to join or not

by dontknow 71 Replies latest jw experiences

• dontknow
    dontknow

Hello all,

I've had in the past studied a little about the bible with JWs but have yet decided to be baptised.

I've just read Lavenders' moving letter to her son and her love and well being for him is very obvious. I do like the bible teachings very much and to this day I'm very interested in the end of the system of things which will very soon come to fruition; I'm a very strong believer, however I must stipulate to all, in retrospect I'm not sinless.

One of the posters says that JW's ask you to do a liitle bible study with them, attend one of their meetings and when you get baptised you have to do exactly what you are instructed or else. I'm asking you all what is this or else mean? Will you be given a difficult time?

The wintnesses I've spoken with didn't come across as unpleasant people; the magazines I've read always say that JWs love their fellow man and try to help others in difficult times.

The passage in the bible that says "an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth" as I would interpret it means an appropriate just punishement should be applied for a wrong doing. Does that mean if someone physically hits me I should hit back? If this is so, then why does Jesus say you must love your enemy and also if someone slaps your cheek turn the other cheek as well. Then doesn't this mean for example if a thief enters my house to rob and/or assault me I should let him do freely as he wishes (because Jesus said you must love your enemy) and I not raise my hand or stick against him to defend myself? Can you see how confusing this is. I don't know what to think; it's seems contadictory, can someone enlighten me please?

To become a witness requires a lot of deep thought and huge lifestyle changes but some things are very vague. I don't like the fact that as I have read in various posts a JW is shunned if he/she associates with non JWs; what is one to do; not speak or have anything to do with life long friends, just end the association? I don't think the bible states that anywhere; it does state to be wary and distance yourself from wrong doers (murderers, adulterers, people involved in disorderly conduct etc, etc).

From the many posts I've read about the unpleasant experiences ex JWs have been confronted with and some still do feel the ill effects, and although I like JWs very much I would go as far as calling them my friends, the worst thing I've read to date is the horrendous break up of happy families; children being dragged through ugly divorces because some in-laws follow the teachings to the extreme, if I may say something akin to military extreme and precision which they impose on their children. What I have discussed with JWs is that Jehovah created man with a precious gift called a free will to exercise, think and do what is appropriate for him and not to have someones will imposed on him.

Can someone out there who has travelled this road provide some advice regarding the above mentioned please.

Many thanks,

dontknow

• Clam
    Clam

Welcome DontKnow.

Please please don't rush into getting baptised. The baptism is also an oath of alliegance to the Watchtower Society, which is in effect a cult. They will own you and unless you follow their rules (many of which are unscriptural), you will be cast out by them and shunned.

You owe it to yourself to investigate this religion thoroughly. Thi is the place! You need to take your time and carefully scutinise everything you are being taught by the JWs. Stick around and learn.

Clam

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

JW's act as if they are the only religion to show true love. However, if you look (not so deep) into it, they really don't follow this. When you first associate with them, they do show ALL KINDS OF LOVE....but after being around them for a while, you can see how conditional it is.

People are not only removed for wrongdoing, but, a huge new trend is people being removed for not agreeing with what the society dictates....no matter what the BIBLE says. People in that position lose their friends and families, just like they did commit a serious sin.

Please be careful and keep researching things about this religion. The people themselves are often kind and trying to please Jehovah, but, they are being mislead to think that Jehovah works through the Bethel headquartes. Why would God go through the trouble of perserving the Bible if he was planning to have a group of men to tell everyone what to think and do?

I agree that you can learn a-lot of good things by studying with them, but...there is a whole lot of their own doctrine that you must follow to be a part of them too, and that is not backed by Jehovah's word.

Welcome to the boards....you will find lots of love here too.....as well as many other religions that don't put all kinds of manmade "rules" that you need to follow for acceptance.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I'm very interested in the end of the system of things which will very soon come to fruition;

Well JWs believe that everyone good and bad, elderly or baby, that is not a JW, will be put to death by their God and that will be the end of the system. I find that prospect quite appalling - I have no wish to live in a world under judgement of a god who will slaughter babies with impunity. Luckily I dont believe any of this is true and will continue trying to make the world a better place rather than look forward with relish to its destruction.

I am glad you are skeptical about their vague teachings and would encourage you to challenge and investigate these thoroughly using secular and other rleigious texts as well as your common sense to compare against what JWs teach.

Welcome to the Board!

• jgnat
    jgnat

DontKnow, I had some trouble following your questions until I reorganized them. You might be helped out of your confusion if you did the same. Here is how your question looked once I put them in a diagram:

Pro

Con

I'm very interested in the end of the system of things which will very soon come to fruition

I'm a very strong believer

I'm not sinless

The witnesses I've spoken with didn't come across as unpleasant people

the magazines I've read always say that JWs love their fellow man and try to help others in difficult times

To become a witness requires a lot of deep thought and huge lifestyle changes

but some things are very vague.

I don't like the fact that as I have read in various posts a JW is shunned if he/she associates with non JWs; what is one to do; not speak or have anything to do with life long friends, just end the association? I don't think the bible states that anywhere; it does state to be wary and distance yourself from wrong doers (murderers, adulterers, people involved in disorderly conduct etc, etc).

although I like JWs very much I would go as far as calling them my friends.

From the many posts I've read about the unpleasant experiences ex JWs have been confronted with and some still do feel the ill effects. Th worst thing I've read to date is the horrendous break up of happy families; children being dragged through ugly divorces because some in-laws follow the teachings to the extreme, if I may say something akin to military extreme and precision which they impose on their children.

Q. I'm asking you all what is this or else mean? Will you be given a difficult time?

A. Or else you will be cut off from association and be condemned to die at Armageddon.

Justice

Forgive

The passage in the bible that says "an eye for an eye tooth for a tooth" as I would interpret it means an appropriate just punishment should be applied for a wrong doing.

Does that mean if someone physically hits me I should hit back?

If this is so, then why does Jesus say you must love your enemy and also if someone slaps your cheek turn the other cheek as well. Then doesn't this mean for example if a thief enters my house to rob and/or assault me I should let him do freely as he wishes (because Jesus said you must love your enemy) and I not raise my hand or stick against him to defend myself?

Q. Can you see how confusing this is. I don't know what to think; it's seems contradictory, can someone enlighten me please?

A. It’s not just your imagination, they are contradictory concepts. Understanding how Jesus CHANGED the law will help. I can’t help you with this, you must work out the apparent contradictions yourself.

A. Would you protect your family from an invader?

A. In what circumstances would you forgive in the face of an attack?

Here are some more questions to help you work through your confusion:

• Could it be that some of the features of the Witnesses tickle your fancy, your particular preferences and biases?
    • Are the negative effects on family and shunning a minor matter?
    • Could you satisfy your need for spirituality with another group other than the witnesses?
    • Just because an organization claims sincerity, kindness and truth, does it make it so?
  • Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Dontknow,

WELCOME to the forum. Getting baptised into the Watchtower organization is a HUGE decision, and one I pray you will not run into. Remember, your dedication is in your heart with God. Taking the step of being submerged is only a outward symbol. So just because you don't rush to make that outward symbol, doesn't mean you aren't dedicated to God already.

Being raised in the organization, and having been a very active loyal follower, I appreciate the appeal you find in their teachings. The only thing is that these teachings must be based on God's word, and based on truth. For most of us that are here, we were not nor many of us still have not been disfellowshipped. For many we had questions that we wanted answered. You can have questions, but you cannot question the answers. No matter how rediculous the reasoning. If you question you will be labeled an apostate, and you will be ostrasized from all who you know and love that are in. If they haven't already they will discourage you from having any outside associates, except for those you work with. So if you ever leave the organization you basically have no one.

Please read Synergys recent post if you haven't already. It is long, however, it will give you a very real glimpse inside the organization, that you may not at this point realise exists. Here is her thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/128935/1.ashx

There are many very serious doctorinal issues that are being taught as fact that when researched have no support outside the Watchtowers literature. If you are a lover of truth as I am sure you probably are, then please do some research before you take a step that you will regret.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Welcome to the board,

I was raised as a JW from infancy - I've seen people recruited into this cult and cut off from their family and friends, welcomed into the cult and soon after for whatever reason (questions, rules) they were df'd or da themselves, then they had no one. When coming into this cult you are encouraged to get away from worldy friends and family only to be outcast from these same people if you do not follow all the rules or attempt to question anything.

I think the worst is when you are raised in this cult, because you really don't have anyone else to turn to when they "kick you out". Please Please Please!!! look into this, take some time to read some of the posts here in the forum. You may have an eye opening experience.

Good Luck

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

dontknow,

I felt just like you when I first became associated with Jehovah's Witnesses.

What I give you is my personal expierance. After I became baptized, I slowly began to notice that things wern't the same as when I first became associated. The thing that bothered me the most was how much they stress their own authority in being the 'Faithful and Discreet Slave'.

Once you become JW all that seems to matter is obediance to the 'Slave Class'. Do you know what the 'Slave Class' is? From what I understand they arn't even teaching this to people who become new members, untill after they make a personal commitment.

Do you know they teach that Jesus Christ chose their organization as the only true religion in 1918? Do you know they think the Bible prophesied about the leadership of it's corporation? Do you know that they teach the Bible foretold when specific articles of theirs where going to be written and published?

You may not realize it, but there are alot of things they teach that are basically fairy tales. Much of it is just made up. Do the research and you will see.

-Drew

• poppers
    poppers

Enjoy your right to question now because if you get baptised the right to question and research will get you into trouble. How do you feel about that? Are you willing to give up your ability to question or will you willingly go along with the party line? There's a reason why exdubs call it the "Borg".

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

the JWs are shiny on the surface

read 1) Raymond Franzs "Crisis of Conscience http://www.amazon.com/Crisis-Conscience-Raymond-Franz/dp/0914675044

2) Steve Hassan "Combatting Cult Mind Control" and "Releasing the Bonds" http://www.amazon.com/Combatting-Cult-Mind-Control-Best-selling/dp/0892813113/sr=1-1/qid=1171304737/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1323923-8870325?ie=UTF8&s=books

3) then you will realize they are "Captives of a Concept" http://www.geocities.com/captives_of_a_concept/index.html

WAC - Who spent 10 years at Watchtower Headquarters as an ELDER

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit