Need some educating on this one

by hambeak 10 Replies latest jw friends

• hambeak
    hambeak

As some of you know I am now managing a new shop ( I managed this place for 3 years in the past)

It is owned by a fellow from Ethiopia and he and I get along just great and I am paid very well.

Just one problem he doesn't like Blacks. Go figure.

He has forced one guy to quit (black) and he will treat the white folks and the Mexican folks ok, but as for Nigerians and American black folks he is rather rude.

I had a meeting with him today and told him to cool it and went into witness mode about out of one man came all. I am a white guy as most of you know and am color blind.

PS he would die if he knew I am gay as he really hates us faggots

Any Ideas or suggestions?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Hmmm, how did he respond to the meeting?

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

There is a very strange relationship between blacks and most africans ( I hate to generalize.) Most africans feel superior to black americans (I think it has to do with not being enslaved, never mind the fact it was africans who sold their fellow africans and rival tribes into slavery.) His disdain for black americans, as you brought to his attention needs to be checked. If he can overcome this predudice will of course be up to him.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

"There is a very strange relationship between blacks and most africans" | Not really strange when you consider that African is neither a culturally nor ethnically monolithic place. Most Ethiopians use a Semitic language and are, on the whole, genetically distinct from West Africans. Ethiopians legends say that the Ethiopian royal family is descended from Queen Sheba and King Solomon. Queen Sheba being the Queen of Ethiopia.

• hambeak
    hambeak

I am aware of the problem of prejudice between African Americans and those from Africa emigrated to the USA.

However this guy can be bi polar with them. I have 7 employees and 3 are black and he doesn't harass them. I think some of it is related to where they live in Dallas. If they are from a poor black area he refers to them as animals and poor white folks he refers to as animals.

I tried to reason with him about this but it is no use. I need my job so I let him rant.

I run the business and even tell him what to do he works as the cashier and that is all.

His wife is an absolute sweetheart and 4 beautiful and smart kids. He doesn't even remember the 2 youngest names as only the oldest Male means anything to him. I guess it is the culture.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Sounds like a real bigot to me; I would love to see his reaction to Ethiopian jokes

I would hate to have to work with someone like that.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Could it be 'penis envy'? Just a thought.

Jeff

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Correct me if I am wrong, but I perceive that you are not really in Texas, USA.

• becca1
    becca1

You need the job so for the meantime grin and bear it. However, maybe you could be on the lookout for a new one? Working for someone you do not respect will get old after a while.

On the other hand, if the job is that good and you enjoy what you do, just try to remember that you do not have to share your bosses ideology. Maybe, in a tactful manner you could also convey this to your clients.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

It's a caste thing, like in India or even Britain. I found it interesting that Michael Caine and Roger Moore grew up in the same neighborhood but during the war Roger Moore became an officer and Michael Caine didn't, because Roger Moore had studied elocution and changed his accent to one that sounded more upper class. In India it's all about what caste you were born in. In the Virgin Islands, where I spent my childhood, blacks from the U.S. Virgin Islands looked down on blacks from the British Islands. Trinidadians, however, looked down on everybody! And when I was in Australia, I had friends from Spain -- Castile -- and they thought their way of speaking Spanish was "royal" and looked down on everyone else. Since I spoke Spanish with a Puerto Rican accent, thanks to my teachers in St. Croix, they were totally appalled and corrected my every word for a while. So when I moved to Texas and spoke Spanish to people from Mexico, they thought I was very uppity and rude with my Castilian accent.

So how does he feel about Aggies?

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit