Dreamgirls

by Mulan 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mulan
    Mulan

We went to see this movie this afternoon. It was soooo good, and Jennifer Hudson is amazing. I remember her from American Idol, and thought she was way too good for that show, but she got voted off and Ruben Studdard won that year.............or was it Fantasia?

I wonder though, why they have her in the category of Best Supporting Actress for the Oscars. She is a lead actress in this movie, if there ever was one. The whole thing is about her. When she sang "I'm Not Going", I thought the whole audience would stand and cheer, but they did clap. Only about 20 at the Noon show.

The only thing we could think of is that if she was in the Best Actress Category, she would be up against Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep. Less chance of winning.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Who is Jennifer Hudson, Ruben Studdard and Fantasia? Never once watched American Karoke, is it any good?

• free2beme
    free2beme
    I remember her from American Idol, and thought she was way too good for that show

I liked her on American Idol, but her personality did not fit the shows outcome. I heard she had a hard time getting anything going, after, and this movie came around when she had given up. I thought she did wonderful too, and enjoy the fact that winning that show does not mean you are the most successful one of your season.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I didn't get the supporting actress thing. She was totally the main focus of the movie. She was the best singer-I can't even remember the others being showcased at all! She was IT. Awesome movie, interesting story, and beautiful girl. She has a wonderful face! And the voice! OMG, it impressed my son and he is hard to impress.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I didn't get the supporting actress thing. She was totally the main focus of the movie. She was the best singer-I can't even remember the others being showcased at all! She was IT. Awesome movie, interesting story, and beautiful girl. She has a wonderful face! And the voice! OMG, it impressed my son and he is hard to impress.

That was how the two of us reacted too. My hubby came along because I asked him too, but I know he thought it was a "chick flick". Now he's very glad he tagged along.

Interesting side point, for anyone interested: At Jimmy's wake (in the movie), the woman who sang is Loretta Devine. For years on Broadway, she was Effie. I think she originated the role and later Jennifer Holliday did it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit