL

Give me a call, eh?

Craig

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks a million for the phone convo onacruse, my anxiety over this situation is greatly reduced.

Will be in touch as things develop.

• rekless
    rekless

i was a license ca. contractor,with that said and 2 bucks

i can buy a cup of coffee.

check along the edge where the roof id attached to the

house, there should be metal flashing if not water is seeping

under the roof sheathing and running down rafters and puddling

in a low area of the ceiling

i would check from thr inside first. cut a hole close to the wall in the

ceiling get a flaslight and look where the roof is attached to house.

during warm weather you can take a hose and run water next to house

then use flash light and check ...go from there

dan

• uninformed
    uninformed

your opening question re the price to replace is fairly general, no specific dimensions, "about 10 feet" What about length? 25 feet?

A carport is not an expensive or difficult thing to build. If you tore it down, there is a chance you could have it built back for $3-4 thousand, max, depending on who you get and where you live. Check with several local contractors for a free estimate, to fix or replace. You may save a bunch by tearing out the ceiling so they can see what they need to see.

However, if the roof leaks, you could tear out the bottom (ceiling) and start looking at the condition of the lumber and structure. If it leaks all over, tear it all out. If it leaks just in an area or two, then, find the leak, repair it, and install a new ceiling. I would also consider putting a new roof on what you have. Rubber is good, but it should be installed over the edges of the structure so that it can be waterproofed.

U

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks rekless and uniformed.

no specific dimensions, "about 10 feet" What about length? 25 feet?

That's about exactly right, and your estimate of $3-4k is about 1k less than what onacruse and I discussed, and anything in that range is fine by me. I was just afraid that I might be looking at $10k or more. I could do that but it would really hurt.

• Amazing
    Amazing

It depends on how much damage, where you live, and whether you hire out the work, or do it yourself. I would tear off the carport roof material, and strip out the underneath ceiling board and examine the wood. Assuming your carport is totally rotted, you can have one built for about $1,500 to $2,000 in the Chicago area. It will be higher in some areas and lower in others. I estimate that the materials are about $500 to $800 at most. The rest is labor. If you are handy, and shop around for materials, you can do it yourself for about $500 to $600. I am basing this on some of my own work on similar size projects (not carports) and on what I see done in my real estate activity, such as when someone rebuilds a deck or patio roof to add some value to their homes.

Jim Whitney

• onacruse
    onacruse

Please be aware that Jim is an engineer...you can never trust an engineer's estimates!

LOL

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

20 dollars per squrae foot would be about normal - rubber is ok but water can seep under rubber if there is lack of an adhesive bond caused by years of heating/cooling/wet/dry cycle causing expansion and contraction and thus delamination

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

cheaper to strip off - check wood is sound - then caot with bituminous/asphalt type product - better stiil to put a slight (1 in 60 ) slope to drain water away - that can be done for about 8 dollars per square foot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit