Lord of the Rings ok but not Harry Potter

by DIM 5 Replies latest jw friends

• DIM
    DIM

My mom is a pioneer, very preachy....you know the type. She told me how demonic Harry Potter is......but she's looking forward to seeing Lord of the Rings when it comes out. Does that make any sense??

• joelbear
    joelbear

She probably just has orc fantasies.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Yes, it makes plenty of sense! It's the classic double-standard technique all jws use to justify what they want to do.

Examples:

My mother walked out of the movie "Ghost", but then picked me up and took me to see another movie with Richard Dreyfuss, about a pilot who was killed and came back from the dead to save his girlfriend's lover. Can't remember the name of it. We argued about this one in the car. Her response? "They're just different!"

My mother refused to drive my son to Kung Fu practice. Saying it was demonized. He had to walk 2 miles on a country road to get there. But she then turns around and writes an article in the local paper, all about the teacher. How great he is. Explaining all of his training in Korea. The good he's doing for the local kids. (small town-nothing to do)Unbelievable!

All my Beatles records are burned in the back yard. She watches "The Tom Jones Show", where women are throwing panties on stage. And buys all of his albums, which have some very sexual songs. When I point this out to her, she takes a steak knife, and scratches up the offending songs. Says, "Are you happy now?" Score one!

Let it never be said that the witnesses DON'T make sense!!!!!!

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• joelbear
    joelbear

That movie was called, Always, and also starred the indescribably delicious John Goodman.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Thank you, Joel. I remember now. Also Holly Hunter?? Can't remember much about the movie, since I was so angry! (And hey, I LOVE John Goodman!)

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Englishman
    Englishman

And Richard Dreyfuss.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit