Do you know what your last name means and where it comes from . . .?

by Justahuman24 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

hmmm.....I did a little research after I saw this thread and found out that my surname allegedly originated with some Lords of the manor over in Britain. It very obviously means "maker of coins" which could regard money or, if one wanted to look at it another way, "one who coins words."

Frannie

EDITED TO ADD: I still put my pants on one leg at a time just like everybody else, whether I'm better or worse than those from whom I originated or those with whom I associate.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Hmmm. . . I wish I knew what my last name means . . . maybe it means, "child of moronic jehobos."

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My last name is Irish, we are from the N. coast area of Donegal and it means "Wicked" I love that:)

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

13th Century, Scotland meaning 'dowry'

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I have been perusing up and down this thread for the reply I made last night, and getting paranoid that I had violated a forum rule (13. Posting links which may have some relevance to genealogy, giving Americans some claim to descend from Royalty (they never descend from pig farmers, do they?))

But it turns out there are two threads. PHEW.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/129335/1.ashx

• voltaire
    voltaire

My name is German for a barnyard animal, guess my ancestors were farmers, no doubt groveling before the ancestors of the more royal among us here on this board.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

My family's name means "from the city of Ulm", German. The ones I'm related to were stone cutters, masons, quarrymen.

• Backed away
    Backed away

Being Greek, my last name was shortened when my Grandparents came to the US many years ago.

My last name means Priest, talk about something that's farthest from the truth! Apparently a long time ago their was a priest in my family which used that title in the name as well as last name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit